Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Must she take his last name?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:25 pm
Well if the name is d!ck or Stuhl - I know people who are super immature about it so I get the issue but don't know how I would deal.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:42 pm
I have cousins who did this (chose a new last name together). Both of their families were unhappy but eventually moved on. Be prepared for a potentially big conflict at first.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:17 pm
I took my husbands weird last name.
No regrets. My kids ignore the comments.
This should be my biggest problem in life.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:30 pm
My husband has a weird hard to pronounce last name. I wasn't happy about it, but I said at least it doesn mean something like schmaltz or elephant. That would have majorly bothered me. Sounds like that is the case here. I think your daughter's idea is a good one, but it depends on the boy's personality. My husband and his family would have been highly insulted.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:05 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Well if the name is d!ck or Stuhl - I know people who are super immature about it so I get the issue but don't know how I would deal.

One of my cousins married someone with the name d!ck. She kept it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:11 pm
There's a frum pediatrician in Brooklyn Dr. d!ck. I don't understand how someone can have such a name.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:09 pm
Interesting topic for me. My current husband was redt to me when I was 19. I said no before I even met him because I hated the last name. I ended up marrying a horrible man with a nice name. Fast forward 9 years later I got divorced and guess what, my current husband's wife had passed away and we got married... Some things are meant to be! I now have no issue with the name- it's the man that counts!

penguin

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:06 pm
Quote:
Stuhl
Pardon my ignorance - וואס מיינט דאס?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:12 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Stuhl
Pardon my ignorance - וואס מיינט דאס?

As a guess -- stool -- fecal matter.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:42 pm
OP, myob. It’s your dd decision and hers alone after discussing with her young man. YOU have nothing to say to the matter at all.

Assuming you are in the US, your daughter has no legal obligation to take her dh surname. Nor is she obligated to keep yours, for that matter. As a PP noted, she can take his, keep hers, use both with or without hyphen, or make up something with or without connection to either. So long as there is no intent to defraud anyone, she can call herself anything she pleases. And they can call their future children anything they please, too. Triple-named families (Dr. Miriam Harta, Mr. Herbert Hiering and Dandelion, Breeze, and Shoppingcart Hartahiering) are not all that uncommon. Somehow everyone who needs to manages to figure out who belongs to whom.

Don’t you think it’s equally confusing when there are six kids in one class all named Rosenberg, only two of whom are related to each other? Or, worse yet, three cousins, whose dads are brothers, all named Chaim Yankel Itzkowitz for their paternal grandpa obm?

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:46 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
As a guess -- stool -- fecal matter.

Wrong. It means a chair in Russian, Yiddish and German.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:52 pm
zaq wrote:
Wrong. It means a chair in Russian, Yiddish and German.

Also right- but when my relative named Stuhl, was waiting in the waiting room for the results of her Strept culture- there were many giggles when the nurse came out to say out loud "that the Stuhl culture was negative".
I did advise that she use the Yiddish version of Shtuhl.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:19 pm
Likely the name in this case is not just a strange pronunciation or out of the ordinary and more likely a body part or bodily function. I understand her dilemma.

Miri7

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:53 pm
It's up to her. As a mother, I wouldn't tell her what "I" would do. She and her future DH need to figure out what they want to do. If they opt for a third name, or do something that's different, there could be a LOT of pushback from family, but, IME, that passes pretty quickly.

penguin

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:40 pm
There are some names that just make you wonder what the parents were thinking, once they got to the US and realized what the name means, why they didn't change it.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:15 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Also right- but when my relative named Stuhl, was waiting in the waiting room for the results of her Strept culture- there were many giggles when the nurse came out to say out loud "that the Stuhl culture was negative".
I did advise that she use the Yiddish version of Shtuhl.

HIPAA?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:13 am
amother wrote:
There's a frum pediatrician in Brooklyn Dr. d!ck. I don't understand how someone can have such a name.

So odd. I also know a frum pediatrician with the name d!ck. But she lives in New Jersey. I wonder if she commutes to Brooklyn or there are two with the same name??!!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:07 am
Please, please let her make up her own mind about this, and please, please do not pressure or guilt her, and hope his parents would be the same.

Dh and I both changed our last names together when we got married. We had our reasons and it was, without a doubt, the best choice for us. My parents were fine with it but we were heavily guilted by my in-laws. While there's something to be said about retaining tradition, there's also something to be said about a newly married couple moving forward into the future as a new family. Your daughter needs to do what's best for her, and I hope you are able to support her in that.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:54 am
Lots of posters are telling OP to mind her own business and let her DD figure it out for herself, but OP has stated that her DD has specifically sought her advice on the matter - not innapropriate given that the couple are still dating, not even engaged. It seems that OP simply wants to hear different perspectives on the issue so she can help her daughter. Additionally, she might be trying to gauge how often this sort of thing happens.

Anyway, DD could certinly keep her maiden name, they could combine both names (if that would work) or choose a new name together, perhaps an adaptaion of his name, but they obviously need to figure it out together. It sounds as if the boy doesn't really like the name either so he might be pleased not to pass it on to his children.

Did I read right that his sister is married but kept the "bad" name?

In my country, women do not change their names when they marry but obviously OP is not from here ;-)

I really hope a solution can be reached because it's so hard to find the right person.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
So odd. I also know a frum pediatrician with the name d!ck. But she lives in New Jersey. I wonder if she commutes to Brooklyn or there are two with the same name??!!

You mean Dr. Dina d!ck?
She lives in Morristown NJ works in KJ
I love her and didn't think about the meaning of her name. Her refined personality devotion and finesse are all that I see.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette