Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need help organizing menu for sukkos please!!!!

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:21 pm
I need help with how much to make ie amounts per meal. How many mains per meal/ sides etc.
All together it’s 6 children & 10 adults for every meal.
I really need help with easy food to make also.
Menu ideas would be really appreciated!
I work full time & have a SN child. Want to make a nice Yom Tov but need help with what to do when.
Thx !!

srbmom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:46 pm
I make myself a chart with a column for each meal and 7 rows
The rows are as follows --
1. Appetizer, 2. meat main, 3. chicken main, 4. carb side dish, 5. Cooked veggie side dish, 6. salad, 7. dessert
I make and freeze everything except the salad. My goal is to make one or two things a night that I can freeze. I will also double some things and repeat them for the second days

teachkids

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:02 pm
Also, feel free to reuse food in different pairings. Ex: serve chicken one with meat 1 on day 1, and the same chicken again with a different meat on 2nd night.
I find it's easiest to spend 1 night on kugels, 1 night on baking, etc. And double each thing. Your family won't mind eating the same thing twice and your company won't know you already served it.

Simplest chickens involve pouring something on the chicken and sticking it in the oven or Crock-Pot.

Keep your veggies simple too. Frozen veggies are the easiest. Just season and saute or bake.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 5:55 pm
All meat or dairy too? Do you cook in yomtov or want everything done before

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:01 pm
srbmom wrote:
I make myself a chart with a column for each meal and 7 rows
The rows are as follows --
1. Appetizer, 2. meat main, 3. chicken main, 4. carb side dish, 5. Cooked veggie side dish, 6. salad, 7. dessert
I make and freeze everything except the salad. My goal is to make one or two things a night that I can freeze. I will also double some things and repeat them for the second days

Love this idea.
Can u give some examples of what u made/make?
Do u ever try anything new? Or is it all tried & true recipes? I ask b/c there was a recipe in Mishpacha for mock yerushalmi kugel which I made (doubled the recipe!) & threw it away 😞. It was so bad. I usually make squishys yerushalmi kugel from ima mother but thought I’d try something new and fun Sad

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:21 pm
I like to break down my meals as night meals and day meals. My night meals have 1. Appetizer or soup , depending on the weather . If it's cool I serve soup otherwise I don't.
Appetizers can be ex: a salmon dish, (small portions), vegetable turnovers with mushroom sauce , sushi salad etc.
2. Soup is usually butternut squash soup, chicken soup with noodles or zuchinni soup
I only serve soup at night and usually a fish dish as an appetizer by day.
3. I serve chicken at night and red meat by day. But if I have lots of adult guests I'll usually have one of each incase someone prefers one over the other. I find that roasts or baked minute steaks in the oven are easiest to serve and freeze well and reheat very well.
Chicken roasts I cook on erev Yom Tov. All other chicken dishes I prep and freeze in advance and cook /bake erev Yom Tov . Stuffed chicken Capons, chicken cutlet and pastrami roll ups, chicken cutlets with a good sauce baked in the oven , apricot chicken bottoms etc.
4. My sides usually are usually a starch such as: mashed potatoes , rice, orzo, Lo mein etc. and vegetable sides , sometimes in a Quiche , a turnover , Kugel or just roasted , grilled, sautéed etc.
I also have a sweet side , like apple Kugel, cherry turnovers, apple vanilla custard muffins etc.
5. I serve one dessert per meal

Note: in addition to the above I put out at least one , but usually two different types of fresh salad on the table that stays on the table throughout the meal. Some people take that instead of an appetizer. Others eat it as a side instead of a starch etc.
I serve on platters when I have guests and everyone takes what they want.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:10 pm
You might want to look over the Sukkos menu threads from previous years.

I sympathize with your kugel story. I also had to learn the hard way -- make half, not double, of a new recipe, and try it yourself first.

I like to do smoked turkey breast for one meal, then Cajun gumbo with red beans and rice for another meal. Brisket and kasha for a meal, then kasha varnishkes as a side for another. Roast squash, then squash soup. White rice, then fried rice or sushi salad. Fry up a bunch of onions, then use them in all kinds of recipes -- sauteed mushrooms, green beans with onions and almonds, aforementioned squash soup. Etc.

Which things go where usually depends on the size of the crowd, known likes and dislikes/allergies, and the weather. I like to have kid friendly alternatives at all the meals, too.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:15 pm
imasinger wrote:
You might want to look over the Sukkos menu threads from previous years.

I sympathize with your kugel story. I also had to learn the hard way -- make half, not double, of a new recipe, and try it yourself first.

I like to do smoked turkey breast for one meal, then Cajun gumbo with red beans and rice for another meal. Brisket and kasha for a meal, then kasha varnishkes as a side for another. Roast squash, then squash soup. White rice, then fried rice or sushi salad. Fry up a bunch of onions, then use them in all kinds of recipes -- sauteed mushrooms, green beans with onions and almonds, aforementioned squash soup. Etc.

Which things go where usually depends on the size of the crowd, known likes and dislikes/allergies, and the weather. I like to have kid friendly alternatives at all the meals, too.

I like your idea of using a dish and transforming it for another meal. I did that yesterday. I took chicken pastrami roll ups that were leftover from the first night and sliced it up into a ceasar salad for the meal yesterday afternoon.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:17 pm
Leave somethings to make on yontiv. U will magically see you don’t actuallh need them after all!!! Freeze any perishable ingredients

srbmom

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:59 pm
Quote:
Can u give some examples of what u made/make?
Do u ever try anything new? Or is it all tried & true recipes? I ask b/c there was a recipe in Mishpacha for mock yerushalmi kugel which I made (doubled the recipe!) & threw it away

I use mostly tried and true recipes. Or if I'm trying something new, I have a few cookbooks that I have had luck with and know that almost anything I make from them I can trust will come out good. (As a rule - I never make recipes from magazines except as an experiment for my own family - they almost never come out right.)
Some sides I already made and froze are lukshen kugel, potato kugel, cranberry pineapple kugel, butternut squash kugel, green beans, veggie wontons, vegetable burekas, cabbage and noodles, veggie rice

- writing that out I see I still have a lot to do!

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:43 am
Thunderstorm, I want to thank for telling me about your pastrami orzo with craisins and veggies . It was sooo good !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics