Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Baby in our room - need tips!

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:49 pm
My 14 mo will be sharing our room over sukkos. How do I handle it? Usually in a strange room, he wakes up and cries in middle of the night. Do I ignore him? Get him? Feed him or bring him to my bed?

In his own room, he currently sleeps through the night without any help from me, so I don't know what to do when he's in my room.

Tia

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:02 pm
I’m assuming that this means you will be a guest or that there will be guests.

In that case, letting him cry is not an option as it will likely disturb others (leaving aside the fact that he is obviously crying because he is uncomfortable or scared and shouldn’t be punished for that).

I would first try to comfort him in his own bed. If that is unsuccessful, I’d bring him into mine, both to keep him from crying and to allow me some sleep!

I wouldn’t overly worry about him expecting that at home too, at worst it will take him a few days to get used to sleeping at home again, but I’d argue that it would be worse if he learns to associate bed with being alone and scared in a strange place.

trixx

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:07 pm
Don't feed him, you don't want to start a bad habit. But def comfort him otherwise.
Unfair to ignore if he's legitimately scared from unfamiliar surroundings. You can't expect him to self comfort in that situation.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 1:15 am
If you are going away, make sure to bring some things from his crib at home like a blanket or toy or lovey so he can comfort himself with familiar objects.

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:13 am
See if there's a way to screen off his crib from your beds, so that if he wakes, he doesn't immediately see you.

If you can, try to set up tonight and following a circumstance as close to the arrangement he will have there as you can duplicate at home. Will he sleep in a pack n play there? Can you use a noise machine, so that he is less likely to hear you sleeping in the same room? If you plan to set up a sheet or coat rack to block his view of you, can you set up something similar at home tonight?

Follow routines from home as closely as you can, even if that means putting him to bed during kiddush. As Rutabaga said, bring as much of his familiar sleep things as you can.

Tire him out during the day, but not to the point of overtired, so that he will be more likely to sleep.

Do your best not to offer food or your own bed as comforts. While in the short term, you might get more sleep that night, in the medium to long term, it conditions him to wake again at night. See if you can set up a chair near the crib, so that you can hold him if necessary, but not bring him to your bed.

If you are with family see if someone else can watch the kid(s) during the day, so that you can catch up on sleep if you do have a bad night.

Hatzlacha! Enjoy your visit!

essie14

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:27 pm
Do not feed him.
Bring his blanket and anything else he likes to sleep with. If he will disturb others, I wouldn’t let him cry. I don’t think it’s a big deal to let him into your bed if he needs comfort. I think when you get back home he will go right back to his crib.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics