Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Need a new laptop/desktop

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:28 pm
So our laptop is officially at the point where it’s not worth the money to fix it. It is infuriatingly slow and basically not repairable. I am pretty clueless about computers and would love advice or recommendations of what to buy. We were told by a friend who works in the field that anything under $500 will break after a couple years, not sure how accurate that is. We can afford more if needed but would much rather pay less and keep saving for a down payment!

We usually use basic internet and email, Microsoft office, davka writer, etc. It stays in one place for 10 months a year, but we do go away for the summer so we probably need to go the laptop route rather than desktop.

Any computer savvy ladies have recommendations of what features to look for or specific computers to look into?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:35 pm
Do you NEED to use specifically Microsoft Office and Davka?

If you switch to a Mac, you can get a used iMac for under $250 ( https://www.macofalltrades.com.....ceasc ). The built in apps (Pages, Text Edit, Keynote, Numbers) and Google apps may function perfectly well as a substitute for Office, and Mellel ($50) is a fantastic substitute for Davka for Hebrew support (made by Israelis).

I have purchased cheap used Macs that I was able to use for well over 5 years, even with daily use.

I have used Mac laptops as well, but the iMacs tend to last longer.

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:42 pm
Thanks for responding!

So the issue with switching off of davka is that my husband is a rebbi and works in a very collaborative setting with other rabbeim. All the others use davka at this point (including the classroom computer/projector) so unless Mellel is totally compatible I don’t think he can switch at this point.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:47 pm
It may be worth looking into DavkaWriter for Mac - it's expensive at $170, but supposedly can hand off well with the Windows version, and it will still leave you at under $500.

https://davkawriter.com/produc.....r-mac

ETA: I have traveled with my iMac (I have a bag for it) multiple times and it's still in great shape.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics