Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! I can't do it anymore
1  2  3  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 8:24 pm
My baby used to sleep well, only woke up once a night to eat and otherwise everything was fine. I never knew there was such a thing as a 6 month sleep regression but I'm about to explode. He doesn't sleep. Just doesn't. I can't function without sleep and I'm a walking zombie. But really the problem is that I'm scared I'm going to lose my temper with him. I was never the kind of person to get angry but now every time he cries I feel my blood pressure rise and it takes all my self control not to be rough with him. How do you stay calm? Deep breathing and counting down haven't been working

pesek zman

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 8:56 pm
Figure out what the source is. Teething? Growth spurt? Is he sick?

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:02 pm
It's OK at 6 months to do either a straight, or a modified CIO. He won't starve if you don't go to him every time he gets up.

What's he been doing lately?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:03 pm
If he is fed and changed put him in his crib walk out of the room and shut the door.

Nothing bad will happen if he cries for an hour.

Now work on getting yourself help. Be careful who you call and what you say. Say more like "I can't take it anymore. I'm going to collapse from exhaustion". Not "I'm afraid what I could do."

healthymom1

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:05 pm
The baby whisperer is a great book. Highly recommend. Dont worry it will get better.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:56 pm
Maybe he is teething. Tylenol needed. Maybe he is hungry. With a good baby, something must be bothering. Maybe offer child on food or give a bottle.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:58 pm
Hes not teething. That was a couple weeks ago and looked totally different. He's not sick, maybe a growth spurt? I don't even know anymore.

He could go hours screaming in his crib and my upstairs neighbor might lose her mind with me.

I just can't keep my cool, I used to be able to handle it but it's just too much.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:17 pm
are you nursing? maybe it's an ear infection! run to doctor or feed child more!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:19 pm
He's fine during the day, not an ear infection. He's nursing and eats just fine, I can't feed him all night!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
He's fine during the day, not an ear infection. He's nursing and eats just fine, I can't feed him all night!

How long has this been going on for? Does he want to eat? 6 months is classic for a growth spurt. Feed him well, at night too, and hopefully it will pass.

rivkam

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:28 pm
Have you gone back to work recently or is he suddenly going to day care? He may be wanting to nurse a lot as he doesn't get the opportunity during the day

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:29 pm
No, he's been at day care since he was 3 months old

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:34 pm
If you feel like you can't take it anymore, your baby is better off crying in his crib while you sleep with the covers pulled over your head. Signed, Mommy who absolutely doesn't believe in CIO but has been that desperate

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How long has this been going on for? Does he want to eat? 6 months is classic for a growth spurt. Feed him well, at night too, and hopefully it will pass.

It's been like 2 weeks. He'll eat and fall asleep and when I put him in the crib he screams and screams. No amount of patting and pacifier calms him

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:09 pm
First, you need to make sure that your baby is safe. Where is your husband? Have your shared your feelings with him? If you can't handle the night alone make a plan with your husband to share it. This is his kid too. Take shifts, or work out another way, but do get him involved. Pump a bottle before you go to sleep or choose 1 feed for formula so your husband cab do it and you can sleep.

Second, its OK to let the baby cry. And also if baby is rolling over its ok to change baby's sleep position to make the transition from nursing to bed easier (down on stomach instead of back). Its OK to let baby cry for the length of time they go between feedings during the day (usually 3 hours by 6 months).

Once you've gotten some sleep look at your food choices. Are you eating anything different from before? New foods order significantly more or less? Are you drinking enough? Are you under more stress?

But first sleep. If your neighbor has issues with the crying let her take the baby for the night.

Hatzlacha and sweet dreams!

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
Hes not teething. That was a couple weeks ago and looked totally different. He's not sick, maybe a growth spurt? I don't even know anymore.

He could go hours screaming in his crib and my upstairs neighbor might lose her mind with me.

I just can't keep my cool, I used to be able to handle it but it's just too much.

Sleep training usually only takes a couple of days. You can warn the neighbors if necessary.

A couple of days with long crying times, then many months of blessed sleep.

It's worth it.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:23 pm
I guess I really need to sleep train then.

My husband has been taking shifts with me but it's our first and he has no baby experience so it hasn't been all that successful. And I can't sleep while he screams even if he's in my husband's arms.
He also learnt to roll from back to stomach but not the other way so he rolls over and screams because he hates his stomach.

I think I need tools on how to stay calm more than anything else. In my head I know it'll pass but in the moment I'm going crazy

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:42 pm
Does.he eat food yet? It may be time to start. Any way you.can make a 4 oz bottle before you put him in and see if that helps?

thegiver

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:49 pm
I smile and laugh at my baby when he cries. It helps me cope. Otherwisei find the crying unbearable. Think “how cute and sad at the sametime” then I massage his back or legs and help him calm down. In terms of sleep have hubby get him half the time and u half. Pump and have himbottle feed. For teething google the spot on his toe that reflexologists say soothes pain xoxo this too shall pass

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:50 pm
Could it really be that he's hungry? He nurses as regular and falls asleep nursing sometimes or drifts off in my arms and when I put him down he won't calm. I don't think that's hungry...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics