Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! I can't do it anymore
Previous  1  2  3  Next

rivkam

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I really need to sleep train then.

My husband has been taking shifts with me but it's our first and he has no baby experience so it hasn't been all that successful. And I can't sleep while he screams even if he's in my husband's arms.
He also learnt to roll from back to stomach but not the other way so he rolls over and screams because he hates his stomach.

I think I need tools on how to stay calm more than anything else. In my head I know it'll pass but in the moment I'm going crazy

My new born used to do this and I ended up co sleeping because that's the only way he would sleep sometimes

jewish613

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:03 pm
Calming music? Maybe it could help you and baby relax. If not, would headphones with music/entertainment help keep you calm and drown out the crying when you know baby is safe?

hesha

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:08 pm
6 months is a good time to sleep train
Make sure he is full
Then put him to bed. Let him cry for
Five min and then go in, Pat his back, put pacifier in, calmly say shh it’s sleeping time, and walk out. Keep repeating. Even if you do it 12 times an hour. Eventually he will get the idea. Takes like 3 , 4 nights

worldpeace

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:11 pm
Find a nice soothing song ; play on repeat
I did that and my baby loved it

proudmom8

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
He's fine during the day, not an ear infection. He's nursing and eats just fine, I can't feed him all night!

This! Definitely take him to dr to have ears checked! Only crying at night is an absolute sign of a possible ear infection as it hurts them when they’re lying down and during the day when they’re not lying down for such a long stretch it doesn’t hurt them and they are fine.

This is how I knew that 1 of my babies had ear infections. They’d be totally fine and only symptom was that they would cry all night and be fine by day. Hopefully it’s something as simple as that and some medication will help the poor baby if he/she is in pain.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:02 pm
Take him to the dr. Might be reflux bothering him or colic

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:00 pm
Any new recipes? My kid hated spicy food, black pepper and even too many gassy vegetables. Try eliminating that from your diet for 2 weeks... It's a long term solution but I saw a difference in a day or so (what you eat comes out in milk like 6-12 hours later so it isn't for instant results...).

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 12:34 am
amother wrote:
Take him to the dr. Might be reflux bothering him or colic

THIS. It could be either one, or both. DD had horrible colic, and she screamed so loud I was afraid the neighbors would call CPS on us - and we lived in a detached house!

I learned to set her down someplace safe and walk away for a few minutes, just to save my sanity. Another thing that helped, was to imagine if she disappeared. I had a mantra:

I love this baby.
I prayed for this baby.
I would be sad if the baby was gone.

Repeat over, and over, and over. It really helps.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 12:45 am
hesha wrote:
6 months is a good time to sleep train
Make sure he is full
Then put him to bed. Let him cry for
Five min and then go in, Pat his back, put pacifier in, calmly say shh it’s sleeping time, and walk out. Keep repeating. Even if you do it 12 times an hour. Eventually he will get the idea. Takes like 3 , 4 nights

THIS
If he isn't on solids, start now. One solid feeding before bed time will help him sleep thru the night.
Then, definitely the time to sleep train as described above. I personally believe in Ferber method where first it's five min, then 10, then 15. If you're exhausted you'll be able to sleep for those 15 min until you get up again to sooth.
Our pediatrician once told us that when nursing mommy goes to baby in middle of night it's like walking in with chocolate cake. Even if he's not starving he'll want to eat. If daddy can possibly do at least half of the sleep training with you, it'll make it easier for baby. And you. And you can take 30 min naps while he CIO until it's your shift to go sooth.
Hatzlacha! This too shall pass!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:35 am
My baby is 1 and was up every 2 hours last night and was nursing round the clock. And he ate plenty yesterday
So yeah I am tired...and totally get you...hoping you had a better night than I did

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:39 am
THis makes me think heartburn. I have it. My babies had it. YOu can both be up with the baby the baby will cry. Maybe ask a ped about trying meds. Life saver. I'm like you that I cannot function without sleep.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:00 am
Yup, reflux. He may need some medication and a slightly elevated mattress.
As for the turning over, either work with him during the day to teach him how to roll back or get him a sleeping aid that keeps him snug in his position, so no turning.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:08 am
I haven't changed my diet at all, why would he suddenly get reflux? He had when he was very little and I went off dairy and it went away

He had a well visit a week ago and the Dr basically said he's fine and sleep regressions are normal. I don't really have any new info to bring to the Dr that would warrant going again...

ggdm

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:12 am
Hugs. I feel with you, I too absolutely cannot function without sleep. Would it help you to get one night of sleep? Ask DH to take over the next night with the baby in a different room. You wear earplugs so you don't hear the crying. DH can feed formula. Or he can bring the baby to you for nursing ONLY and take him away afterwards for everything else, so that you don't have to get up. Then you can sleep a night. Everything will look different already after one night of sleep. Of course even better if DH can do a night every so often. And him having to work is not an excuse. He will survive one bad night. You cannot survive without sleep for weeks. Hugs!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:14 am
At that age my daughter had a bottle of milk her crib which she took if she woke up. Not great for oral hygiene. I switched it to water a few months later without problem.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS. It could be either one, or both. DD had horrible colic, and she screamed so loud I was afraid the neighbors would call CPS on us - and we lived in a detached house!

I learned to set her down someplace safe and walk away for a few minutes, just to save my sanity. Another thing that helped, was to imagine if she disappeared. I had a mantra:

I love this baby.
I prayed for this baby.
I would be sad if the baby was gone.

Repeat over, and over, and over. It really helps.

I try so so so hard to keep repeating that to myself because I'm so grateful to be a mother and I know it's a stage and I know it'll be over and I know it's worth it. But when he's finally sleeping and I finally fall asleep and he's up 3 minutes later, I don't know what to do with myself

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:19 am
There are different types of reflux... Acid reflux, silent reflux etc... He might have outgrown 1 but worthwhile to check about other... Or who says it didn't come back?!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
I haven't changed my diet at all, why would he suddenly get reflux? He had when he was very little and I went off dairy and it went away

He had a well visit a week ago and the Dr basically said he's fine and sleep regressions are normal. I don't really have any new info to bring to the Dr that would warrant going again...

Take him to a gastroenterologist. They have the ability to diagnose silent reflux.

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:16 am
amother wrote:

He also learnt to roll from back to stomach but not the other way so he rolls over and screams because he hates his stomach.

Have you tried the soft angled pillow shapes that prevent a baby from rolling over?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:21 am
He sounds awfully cute. I love the 6 month age.

Personally I don't do cio. If you do, for sure get him looked at at dr first to rule out ear infection/sore throat. (Last thing you need is to start cio with a sick kid)

There are many ways to sleep train. Look them up and see what might be easiest for you
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics