Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Saying Yizkor at Home

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:40 am
We had a change of plans for Yom Kippur and now we'll be close to a mile walk each way to shul. Ever since I've been saying Yizkor, we've been a 3 minute walk from shul, and the fact that I don't fast well hasn't been so much of an issue with going to shul to say Yizkor. I basically need to lie down in order to make it through. So I'd just make the short walk and come home.
I'm really worried about the lengthy walk!! I don't want to miss Yizkor but I have no idea how I'm going to walk almost 2 miles while fasting.
Does anyone say Yizkor at home??

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:43 am
I always wondered - what is the point in saying yizkor in shul?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:44 am
You could AYLOR but a quick google seems to indicate that it is fine to say at home

https://www.ou.org/torah/tefil.....vice/

https://www.chabad.org/library.....d.htm

Tzom kal

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:47 am
100% ok to say at home. I have verified with many people.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:54 am
I do. Getting all of my kids to shul just for yizkor is usually a pointless endeavor. And on YK I for sure stay home, because I’m dizzy.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 10:26 am
I try to say yizkor in shul. It makes me feel better, like I "did" something for my late parent (who loved shul, and loved davening.) I've said it at home twice in the past nine years.
Once when my baby was less than two weeks old and I was fasting on YK, and it meant walking up and down many apt building steps.
And last year on YK,because it was supposed to be hot. My husband said that fasting on YK is major, and I shouldn't even put myself into a situation where I might have to end up breaking fast later because I went to shul in the heat and got dehydrated.
I was annoyed, but he was definitely right!!

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:59 am
It's totally fine to say it at home.
It's nice to say it in shul but I won't even attempt trying to make it on YK, between the heat, a toddler and not fasting well.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 2:03 pm
It is totally fine to say at home just make sure you remember to.

In thw early years I found it comforting to be with other people who had lost a parent. Now its been 12 years (recent yartzeit) and I still find it nice but I do not panic or stress out about it as I had used to. Either I make it to shul or I don't. The important thing is to say yizkur and give tzedakka in the zchus of the departed

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 2:16 pm
Yes, I said it at home many times when my kids were younger.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 7:52 pm
Perfectly fine to say at home, just make sure if there is anyone else in the house to go in a room and close the door.
I've been doing this for years.
Easy fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur