Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Putting up Succos at night
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:16 am
Please remind your husbands not to put up their succos at night and be considerate of neighbors who are sleeping.
I'm up now thanks to banging coming from the outside succah building.

bobeli

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:20 am
Some people don't have any other time

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:23 am
Our whole neighborhood puts up sukkot at night. It's okay. It's once a year.

We all work during the day.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:25 am
Same. I got so scared at first, couldn't figure out where the banging was coming from.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:26 am
bobeli wrote:
Some people don't have any other time

Geizel shinah is against halacha. I truly feel bad and thats why I didnt say anything last year to you but I dont think this is enough of an excuse. You can go to sleep now and wake up early tom and do it then.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:28 am
Why? You'd prefer being woken at 5:00 am with the banging?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:47 am
Thank you op. My neighbors kept my little kids up until 10:30 for TWO night in a row.

Big mitzvah they have. Sad
There’s no excuse.
It can be done at a fair hour if you really want.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:49 am
DrMom wrote:
Our whole neighborhood puts up sukkot at night. It's okay. It's once a year.

We all work during the day.

You can put it up one day at 7 pm.
Or on Sunday.
Or on a motzei shabbos immediarely after the zman if you must because many kids are up late.
Or Friday and hour before he Zman.

If non of these work, call your neighbors and ask which time works for both of you.

Don’t do an aveirah in order to do a mitzvah.

devash1

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 2:24 am
Yes I don't understand this either it's supposed to be the first mizva after Yom Kippur and if you're waking up Neighbors I don't see how this makes it a more holy time. We put up the walls during the day and leave the schach but that doesn't make any noise plus we don't do it late.

tf

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 3:42 am
amother wrote:
Geizel shinah is against halacha. I truly feel bad and thats why I didnt say anything last year to you but I dont think this is enough of an excuse. You can go to sleep now and wake up early tom and do it then.

We can't change other people. You can try to ask them and hopefully tthey'll listen. But chances are that they'll find an excuse. How about using a noise machine or ear plugs for tthese few nights. I also believe that their wives cannot control them in this.
I feel sorry for you, but what will mmy feelings help you?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 4:09 am
amother wrote:
You can put it up one day at 7 pm.
Or on Sunday.
Or on a motzei shabbos immediarely after the zman if you must because many kids are up late.
Or Friday and hour before he Zman.

If non of these work, call your neighbors and ask which time works for both of you.

Don’t do an aveirah in order to do a mitzvah.

Are your neighbors aware of how you feel? Because many may assume (as evidenced by other posts in this thread) that people don't mind the 1 or 2 nights of Sukkah-banging a year.

If you let them know that it disturbs your sleep and your family's sleep, and ask them respectfully to find another time to put up their sukkah, and they STILL do it at night, you have a right to be upset. Otherwise, I think it is unfair to call it an aveira, as they cannot be expected to read your mind and know that it bothers you. It seems that a majority would NOT be bothered.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
Are your neighbors aware of how you feel? Because many may assume (as evidenced by other posts in this thread) that people don't mind the 1 or 2 nights of Sukkah-banging a year.

If you let them know that it disturbs your sleep and your family's sleep, and ask them respectfully to find another time to put up their sukkah, and they STILL do it at night, you have a right to be upset. Otherwise, I think it is unfair to call it an aveira, as they cannot be expected to read your mind and know that it bothers you. It seems that a majority would NOT be bothered.

The neighbors that are considerate all year round would never do that.
Only the few neighbors that are always inconsiderate, and are selfish with their needs only, that don’t care to do this.
And talking to them won’t help... BTDT in many other situations.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:04 am
I believe the women here who don’t see the issue, either don’t have little kids whom they need to wake at 7 the next day, or their bedrooms aren’t directly facing the neighbors courtyards...

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 7:05 am
And I have a problem with people who are building their sukkos (not to mention doing construction) during the morning hours since I work night shift Twisted Evil

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 7:06 am
I've never seen anyone out at night with the sukka at mudnight

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
And I have a problem with people who are building their sukkos (not to mention doing construction) during the morning hours since I work night shift Twisted Evil

It isn’t about YOU. It’s about what’s normal and accepted.

Construction at 10pm at night is wrong. People, and most kids are asleep.
At 7:30am? Yeah that’s ok most of the world is up.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
It isn’t about YOU. It’s about what’s normal and accepted.

Construction at 10pm at night is wrong. People, and most kids are asleep.
At 7:30am? Yeah that’s ok most of the world is up.

Apparently, it seems to be normal and accepted to build a sukkah at night as well, being that most seem to have no problem with it.

However, according to halacha, if it is bothering someone, you should stop. But a person is not expected to automatically know what will bother someone.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:05 pm
My bedroom window was right above where my neighbor built his sukkah. He started building it after 10:30 and was still going strong at 2 am while talking loudly above the sound of his drill to his friend that was helping him. My DH went out in his pjs and let him know he was stealing our sleep. The guy didn't care. We had to wake up on time for work. This guy had just started his bein hazmanim and was not pressured to be up early. People need to be considerate of others. Gezel sheinah can never be paid back. These people just klapped al chet but are eager to steal someone's sleep all in the name of a Mitzvah. There is a middle way to everything. After being on the receiving end of inconsiderate people like this, we have always gone out of our way to make sure we do not make a sound outdoors after 10 pm.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:26 pm
There has to be a middle road though. After 9:30 or 10 pm, very wrong. But when my neighbor yelled at us at 6:30 pm, that's unfair also.
Look, I understand you want to put your kids to sleep already. But there does have to be a two-way street. Not everyone has the luxury of being hazmanim and putting up the sukka at 2 pm.
So my husband will come straight home from work, build from 6-8, then stop, please try to be understanding of our reality also.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
There has to be a middle road though. After 9:30 or 10 pm, very wrong. But when my neighbor yelled at us at 6:30 pm, that's unfair also.
Look, I understand you want to put your kids to sleep already. But there does have to be a two-way street. Not everyone has the luxury of being hazmanim and putting up the sukka at 2 pm.
So my husband will come straight home from work, build from 6-8, then stop, please try to be understanding of our reality also.
6-8 is not late. But there are people that have no issue banging away after 10/10:30.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette