Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do you do with teeth your child lost?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:32 am
What do you do with the teeth once they fall out? Keep? Dispose? If so, how?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:37 am
They keep them in a small container.
My mother threw them out her window into the garden, she said she was planting rocks.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:05 am
Asking seriously - is this addressed in Halacha?

rgr

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:45 am
"Disappear " them quietly

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:38 am
Iymnok wrote:
They keep them in a small container.
My mother threw them out her window into the garden, she said she was planting rocks.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter I'm laughing so hard right now!

I can totally see your mom doing that.

I keep DD's teeth in a small jewelry box. DD thinks it's gross and morbid, and that I should toss them. I can't help it, I'm sentimental!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter I'm laughing so hard right now!

I can totally see your mom doing that.

I keep DD's teeth in a small jewelry box. DD thinks it's gross and morbid, and that I should toss them. I can't help it, I'm sentimental!

Every year when she plants the garden, she harvests them. Sometimes the teeth have grown into quite impressive rocks.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:43 am
Save them. There's some promising research out there on stem cell therapy from baby teeth and we never know when that could come to good use.

WastingTime

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:35 am
Uh...garbage...

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:49 am
The tooth is placed under the child's pillow for the tooth fairy to exchange for a quarter. The tooth fairy takes the tooth with him/her.

chani8

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 12:02 pm
My policy is to give the child five shekels to throw their baby teeth into the garbage.

There is no halacha, afaik, but you can probably regard it the same as you would fingernails or hair. Throw it away and wash your hands.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 3:13 pm
My mother buys off my kids teeth. A dollar per tooth. I have no clue what she does with them.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 3:41 pm
I typically clean them, put them in a tiny plastic bag, tuck the precious keepsake away in a safe place to figure out what to do with it later, and then when I am cleaning up months later and find it and have no idea which kid it belongs to anymore I throw it away.

Seas

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:18 pm
I string them on a necklace as a warning to my enemies.

(That's a joke BTW)

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:22 pm
Seas wrote:
Rolling Laughter

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:31 pm
Seas wrote:

(That's a joke BTW)

I do something similar! I didn't save my kids' teeth, but when I had all-on-four implants done a few years ago, the oral surgeon gave me all my old teeth in a nice little box.

Except old permanent teeth aren't cute like baby teeth. In fact, they're seriously nasty-looking. Plus, the whole reason they'd fallen apart was because of prolonged antibiotic exposure when I was a teenager, so they're even nastier-looking than normal.

But I keep the box in my bedside drawer, and when DH pushes me too far, I take it out and say, "Hey, wanna see my teeth?" Since he is possibly the most squeamish person in the history of mankind, this makes him shudder and instantly drop whatever topic has me agitated in favor of arguing about why taunting him with my old teeth is wrong.

Listen, you get to a certain age and you take your entertainment where you find it. Very Happy

abaker

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:21 pm
we asked our rav who said no problem, throw them in the trash. however I think my parents may have some of my baby teeth stashed somewhere, but eww in my opinion.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:35 pm
eww throw them away.

don't be like my MIL who saved her baby's upsherin hair for 30 years and then gave it to me??!!! wth?? I immediately tossed that "gift" in the trash.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:20 pm
My daughter set the precedent by "loosing" her first tooth. (It fell out at school, and then she lost it before coming home.) The principal gave some perspective by saying "don't worry, they are supposed to be lost." Since then, I haven't bothered to save them.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:35 pm
I keep a few in the freezer in case I ever need DNA samples, G-d forbid.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:45 pm
Iymnok wrote:

OP here. This is my favorite. I'm tired of keeping them in a jewelry box for more than a decade, so they can be buried right outside my bedroom window. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children