Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Good tablecloth for the sukkah?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 11:38 am
In the past I've used disposable plastic tablecloths, with a clear plastic on top. It works fine but I'm looking for something a little nicer, but still needs to be waterproof obviously.

So I guess what I need is a vinyl type tablecloth? Does anyone have a recommendation of one that doesn't look very casual? I know in Jewish stores I can get a 'faux leather" (fancy speak for vinyl?) one, but I'm not looking to spend $160+ on a tablecloth.

Does anyone have experience buying vinyl/pleather from a fabric store to use? If I do this, will the edges be raw and I'd need to have it sewn up?

Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:03 pm
Go to a fabric store and buy yourself the length of venal you need. Sew or hot glue some lace, ribbon or beads if you want it fancier.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:05 pm
The Closeout Connection should have what you are looking for.

mommyla

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:07 pm
I have faux leather from Closeout Connection if you have one near you. Looks great, waterproof, easy to clean, and way less than $160. I liked them so much I bought one for Pesach too!

Simple1

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:09 pm
I use disposable party table clothes that come in a lace design, silver or gold. I imagine you can lay them over another solid color if you don't want to show the table underneath. I don't know where you live but I've been getting them from NPGS grocery, Lakewood.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:35 pm
I use this one in the "foliage" pattern (most of the other patterns are very 1940's kitchen, too casual for me):
https://www.vermontcountrystor.....55098

It is shiny and smooth, so easier to wipe clean than a textured vinyl tablecloth, but more casual than "indoor" tablecloths. We have been using the same one for many years. It is just starting to show wear and the short ends curl a little, but I would say it has held up very well and I am satisfied with the purchase. They have unfinished lengths of fabric available in case you want to make your own.

I have seen water resistant (not glossy coated) fabric tablecloths at garden shows. They look and feel fabulous, but I don't know where to buy them in stores. A quick look on Amazon is promising, if you want to do some online sleuthing.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:38 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Go to a fabric store and buy yourself the length of venal you need. Sew or hot glue some lace, ribbon or beads if you want it fancier.

Thanks- was just wondering if I would have to do this, or if the edges get cut relatively cleanly, so I could leave it as is. I've never been to a fabric store before so I don't know how it would work

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:38 pm
mommyla wrote:
I have faux leather from Closeout Connection if you have one near you. Looks great, waterproof, easy to clean, and way less than $160. I liked them so much I bought one for Pesach too!

Thanks! Looking online they seem to have all 2 tone ones, is yours 2 tone? Or one solid color?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:40 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I use disposable party table clothes that come in a lace design, silver or gold. I imagine you can lay them over another solid color if you don't want to show the table underneath. I don't know where you live but I've been getting them from NPGS grocery, Lakewood.

Not so much worried about the table showing underneath, but I'm just looking for something a little thicker. I don't live in Lakewood but I think I've seen the lacey disposables you're referrring to. Thanks!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:41 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Thanks! Looking online they seem to have all 2 tone ones, is yours 2 tone? Or one solid color?
my sister just gifted me one from Closeout Connection for Rosh Hashana. It's all white with a light grey trim that hangs over the sides . It looks like a white tablecloth.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:42 pm
I use a nice cloth tablecloth with a heavy duty disposable tablecloth on top. Before we leave the sukkah, we roll up the used one and replace with a new one, with a weight or tablecloth clips to hold it down so the plastic doesn't blow away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics