Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Poor appetite underweight

ectomorph

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:25 pm
My toddler is very underweight and has a poor appetite.
What are some tips you've found to get a toddler to eat more? They prefers red lentil soup to peanut butter cookies but even foods they like they'll only eat a bite or two and they're full.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:27 pm
It is a type of thing I would ask my doctor I remember when my sisters were underweight the doctor yelled at my mother , he said just give them ice cream so they at least have some calcium in their body.
you should also check out if they possibly have Celiac, sometimes that's a factor or strep

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:28 pm
My toddler also needed a boost. I put olive oil on all his cooked food and gave him an avocado for breakfast every day. It helped a lot.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:30 pm
Have gone to many doctors. I am looking for behavioral or fun food suggestions. Gastrointerology said s/he's basically fine. No celiac etc.

shana rishona

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:40 pm
My toddler is exactly like this.His nutritionist told us to give include fats at every meal like coconut cream,avocado,peanutbutter or olive oil.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:48 pm
I used to feed my underweight toddler while he was watching a video. I found he just didn’t have the patience to sit and eat so I’d stick food in his mouth while he was playing or doing anything to keep busy.
Bh it worked to bring his weight back up and make him stronger but I had to keep doing this till he was about 5.
I would literally follow him around the house with a plate of food because he wouldn’t sit down. If he wasn’t so underweight I would have called myself an insane mother. But I did what was needed. And it worked.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:49 pm
I was one of those kids under drs orders to eat ice cream every day Smile

Offer snacks more often, he may just have a small stomach.
Things like: crackers and peanut butter, milkshakes, yogurt drinks.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:52 pm
Vitamin b1 helps regulate appetite.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:14 pm
My doctor had me feeding my son custards and creams when he was a baby. Now he’s overweight. Unless your doctor says he’s at a dangerously low weight, then leave him be. That’s my opionion, anyway.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:34 pm
shana rishona wrote:
My toddler is exactly like this.His nutritionist told us to give include fats at every meal like coconut cream,avocado,peanutbutter or olive oil.
child only likes low calorie food. Fruits veggies are fine. I got them to eat some beans cooked in brisket fat today. S/he doesn't like cake cookies bread. ..

ectomorph

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
I used to feed my underweight toddler while he was watching a video. I found he just didn’t have the patience to sit and eat so I’d stick food in his mouth while he was playing or doing anything to keep busy.
Bh it worked to bring his weight back up and make him stronger but I had to keep doing this till he was about 5.
I would literally follow him around the house with a plate of food because he wouldn’t sit down. If he wasn’t so underweight I would have called myself an insane mother. But I did what was needed. And it worked.
I can't do that my other kids need me. They won't eat if there's a distraction

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:50 pm
When your other kids are pretty much done eating and your toddler still has a full plate that is when you start to use tricks to get him to eat. Not during meal time. You always hope that he will eat on his own. After the meal take the plate with you to wherever your toddler goes and feed him a bite here and there. It’s time consuming definitely. But if you can get him to eat healthy food this way then you don’t need supplements or tests or ice cream as a substitute for food.
It’s much better for your child.

Blue jay

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:00 pm
Op, what is your toddlers favorite food? as long as it’s healthy and filling, serve it again and again.
Whenever my son looks like he needs to put on some extra weight, I make a lot of pancakes with natural maple syrup. It’s a fun and healthy food that he will eat happily!
Unfortunately the side consequence of this is that I also enjoy the pancakes s little too much 🙂

tachles

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:02 pm
Is she getting vitamins? That can affect her appetite.
My child’s pediatrician said to add olive oil to anything I can , but honestly the child didn’t gain significantly from anything I did or didn’t do , I try to encourage healthy eating habits but don’t worry to much otherwise. Some kids just have a narrow build, or very fast metabolisms. Or both.

When you say your child is “ underweight” is that according to percentile charts? Because those don’t mean much. Or is the doctor concerned ?

How about Yogurt, milk and banana and other fruit in a smoothie with interesting straws

Cutting sandwiches in shapes with cookie cutter

Having her help prepare her own mini pizza to encourage her to eat it , basically anything they help make they are more likely to eat

Pasta with meat sauce in interesting shapes

Talking about different food groups and why we need a bit from all of them then get Plates that have dividers and encourage eating from each food group on her plate at each meal

Blue jay

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:09 pm
Also,

Have your toddler wash down his meals with milk. One cup is 80 calories..
Soft mozzarella cheese cubes pack a lot of calories too in a little bite.
Hard boiled eggs
Nut butters are great but of course be sure about allergies, I used to give my son peanut butter pops ( spoon with peanut butter) to pack in some more protein and calories throughout the day

perquacky

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:32 pm
We gave our son Pediasure. He liked it. It was like giving him a daily milkshake.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 3:17 am
My child has been at the bottom of growth chart all her life. She even stopped growing at 6 months, for several months. She's been quite sickly too.
I recently started probiotics with her, and within two weeks she became a different child. She became happier, now has more energy, and gained weight. Her appetite improved drastically. She still is small, but definitely much better than before. Her face rounded out, her skin became less translucent, and even her hair grew quite a bit, very fast. It's worth a shot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics