Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
BE A MENTSCH!! A rant/vent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
There is always a balancing in law. It is so ingrained in our legal system that the fact you never heard of it makes me realize your legal education is lacking.

Balancing? You are the one whose legal education seems to be lacking. Yes there is a concept, however making a sukkah to the curb violates the law itself. See ADA code §36.402 Alterations and §36.403 Alterations: Path of travel.

There is little legal standing to say that the commercial entities desire to accommodate a non-required religious act (as technically there are other options- pop up sukkah in a park, takeout to home or gosh, just not going out to eat that week!) will override the ADA and public use laws.

Imagine for one second you would use a wheelchair. You finally got halfway down a block when you have to backtrack or somehow make it down a curb because there is a giant obstacle blocking the entire sidewalk. Oh and that curb has no curb cut, goes right into oncoming traffic and it is dark outside.
Making that sukkah 3 feet narrower accommodates everyone.

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
How? None of the suggestions on this thead will be incorporated. You need reasonable suggestions.

The only thing I can see that would help besides turning in the evil sukkah builders who violate their permits would be to boycott the shuls and businesses that inconvenience the wide stroller moms. I can't imagine anyone would want to be the poster child for this campaign IRL.

Until women are willing to speak up IRL, then keep up the useless venting here.

Puce, you keep ignoring many suggestions in this thread that are 100% doable for the considerate sukkah builder. No one, NO ONE, is saying these places should not build them. They are saying that they should be 3ft smaller so the sidewalk is left clear. Please tell me how that violates religious needs.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:27 pm
Rolling Eyes water girl, we going in circles, girl!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:45 pm
watergirl wrote:
Puce, you keep ignoring many suggestions in this thread that are 100% doable for the considerate sukkah builder. No one, NO ONE, is saying these places should not build them. They are saying that they should be 3ft smaller so the sidewalk is left clear. Please tell me how that violates religious needs.

And how do you propose to get the sukkah builders to make them 3 ft smaller? The law is on their side. And obviously they feel they need them the size they are.

Complaining here does nothing. You aren't teaching the sukkah builders. No women are saying that they will build their business sukkahs smaller. I gave the suggestion of boycotting. You need to find a way to be heard.

My other suggestion would be to have an actual disabled person get involved as opposed to all the stroller moms. As I stated, I am disabled, but I rather see sukkahs and be inconvenienced.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:51 pm
Why is it difficult to make sukkahs smaller? And no, they don’t need sukkahs that size. And no, the law is not on their side.
Once again Puce, I don’t think you live in this neighborhood, they don’t necessarily build it according to the law.
Please do not suggest yet again that we “turn them in” because I for one am not a believer in that.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
And how do you propose to get the sukkah builders to make them 3 ft smaller? The law is on their side. And obviously they feel they need them the size they are.

Complaining here does nothing. You aren't teaching the sukkah builders. No women are saying that they will build their business sukkahs smaller. I gave the suggestion of boycotting. You need to find a way to be heard.

My other suggestion would be to have an actual disabled person get involved as opposed to all the stroller moms. As I stated, I am disabled, but I rather see sukkahs and be inconvenienced.

That's obvious? They have chosen to build a sukkah. They don't need to. Once building - sure why not make as big as possible. Or as OP suggested - don't. Don't build as big a possible. That's being a mentch.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
Why is it difficult to make sukkahs smaller? And no, they don’t need sukkahs that size. And no, the law is not on their side.
Once again Puce, I don’t think you live in this neighborhood, they don’t necessarily build it according to the law.
Please do not suggest yet again that we “turn them in” because I for one am not a believer in that.

What is going to make them build it smaller? Whining on imamother is ineffective. Do something effective if they bother you so much.

The law is on their side to build them the size they do which is why they get the permits to build to the them right to the curb. The permits are easy to get.

The problem seems to be when they put them up weeks early. I am not familiar with them going up before Rosh Hashona, but this is possible. If they are such a nuisance to the general public going up early, the inspectors would be giving violations.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
That's obvious? They have chosen to build a sukkah. They don't need to. Once building - sure why not make as big as possible. Or as OP suggested - don't. Don't build as big a possible. That's being a mentch.

You are doing nothing to communicate to the non-mentches. They are not going to change the size of their sukkahs on their own.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:25 pm
Venting and whining on imamother is the most effective thing ever!! Wink which is why I did it.
Nobody’s going to change but I might as well make myself feel better by unburdening myself to other imas here.
Although, it is ineffective to tell an imamother to stop whining on a thread that’s titled vent/rant.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
What is going to make them build it smaller? Whining on imamother is ineffective. Do something effective if they bother you so much.

The law is on their side to build them the size they do which is why they get the permits to build to the them right to the curb. The permits are easy to get.

The problem seems to be when they put them up weeks early. I am not familiar with them going up before Rosh Hashona, but this is possible. If they are such a nuisance to the general public going up early, the inspectors would be giving violations.

No evidence has been provided that the restaurants who built these succahs received permits to build them.

Regardless. Forget the law. Forget the inspectors. All OP is asking is to be considerate.

Ima-wife-of-pizza-store-owner - may very well be reading this. Vent away OP.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
You are doing nothing to communicate to the non-mentches. They are not going to change the size of their sukkahs on their own.

So now you think OP has a legit complaint - and you're just upset that she's not taking sufficient action?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:36 pm
Olive, rotf!! Rolling Laughter

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Rolling Eyes water girl, we going in circles, girl!

Pretty much. Perfect for simchas torah. No lore hakafos for me here, though. Next!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
No evidence has been provided that the restaurants who built these succahs received permits to build them.

Regardless. Forget the law. Forget the inspectors. All OP is asking is to be considerate.

Ima-wife-of-pizza-store-owner - may very well be reading this. Vent away OP.

Olive,

That's foolish. The permits are easy to get. Why wouldn't they get the permits for the most part?

Ima-wife-of-pizza-store-owner realistically is not going to interfere in her husband's parnosa for stroller moms whining on imamother. She may question DH. He would be a not so good business man if he gave up space he is entiled to willingly.

Being what you are calling considerate could cost him customers which is his priority.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 4:59 pm
Puce, perhaps they got permits, but chances are that they are extending far past the permit. No one is getting a permit to go until the curb without giving passerby a viable walkway. And guess what? Ima-wifexwhatever will be able to show her husband that of about seven pages of a thread there were prob 3 people who wholeheartedly cheered him on!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
Olive,

That's foolish. The permits are easy to get. Why wouldn't they get the permits for the most part?

Ima-wife-of-pizza-store-owner realistically is not going to interfere in her husband's parnosa for stroller moms whining on imamother. She may question DH. He would be a not so good business man if he gave up space he is entiled to willingly.

Being what you are calling considerate could cost him customers which is his priority.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions.

And to your last point. Yes - being a mentch means doing the right thing - even if it means losing a bit of parnasah. I agree with OP on what the right thing is here.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
Olive,

Do you think that business should take priority over being considerate?! Seriously.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
So now you think OP has a legit complaint - and you're just upset that she's not taking sufficient action?

I don't think she has a sufficient complaint. I think she annoyed. I rather see the sukkahs. I love seeing Jews celebrating their religion openly.

But even though I disagree with her and all the other stroller moms, she is doing nothing to resolve her difficulties. If I really thought there were kids starving because of disabled mothers can't get food or disabled people were in grave danger because of these sukkahs, you can be certain I would not be whining here. I would figure out an effective way to change the situation. Perhaps, I would file an ADA complaint with the Disability Rights Section (DRS) in the Department of Justice against NYC.

shyshira

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think she has a sufficient complaint. I think she annoyed. I rather see the sukkahs. I love seeing Jews celebrating their religion openly.

But even though I disagree with her and all the other stroller moms, she is doing nothing to resolve her difficulties. If I really thought there were kids starving because of disabled mothers can't get food or disabled people were in grave danger because of these sukkahs, you can be certain I would not be whining here. I would figure out an effective way to change the situation. Perhaps, I would file an ADA complaint with the Disability Rights Section (DRS) in the Department of Justice against NYC.

I thought you were concerned about a business and his customers.

If this business owner was openly celebrating succot - he and his workers would be with their families. Restaurant closed.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 5:10 pm
I actually never said anyone was in grave danger, nor did I say anything about starving children...what?!
I was simply complaining about the inconvenience inconsiderate people create for passerby and others on this thread commiserated.
If you think turning them in works, I don’t turn others in, but you do you.
If you think boycotting is a good idea, I don’t think you’ve ever been in Boro Park. How would that even work? Say you come for chol hammed and have no idea and eat at that store? And how do you boycott a shuls?!
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics