Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
AYLOR? After 30 years?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:30 pm
This is embarrassing.

We lived in one city our entire adult lives, and ask our former ravs years (and years and years) ago shailas about this and that. For example, I cannot fast on YK and have had a routine down for decades.

We moved last spring, and it never occurred to me that the "AYLOR" applied to me about things I felt are set in stone. Till I read a post here stating otherwise.

What do I do about all the shailas we've been following since the 80s? Re-ask everything again? Follow our old rav?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:32 pm
There is NO halacha that says you must ask your LOCAL rav. Find for yourself a rav does not mean it HAS TO be local. It can be a rav that is 10,000 miles away, but it should be YOUR rav. I dont think you have to ask your shailas all over again. Not at all. Only if you want to.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There is NO halacha that says you must ask your LOCAL rav. Find for yourself a rav does not mean it HAS TO be local. It can be a rav that is 10,000 miles away, but it should be YOUR rav. I dont think you have to ask your shailas all over again. Not at all. Only if you want to.

I didn't think there was a halacha for this, but I read something about exactly this last week, here on imamother. For the record, I think it would be insane to do this.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:41 pm
I was told COR or CRA. Competent Orthodox Rabbi. Or Competent Rabbinic Authority.
Local isn’t always reliable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't think there was a halacha for this, but I read something about exactly this last week, here on imamother. For the record, I think it would be insane to do this.
OP, are you saying that someone wrote that is is halacha to only ask your LOCAL rav questions? I really think not. I am sure someone may have written that, but I am also 100% sure that it is not factual. You can ask whatever rav you want, it does not have to be you local rav. You could live in london and always ask a rav you connected with in hong kong. It really does not matter where the rav is.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP, are you saying that someone wrote that is is halacha to only ask your LOCAL rav questions? I really think not. I am sure someone may have written that, but I am also 100% sure that it is not factual. You can ask whatever rav you want, it does not have to be you local rav. You could live in london and always ask a rav you connected with in hong kong. It really does not matter where the rav is.

There was a post from a woman who lived in Lakewood, or who've moved from there, and shuirim on YK. Nearly positive. And she was told to AYLOR in her new city. And I just pretended I hadn't read it till after the yom tov

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
There was a post from a woman who lived in Lakewood, or who've moved from there, and shuirim on YK. Nearly positive. And she was told to AYLOR in her new city. And I just pretended I hadn't read it till after the yom tov
Could you possibly link that thread?

I still think it is NOT halacha, most probably a chumra for some communities.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:57 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Could you possibly link that thread?

I still think it is NOT halacha, most probably a chumra for some communities.

I'll try to find it later, not sure where it is and I'm at work right now.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:58 pm
If it’s about something local like a hashgacha or the Eruv or where to go for tashlich, of course ask a local authority. Why would you need to ask a local if you stirred your chicken soup with a milchik spoon?

InnerMe

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
This is embarrassing.

We lived in one city our entire adult lives, and ask our former ravs years (and years and years) ago shailas about this and that. For example, I cannot fast on YK and have had a routine down for decades.

We moved last spring, and it never occurred to me that the "AYLOR" applied to me about things I felt are set in stone. Till I read a post here stating otherwise.

What do I do about all the shailas we've been following since the 80s? Re-ask everything again? Follow our old rav?

I don't understand.
Are you saying this tongue in cheek?
If not- why would you worry about a single post on Ima? There's lots of stuff that people write here. If I'd take everything that every Ima says.. umm.. just not sure where I'll end up.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:08 pm
OP you have a BEAUTIFUL yetzer Hara to be upset by this.

IIRC, the post that you are referring to was about fasting on Yom Kippur. Now for most people, this is a question that must be re-asked every year, because the medical situation in different each year. I think for convenience when the person moved she also changed Rabbis , this is why she was asking a different rabbi.

Otherwise for example anyone who didn't live in NY who followed the Lubavitcher Rebbe would also be doing an aviera.

Don't worry about it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:31 pm
If the circumstances are still the same, then the psak still stands.
Years ago I got a nida heter after birth for something and the rav said "until things get better". 2 years later things were still the same and I called back the rav saying I don't know if I'm still allowed to follow what you said since so much time has passed but I'm still having irritation... He said then it still stands - open ended as long as things are the same.
Well it's more than a decade later and the psak still stands, no need for me to call back and check.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:33 pm
Unless you have reason to question your old rav (like if you took on new strictures in the meantime),
; or it affects your participation in the community (like if you want people in a stricter new community to trust your kashrus); or the matter was specific (about one particular circumstance, not to be mistakenly generalized), of course you can trust the psak you got.

Lots of people ask shailos to someone far away.

In fact, a local rav who is not sure how to pasken a difficult question will usually contact their own rav, who could be far away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics