Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva applications
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 1:20 am
So we’re applying for the first time to yeshiva. If you have a tv do you really need to lie on the application? We feel it’s wrong to lie but at the same time we want our kids to get into good yeshivas. The kids don’t watch tv, they only watch 2 educational videos. we sometimes watch tv after they go to sleep to unwind after a long day, Why should the kids suffer because of that? Do I lie or tell the truth?
(I’m taking yeshivas like YTV, chofetz Chaim, BYA, lev BY)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:27 am
amother wrote:
So we’re applying for the first time to yeshiva. If you have a tv do you really need to lie on the application? We feel it’s wrong to lie but at the same time we want our kids to get into good yeshivas. The kids don’t watch tv, they only watch 2 educational videos. we sometimes watch tv after they go to sleep to unwind after a long day, Why should the kids suffer because of that? Do I lie or tell the truth?
(I’m taking yeshivas like YTV, chofetz Chaim, BYA, lev BY)

Lev and chofetz chaim do not makes you sign that you don’t have a tv. Bya does. Don’t onow about ytv

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 7:05 am
Lie if it's asked. It's worth it if the yeshiva is a good fit - and the kids don't nec. have to know (and YES sometimes it's alll great except a few rules, and NO, you won't go to somewhere else that is a less great fit just to have the tv openly).

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 7:20 am
Don't lie - if you think your lifestyle choices are harming your kids, change them.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 7:29 am
You may believe the tv as you use it is ok, and disagree with school on this, but not on 90% else. Yes the ideal would be a 100% fit. But that's very, very, rare. Sometimes also the school knows... and just put "tv" as a geder, knowing say, people will have it, but will only show clean stuff. While if they allow it, then it will go a step further lol. (source; mechanchim).

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:43 am
Ask your rav but I can't imagine you are allowed to lie straight out , maybe it depends what exactly the statement says I.e. can you honestly commit to your kids not watching movies and keep the tv just for yourself? Is it worth one or two shows to keep them in a different school ?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:40 am
Has anyone had the experience where they were honest and said they had a tv and still got in?

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:14 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Don't lie - if you think your lifestyle choices are harming your kids, change them.

But that's just it. The op says she uses her TV for some educational stuff. The question on the yeshiva application is a blanket yes or no, do you have a TV? If the op answers yes, her response will easily be taken out of context since her kids don't really watch typical TV material.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:17 am
Why don't you ask your Rav if you are allowed to lie on the application? I can't imagine you are.

I strongly feel that parents should send to schools that line up with their hashkafa, and if you have a conflict between your house and your school you should either change your house or find a different school. You are sending your kids mixed messages.

dorothy1

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:18 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
But that's just it. The op says she uses her TV for some educational stuff. The question on the yeshiva application is a blanket yes or no, do you have a TV? If the op answers yes, her response will easily be taken out of context since her kids don't really watch typical TV material.

The schools probably care whether the parents are watching television as well. If they don't, then the parents can easily explain to the school, "We have a TV, but this is how we use it." If the school is fine with that, they'll accept them anyway. If the school isn't fine with that, then this family doens't belong in this school.

I doubt most applicants who have TV are watching the worst garbage of television. But that's not what the application asks- "Do you watch x show or y show? How many hours do you let your kids watch a day?" They don't want TVs. Regardless of how many hours a day its being watched, regardless of if the material is educational or not.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:25 am
what if you watch shows only on the computer and don't have a TV? That's a silly question.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:11 pm
For many people there'll be no school that 100% aligns with their hashkafos down to the nitty gritty ones. TV is something pretty outdated now because schools were afraid kids and parents were watching movies and shows. Guess what? Without TV in the house, plenty do watch them on the computers, phones, and tablets.
In my very unpopular opinion, if the school otherwise is a good fit, don't mention you have it.
Let the tomatoes come.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:17 pm
I’m fine with not mentioning it. I agree with you 100%. The internet is worse (btw, they also ask if you have a filter).
The problem is they make you sign the question on if you have a tv and it’s hard to lie outright.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:20 pm
The difference between an actual TV and Tablet/phone/computer is that all of my devices are passworded and my kids cant just decide to turn them on one day and watch what they want. With a physical TV they can. So you can end up with your kid being exposed to a lot more then just an educational show or two. Then they go to school and tell their friends and it becomes an issue.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The difference between an actual TV and Tablet/phone/computer is that all of my devices are passworded and my kids cant just decide to turn them on one day and watch what they want. With a physical TV they can. So you can end up with your kid being exposed to a lot more then just an educational show or two. Then they go to school and tell their friends and it becomes an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that there's a parent control on t.v. nowadays. In addition, if it's in parents' room, that's that. If kids are home without parents, the bedroom could be locked.
Just trust me, your older kids are much more likely to access bad stuff on internet than on tv (worst shows don't come close to p.o. rn)

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:47 pm
And of course, we aren't even mentioning all other parents who lie. Schools should stop with this nonsense, be realistic and just demand control vs not having it. At least the internet question in some schools is now about having filters, not having internet

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
And of course, we aren't even mentioning all other parents who lie. Schools should stop with this nonsense, be realistic and just demand control vs not having it. At least the internet question in some schools is now about having filters, not having internet

They should demand that control be in place for the kids, but they shouldn't be making any demands on the parents. We've all gone through 18 years of chinuch and we have our Ravs and Rebbes to guide us from there. The schools shouldn't be dictating how adults go about their lives.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 8:35 pm
I will make a suggestion, just get rid of your TV today's days phones have televisions on them, you don't need a television in your house.
I also watch movies to unravel after a long day I only watch clean ones obviously,
but I don't need a television in my house, because then that makes a statement about my Home.
In all honesty the parents of the other students somehow find out that you have a television, your kids will not have classmates coming over and you know that.
If I was the type of parent that didn't approve of a television. I would not want your child in my child's class. I don't like to be racist but the fact is homes that have televisions are set up a little differently than the homes that don't have technology , smartphones tvs etc. at all. I always knew that in the ad of town places there were students that had television and it was students a didn't have television and the students that didn't have a television we're not allowed to the children who had TV at home to their houses.

chestnut

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 9:36 pm
Peach amother, please reread your post. Do you see anything wrong with your thinking?
You wouldn't want the kid with the TV in the house in your kid's class while you yourself watch movies (on the phone)!!!
Oh, the irony

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 3:26 am
Aren't there yeshivot that don't ask this question?

Perhaps those would be a better hashkafic fit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics