Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How much did Psicha for Neila go in your Shul, and which
Previous  1  2  3  Next

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
Anyone knows how its done in Lakewood Shuls, and if there was bidding, what the Kibbudim went for?

Other than BMG I've never been in any Lakewood shul on RH or YK that didn't auction off Aliyos.

How much it goes for depends on the shul but from what I remember everything ranged between $36 to $200.

shpitsel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:25 am
Chasidish shul here

It went for $3000 neila

$2000 maftir yona

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:25 am
Maftir yonah by us went for $7,000.
I think It's a chassidish thing.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:53 am
No bidding at our small oot shul run by a chassidish Rabbi

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:07 am
Haaaaaate the bidding. The rich don't deserve more. Even though it's not QUITE 7000! I don't enjoy seeing men (or women for their dh ) competing

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:17 am
I have only been to one shul where there was open bidding. Ugh. Every place else - of course major donors receive honors, as do people who contribute in other ways. It is decided by a committee in advance, much more discreet and refined than an auction in shul on Shabbat or yom tov.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
I have only been to one shul where there was open bidding. Ugh. Every place else - of course major donors receive honors, as do people who contribute in other ways. It is decided by a committee in advance, much more discreet and refined than an auction in shul on Shabbat or yom tov.

I disagree. With bidding, everyone is given a chance to be honored with whatever they buy, not only those who have stature in the shul. It’s much more inclusive, especially if the bidding starts low as it did in our shul.

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:00 pm
I have no issues with bidding for Aliyos but apparently there is enough dislike for the practice that when the Young Israel movement started one of its official policies was to not allow bidding for Aliyos.

I'm guessing that policy is no longer strictly adhered to in all Young Israel Shuls today. Back then it was looked at as a "European" practice not in sync with the sensitivities of the younger American born crowd. Today whatever people feel about auctioning off Aliyos no one really opposes it for being "too European" .

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone knows how its done in Lakewood Shuls, and if there was bidding, what the Kibbudim went for?

There was in our shul. I don't remember all the particulars as I kind of spaced out, but I think the average kibbud was about $200. But Maftir Yona went for $1K.

ETA: it doesn't bother me at all. I'm happy to see the shul raise some funds. I've seen the president of the shul come with his sons to shovel snow, clean up messes, etc...and I know they work hard to pay the bills for the shul. I'm happy for people to have the opportunity to give. I don't feel pressured to give more than we can afford.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:05 pm
I asked dh.
100 euros for ptichat and chatan torah
500 euros for chatan berechit

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:40 pm
Lakewood shul here - I believe Psicha Neila went for approx $2000

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:20 pm
Wouldn’t the sums vary with the size and wealth of the congregation? I would hardly expect a shul populated by 50 melamdim to enjoy the kinds of bids raised by a shul with 500 members, most of whom are doctors, lawyers and real-estate tycoons.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:31 pm
Also, in Lakewood according to my understanding, different shuls have different arrangements with the developers and builders regarding paying the morgage and paying outright for the building.
So that would change things.
According to my boys, Pesicha for neila went for $2000, maftir yonah, $1500, pesicha for kol nidrei $650. Usually Chassan Torah is $2000, chassan Bereishis $2500, kol hanearim $1800.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:53 pm
$700 Small shul BP

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
what difference does that make??

Not to stereotype, but often MO in certain communities the members are mostly wealthy and there is no need to sell kibudim. An example of this in my area is the young Israel of woodmere in the 5towns.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:32 pm
$10,000 small Shteible like Shul in NY.

Very happy to have the money contribute towards the Shul renovations fund.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
Not to stereotype, but often MO in certain communities the members are mostly wealthy and there is no need to sell kibudim. An example of this in my area is the young Israel of woodmere in the 5towns.

What does one have to do with another?

So if the shul is doing okay financially - they can use the opportunity to collect for another cause.

As another poster mentioned - this is one of those traditions that some shuls affirmatively said - this isn't our style - and its just not done.

(IMHO if you grew up with this - its normal. If you didn't - you may find it really off putting).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Haaaaaate the bidding. The rich don't deserve more. Even though it's not QUITE 7000! I don't enjoy seeing men (or women for their dh ) competing

Why don't the rich deserve more? Who's paying for all the tuition breaks so many of us (including myself) get? Who's paying for all community expenses that are not picked up by the klal? We need the rich.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:47 pm
keym wrote:

According to my boys, Pesicha for neila went for $2000, maftir yonah, $1500, pesicha for kol nidrei $650. Usually Chassan Torah is $2000, chassan Bereishis $2500, kol hanearim $1800.

In a lot of Lakewood shuls (and in all Yeshivos) Chassan Torah and Chassan Bereishis is auctioned off for how many blatt gemarah you commit to learning that year.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:49 pm
Brooklyn here. Pesicha for Neila went for $3500.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics