Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
TechYidCo Shabbos Safe Hot Plate

salamanca

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 7:24 pm
I'm considering getting the TechYidCo Shabbos Safe Hot Plate. Does anyone have experience with it? Specifically I want to know if it can effectively heat up (on Yom Tov) cooked food from the refrigerator (such as soup or meat in gravy) and how long that would take or if it can only be used to keep hot food hot.

Thanks and a gmar chasima tova to everyone!

krembo

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 7:33 pm
We have one but I haven't tried warming up liquid foods on it. I do use it to warm up frozen challah and it takes a bit longer than my old Israeli plata but it gets the job done. We're very happy with it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 7:40 pm
We were not at all happy with it. A bunch of my siblings also bought it when he did the big campaign a few years ago and most don't use it anymore.

perquacky

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 7:50 pm
We got one before Yom Tov, and it worked great with solids. We didn't try to reheat anything liquidy. For that, we use our crock pot.
The only issue I had with the blech was that a leg came off when I pulled it out of the box. And it can't be reattached. But I tried it out anyway so I can return the one I got and order a new one.

salamanca

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 8:06 pm
Cobalt: I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you. Could you be more specific why you and your siblings don't like it?

salamanca

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 8:09 pm
Perquacky: (Love your name!) so you put your crockpot on a timer and put in cold soup from the frig? How long does that take to heat?

watergirl

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 8:36 pm
We have it. Its not as hot as the other (less safe) electric hot plates and has zones; certain places get hotter than others. Its fine for hearing up food or keeping food hot (like a soup that was hot before shabbos and placed on it before shabbos - then it stays hot). tBut if you take a cold soup out of the refrigerator on YT morning, the soup heats up too slowly and spoils.

salamanca

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 8:54 pm
Thanks watergirl. I guess this is not the hot plate for me.

salamanca

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:46 pm
bumping up - decided I may wish to get this after all but need other's experiences to make a decision. Has anyone attempted to put cold chicken soup or pot roast/brisket in gravy on this hot plate and have it get hot?

jflower

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:30 pm
I used this hot plate on RH to heat up cold potato soup & sliced roast in wine sauce. I did cover the soup pot and roasting pan with a towel making sure that it just covered the top of the pans and did not touch the hot plate.

The food was very hot 5 hours later. I'm not sure how well it would work if you have less time to heat up the food.

salamanca

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:33 pm
Thank you so much for responding, jflower. So do I understand correctly that you didn't check on the food to see if it was hot in less than 5 hours?

cooksallday

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:58 pm
I have this hot plate and have been very happy with it. I love the big size, and it reheats food well from cold, even soup. I mean, for second night yt it did not warm it up quick enough given the time but with a few hours from putting food on in the morning, food gets nice and warm.

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 5:00 pm
salamanca wrote:
bumping up - decided I may wish to get this after all but need other's experiences to make a decision. Has anyone attempted to put cold chicken soup or pot roast/brisket in gravy on this hot plate and have it get hot?

It got hot when I put the soup on. But it took so long that it spoiled on the way.

jflower

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 5:03 pm
right. I was in shul on RH and came home after 5 hours. The soup was piping hot and the roast was a bit overdone so I would guess that 4 hours would be enough time to heat food coming from the refrigerator.

jflower

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 5:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
It got hot when I put the soup on. But it took so long that it spoiled on the way.

What type of soup spoiled? Chicken soup? My soup was potato/vegetable and turned out fine.

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 5:52 pm
jflower wrote:
What type of soup spoiled? Chicken soup? My soup was potato/vegetable and turned out fine.

Chicken.

perquacky

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:17 pm
salamanca wrote:
Perquacky: (Love your name!) so you put your crockpot on a timer and put in cold soup from the frig? How long doejs that take to heat?

(Thanks!)
Actually, we kept the crock pot on for two days. No problems. DH does the cooking. TBH, I don't know how long it took to warm up the soup. I think we kept the pot on the lowest, keep warm, setting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics