Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Political pulpits

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 10:19 am
Among the non-Orthodox, the Rosh Hashona sermons often tended to be political. I wonder how many who listened actually changed their own actions and behavior as a result. In my mind anyway, if a sermon is encouraging more Torah learning, giving tzedukah, treating fellow Jews with ahavas Yisroel, and so on, there will often be an initial, if temporary, increase in those mitzvahs.

But my question is, are the listeners of a political speech going to do anything different from what they are doing?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 11:14 am
Some people, particularly if they are politically apathetic, ignorant or confused, “vote their clergy” iow vote for whoever or whatever their spiritual leader says is good for their community or concerns.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:27 pm
deleted

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 16 2018, 7:25 am; edited 3 times in total

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Among the non-Orthodox, the Rosh Hashona sermons often tended to be political. I wonder how many who listened actually changed their own actions and behavior as a result. In my mind anyway, if a sermon is encouraging more Torah learning, giving tzedukah, treating fellow Jews with ahavas Yisroel, and so on, there will often be an initial, if temporary, increase in those mitzvahs.

But my question is, are the listeners of a political speech going to do anything different from what they are doing?

I've been a member of Reform, Conservative and Orthodox (obviously) congregations, and the only place I've ever heard a political sermon was at the Orthodox shul. Including one memorable occasion on which a guest speaker started excoriating a politician who -- apparently unbeknownst to the speaker -- happens to be a member of the shul. (The politician walked out.) So I'm really not seeing this is a R-C-O thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics