Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Health insurance for Unborn baby

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:38 am
Both me and my husband are under 26 and are covered by our parents insurance. Our parents insurance does not cover our children. I am having a baby and going to need health insurance for the baby. We don’t qualify for Medicaid and Child Health Care plus is something you can apply for only after the baby is born and it is not retroactive. Does anyone know of an insurance that would cover then baby from when he/she is born? (Either applying before birth or after but would work retroactively) Thank You.
Please help this is very stressful.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:42 am
The unborn baby, while she is inside of you doesn't get its own insurance policy. All its needs are provided by you: it's a part of you

Once the baby is born it is covered under your policy for the first 30 days of life, during which time you apply for insurance to cover baby from day 30 and beyond

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:49 am
pesek zman wrote:
The unborn baby, while she is inside of you doesn't get its own insurance policy. All its needs are provided by you: it's a part of you

Once the baby is born it is covered under your policy for the first 30 days of life, during which time you apply for insurance to cover baby from day 30 and beyond

A child born to a dependant on a parents plan is not covered at all. Meaning these plans don't cover granchild

SDmother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:52 am
I am fairly certain you can not get insurance for an unborn baby as they do not have a social security number. Only option is to take out insurance for yourself and baby will be covered under you for first 30 days.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
A child born to a dependant on a parents plan is not covered at all. Meaning these plans don't cover granchild

it's certainly covered when its inside the mother.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:00 am
Yes. They will usually cover for the first 48 hours, 7 days, 30 days etc. to allow you to get coverage for them. have to get them to say that policy. Took a lot of calling.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:57 am
I had the same issue with my parents insurance. Did u check the Medicaid qualifications for someone pregnant? I qualified when I was pregnant even though I normally dont

gibberish

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:04 pm
Under most policies, you can bill claims for the baby under the mother for the first 30 days. However, from day 31 onward, the baby will need its own policy.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:09 pm
I would contact a good insurance broker in your area to find out how to ensure the baby has coverage as soon as it emerges from the womb.

You really do not want to tempt fate by not having adequate insurance because if C/H the infant requires expensive medical neonatal medical care, it might be problematic.

A good insurance agent can help you determine exactly what to do for your specific location and guide you to the best plan for your child.

Mommy1:)

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:14 pm
your child may qualify for CH+ or medicaid even if you think you don't meet the criteria. If the child does, the application has a retroactive period, so as long as you apply early enough you'll be good. Call the NYS marketplace to find out if you are qualified and when you can apply and how long the retroactive period is from the date of application. Sometimes with medicaid you'll get a card for the unborn child too.

chaya678

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 1:05 pm
Bh spoke to an agent on the phone from nyc marketplace. You can only apply for Child health care plus after the baby is born but as long as you apply within 60 days of birth the baby will be covered from the date of birth.

youngatheart4

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:13 pm
My DIL was under 26 and on her parents' policy when her baby was born. The baby was not covered under her policy from day 1. Fortunately, my son is over 26 and has insurance on his own and was able to add the baby to his policy after it was born. As long as the baby was added in a timely fashion(don't remember if it was 30 or 60 days), the insurance company would retroactive the coverage to the date of birth as long as he paid the premiums for that period. Most policies allow you to add a dependent if there is a life event (birth, loss of coverage due to job, aging out of your parent's policy, etc.). It is good that you are planning ahead. I would research different policies before the baby is born so you can take care of it right after the birth. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries