Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Spoiler Alert: M. Kenan - The Dark Secrets
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:51 pm
The sequel to Betrayal and Outcast by M. Kenan is now available in the US. I am in the middle of reading it, but being a stickler for details, I am bothered by one thing.

As in the preceding volumes, there is a list of characters in the beginning (much, much longer though, including some only in the previous books). As I read it I was immediately struck when the name of the mother of Istrak and Tur, first wife of King Reuel is given as Devorah. That sounded totally unfamiliar, so I pulled out the previous volumes where it said that her name was Basya!

Now, I am only almost halfway through Dark Secrets but I haven't seen anything mentioned yet that would be cause to use a different name for her.

So, does anyone know M. Kenan or the translator, Libby Lazewnik who might be able to shed more information on this?

BTW, I am enjoying the book so far.

Last edited by OOTBubby on Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dollyz

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:18 pm
Can't help you, but I've been waiting for that book since reading the last one. Thanks for letting me know it's available!!

momi

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:36 pm
I was so looking forward to that release! Does it tie up loose ends ? Is it worth the read?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:38 pm
momi wrote:
I was so looking forward to that release! Does it tie up loose ends ? Is it worth the read?

It is a good read, but I'm only around half way through so I can't answer about the loose ends. So far it has really only opened up more issues.

pbandjelly

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 6:12 am
Did anyone finish the book yet? It was really good! But I can't believe that one of the characters died!! ahh I need to discuss this...but don't want to give any spoilers!

keym

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 6:18 am
pbandjelly wrote:
Did anyone finish the book yet? It was really good! But I can't believe that one of the characters died!! ahh I need to discuss this...but don't want to give any spoilers!

I finished also. Really enjoyed. Agree about that character.

EishesYo

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 6:31 am
I also finished it aka devoured it. Also so upset the character died. Wonder if theres yet another book to look forward to...

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 6:58 am
keym wrote:
I finished also. Really enjoyed. Agree about that character.

Same here.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 7:00 am
EishesYo wrote:
I also finished it aka devoured it. Also so upset the character died. Wonder if theres yet another book to look forward to...

I haven't heard of one yet. They are published in Hebrew first and this one was out in Israel around a year ago. I hear about it from my Israeli DGC. I assume that I will hear when they get another one. I would assume there should be another one coming because while this one tied up the issues started in it, it didn't deal with the big issue of the 2 Khazars.

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 11:54 am
Am I the only one that couldn't get past the first chapter?

keym

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 12:31 pm
happyone wrote:

Did you read the first 2 books? I really enjoyed the first 2, so even though the beginning of the third was slow moving, I pushed through. By page 50 it becamevreally enjoyable.

EishesYo

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 10:23 am
happyone wrote:

I had that with the first ‘the betrayal’ I read it a few times till I got into it...

1ofbillions

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 8:25 pm
Just finished it. I loved it! It is kind of odd that it didn’t resolve any plot lines from previous books- it just resolved the ones it created within this one book. I really enjoyed reading it anyways, though...

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:23 pm
Actually horrified about the ending. I was probably her biggest fan until I finished the book. How can u kill him?? And how can it be he died before anyone can know he was innocent??
Does anyone relate? Need support

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:56 pm
im with you!

didnt love the more recent titles....

I want to go back to the old days when she was my favorite and her books were gold

Hidden

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:17 am
Does anyone know if there's a fourth book in that series in the making?

I wasn't into the most recent book, but Wildlands is AMAZING (it came out around 2 years ago)

pineforest

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 2:17 am
Yes this book caused a storm and almost a crisis among many Kenans readers her in Israel

It's been discussed extensively in articles ,endless threads online. I've heard that in panels in seminarim she is saying' now I know what what you are going to ask me
- and everyone:
Why did you kill Yakvael?

She's aware of the critics but I don't know if she's regretting for it

I feel that she comes with a pre-built agenda of some kind of Midas Hadin and great moral responsibility that she demands from all the characters, and kind of doesn't accept excuses
I personally find her writing sophisticated and brilliant, so visual images, but I find life softer and more complex, even from my maternal perspective. I believe that the Bore Olam does not ignore everyone's personal voice, in his own path, in suffering, even in the wrong choices he makes in his way, Hashem is there, waiting for him.
The evidence as presented in the book is a bit rigid to me

banana123

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:33 am
So cool. I didn't know that they'd been translated.* I only read Istarak. I'm kind of curious to read the second book but I feel like it is all the regular stuff dressed up in Jewish clothing. So I don't really feel like I'm missing out, despite the curiosity. (I still need to return Istarak to my friend though.)

She killed Yakvael? That's awful.

*I opened the thread because M. Kenan sounded familiar and I wanted to know if it was the same מ. קינן I was thinking of. Which it is.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:56 am
OOTbubby, if you're following can you edit your OP to include spoiler alert p. 3 for those who haven't read it yet? (Not me, I read them all.)

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:59 am
PinkFridge wrote:
OOTbubby, if you're following can you edit your OP to include spoiler alert p. 3 for those who haven't read it yet? (Not me, I read them all.)

I've added it but I don't see what I revealed there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room