Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Help me create a beautiful sukka

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 11:41 am
I have a standard leiters looking succah this year (don't know the material, its not wood but has a fake wood look)

I used to have wood, and we decorated it with material to make it look like something...

it seems funny to cover these walls with material (not sure why I feel like that), and I don't have the right size material anyway

How do you decorate your sukkah, aside from kids crafts... I want to make it really really interesting and beautiful, we have not-yet- religious company coming and I know they will appreciate an extra beauitufl sukka (aside from the fact that me and dh appreicate the artistic/creative type of sukka as well

And and all ideas welcome (even beautiful crafts or centerpices my kids can help with)

(and I know it's all in the love of the family atomopsher that will create the beautiful sukka etc.. but I'm not referring to that right now!)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 11:47 am
Hang garlands down the length of the sukkah walls. Connect to schach and have them go down 6 feet.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 12:37 pm
My kids make a succah decoration every year( the teens that are home more...). They get it at the local judaica store. They have a big variety of nice crafts. You can get posters- they sell nice ones these days... you can hang a welcome sign on the door of the succah. You can hang these flower balls on the scach( they sell them these days) and fake fruits like apples and grapes.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 12:43 pm
A lovely tablecloth and either "real" dishes or very nice disposables really help the overall look.

Personally, I like floral decor from craft stores better than items available from Judaica shops. Garlands affixed around the edges of the ceiling and up and down the corners of the walls give a nicely finished look.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 12:53 pm
What about hanging curtains of some glamorous or glitzy fabric (doesn't have to be expensive) on the frame so they cover part of the walls or the corners? They can also be bunched up or tied in fancy ways.

Alternatively, one can put decorative posters on the walls - in my community posters with painted scenes from the Beit HaMikdash are popular.

I like to put single palm branches cut to size to reach to the roof into each corner. I think that looks kind of festive and floristic at the same time.

A few years ago I got little straw baskets in pastel colors that I hung up in the sukkah.

Fruits, fresh, dried or fake ones, arranged in chains.

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 1:23 pm
I don't know if you still have time for this, but over the summer my boys each worked on very large canvases to cover our succah walls. I tried to direct them to succos/eretz yisroel themes, but I can't say they really stuck to it. My three-year-old painted whales, huge families of whales, my two bigger boys (7 and 10) went with geometric, abstract paintings, only my five year old painted a succah, with most of the emphasis on the sky above it, full of various airplanes. When the paint dried they added glitter glue, wood pieces, sequins, beads, buttons, fabric. I wish I could post pictures (I don't know how to.) They really came out beautiful. I got the enormous canvases from the garbage dump reuse center for a dollar a piece. They were painted on of course, but very easy to paint over.

Miri1

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 2:12 pm
DVOM wrote:
I don't know if you still have time for this, but over the summer my boys each worked on very large canvases to cover our succah walls. I tried to direct them to succos/eretz yisroel themes, but I can't say they really stuck to it. My three-year-old painted whales, huge families of whales, my two bigger boys (7 and 10) went with geometric, abstract paintings, only my five year old painted a succah, with most of the emphasis on the sky above it, full of various airplanes. When the paint dried they added glitter glue, wood pieces, sequins, beads, buttons, fabric. I wish I could post pictures (I don't know how to.) They really came out beautiful. I got the enormous canvases from the garbage dump reuse center for a dollar a piece. They were painted on of course, but very easy to paint over.

This is such a great idea!
If you want to call the whales "big fish", this could be a nod to the story of Yonah.

And I love the open skies idea...
Now I wonder if I should do this, or just stick to cooking and building for now Wink

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:36 pm
loving these ideas!

I'm not into the traditional plastic fruits and typical judaica store art for kids. I did buy a few of them, but it's the overall feel of the succa that needs a good decorating "theme" (if thats the right word).

where can I buy an inexpensive tablecloth from last minute?

keep the ideas coming!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:43 pm
So we do with branches broken off a tree. Hang from them various sized birds or magan dovid or whatever u fancy made out of foam. Then hang the branch in a corner of your succah
Looks really nice.
Also we use the battery operated fairy lights.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:48 pm
I sometimes use photos from my kids and family events throughout the years to create borders around my sukkah with photos of them today in larger sizes framed with nice papers between the borders....
The kids love looking at them and finding themselves and strangers like the memories.

I also take my kids a
Aleph beis project from last year ( hanging on my dinette wall) and stick it in the sukkah as a nice way of getting rid of them without causing anxiety...

sky

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:00 pm
Fill many glass ornaments and hang from schach. Can fill with flowers or glitter. The dollar store many years has fillable ornaments and flowers.
Closeout connections has many tablecloths.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:54 am
DVOM wrote:

This is amazing!
The whales really fit succos. On the last day we say:
שבזכות מצות סוכה זאת שקיימנו, נזכה ונחיה לישב בסוכת עורו של לויתן

My daughter made a craft with a whlae in scholl a few years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics