Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Should My Child be the Youngest or Oldest?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:38 pm
My child is born in the summer and is my oldest so I am wondering from experienced mothers what is recommended as far as when to start nursery/preschool/school. Is it better to have the child one of the younger ones or one of the older ones?
Thank you

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:42 pm
Depends on the child. My LO is slightly behind in comprehension and speech. He’s also on the smaller side and I was worried he’ll get trampled over.

So I put him in a group of which he’s one of the oldest and BH so far so good.
Teacher said he’s interacting nicely and appropriately with other kids.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:44 pm
My 3 year old has always done better with older kids. She ran faster, spoke more, played more creatively. She rose to meet them.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
My child is born in the summer and is my oldest so I am wondering from experienced mothers what is recommended as far as when to start nursery/preschool/school. Is it better to have the child one of the younger ones or one of the older ones?
Thank you

Your child won't be the youngest. My daughter was born in July and is in the correct class for her age (started school at 3 years and 5 weeks) and there were other children who turned 3 in November, after her.

Go according to your gut. If she seems to be ready, keep her where she should be.

Miri7

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:59 pm
I say stick with the class that your child would normally be in. Only if there are special circumstances should a child be moved ahead or back - it really depends on the child.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 7:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Your child won't be the youngest. My daughter was born in July and is in the correct class for her age (started school at 3 years and 5 weeks) and there were other children who turned 3 in November, after her.

Go according to your gut. If she seems to be ready, keep her where she should be.

School enrollment deadlines vary by locale. My daughter is also a July baby and is the youngest. In my country, you must be 6 in order to start Grade 1.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 7:05 pm
I think for a summer baby you should keep them in their grade. All of my kids are within one month of the deadline. That’s when it gets complicated.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 8:03 pm
You should ask her teacher or Morah. They see your child in the context of other children her age, and they can see if she would need to be pushed ahead or kept back.

nchr

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 8:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Exactly. Summer is an appropriate time to be born school wise lol. It’s October-January that are trickier.

erm

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:00 pm
My son's birthday is at the end of November so I sent him to nursery twice. My other kids were born in the summer and they stayed in the grades they were supposed to be in.

smss

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 10:55 pm
Girl or boy?

If it's a boy, for sure, for sure better to be the oldest.

If it's a girl, it could go either way.

littleprincess

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 10:59 pm
I have 2 boys who were born summer time . One I kept down (he's one of the oldest) and one I put up . He's the youngest.
It depends on the child .

bzmom.

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:18 am
One of my boys went up to be the youngest, the cheder told us they can see he needs to be in the next class but my other son also born in summer and they told me to keep him down to be the oldest as he was very quiet and needed more time to adjust. It's all about knowing your child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers