Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O What do you wear on Erev Yom Kippur?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:09 am
Growing up, we had 2 seudot. My mom taught in a Jewish school so she was off erev YK. Divorced so my father wasn’t around anyway.
Then when I started college I wasn’t home all day so I stopped the 2 Seuda minhag and have not done it ever since. I’ve always been at work and DH as well, since we got married.
Never heard of wearing Shabbat clothes on erev YK.
I have everyone shower before Seuda hamafseket but we wear whatever to eat and then change before candle lighting.
I don’t go to the Mikvah on erev YK. Never saw my mother do this and I dont find it a spiritual experience so I have no interest in taking on the minhag.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:19 am
I'd never go to the mikva. It's man to me.
I grew up with 2. My husband is 1.
I wear whatever, people go comfy that day... but some do white

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:24 am
pause wrote:
Many people I know wear white begadim on YK, similar to wearing a veisse tichel. As a symbol f purity and innocence and being clean from cheit. Most people suffice with a white top/shirt/sweater. Some of the older ladies I've seen also wear a white skirt.

Even my non orthodox relatives wear all white on Yom Kippur including a white yarmulke . You don't see this as much in Chasidish circles (since they wear a white tichel and apron) but I've seen it at yeshivish shuls, MO shuls etc where the women wear all white from head to toe, white skirt, blouse, sweater (some wear white snoods as well instead of a sheitel. I saw this in Flatbush in a shul I davened in when I was growing up.)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:42 am
The world is a large large thing lol.

I see most women not in white. I don't see white tichels, or aprons (!) among the chassidim I know.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 3:45 pm
I wear shmattas in morning for cooking and I run to Mikvah. My husband wants us all dressed shabbosdig for the meals but it doesn’t usually happen. He is dressed fancy but I’m usually not able to yet as too busy.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:43 pm
im chassidish and I think my mother always went to the mikvah but since I was never taught to go and noone thought its important enough to pass down that minhag to me I simply never knew about it and my dh wasnt told either. We now know about it and im not going to suddenly change that.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:57 am
We only have one meal and I wore shabbos clothing because we had it after I took a shower. I don't go to the mikvah. My dh and over bar mitzvah children go.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics