Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Should my daughter start wearing a bra? new at this...
1  2  Next

Pickle1

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 10:06 pm
my 11 yr old started showing a bit - when is normal nowadays for girls to start wearing a bra - do I just start with sports bra from local store? - she's definitely not ready for a whole fitting...

this is my oldest and not wanting to repeat my mothers mistakes of how she handled this with me...I want to make sure my daughter is comfortable whatever/whenever we do.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 10:13 pm
If she's showing through her undershirt it's time for something more. She can get fitted for a training bra with sensitivity at the right place. This is a normal age and it's good for her to take care of her changing body.

tachles

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 10:23 pm
I only started wearing one when my school sent in a note that they’ll be checking for scoliosis and that girls will be expected to wear a bra as they’ll be removing their shirt for the exam.
I was so relieved. I wish my mother had gotten me one sooner.
This was in 5th grade and I was 11 I think..
I definitely think you should get your daughter something if she’s showing.
Good luck

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 10:51 pm
How much is she showing? Does she need good support yet or just an extra layer under her shirt?

My 10 year old started developing breast buds. I got her bralettes from Children's Place and she really likes them. They're soft and adjustable and don't make her feel like she's wearing a whole other layer in the heat. I'm trying to figure out what to get her for the winter because she needs a little more support than an undershirt but she wants the coverage of an undershirt for warmth.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 11:02 pm
Gap has great camis with a built-in shelf bra. Dd loved them at that age.
https://www.gap.com/browse/pro.....93002

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 11:08 pm
The lingerie shop in Boro park has undershirts with built in bras perfect for what you are describing, they might have it on their website as well.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 11:33 pm
my tall skinny 11 year old loves these. I bought them when she started developing little "bumps". they give her a nice shape under her clothes. she loves the way they feel, soft and comfy

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 4:12 am
doodlesmom wrote:
The lingerie shop in Boro park has undershirts with built in bras perfect for what you are describing, they might have it on their website as well.

Could you please post a link

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 4:13 am
If your DD is sensory, make sure that the band around the ribs is a bit looser than normal. My mom insisted on getting me "the right size", and I felt like I was being pinched in half!

I'm 53 now, and I still need the extra room and a looser fit. Otherwise all I can think about all day is wanting to rip the thing off and throw it across the room.

If DD tells you the fit is weird, please believe her, not matter how frustrating it is to find the right one.

tf

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
How much is she showing? Does she need good support yet or just an extra layer under her shirt?

My 10 year old started developing breast buds. I got her bralettes from Children's Place and she really likes them. They're soft and adjustable and don't make her feel like she's wearing a whole other layer in the heat. I'm trying to figure out what to get her for the winter because she needs a little more support than an undershirt but she wants the coverage of an undershirt for warmth.

Undershirt for warmth and bra are 2 different things. Doesn't compare. Get both.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:31 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

Ima coffee

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:

Got my 10 year old same thing and she absolutely hates it!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:37 pm
Ask HER. Many girls have no interest, and well some women too

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:43 pm
Aeropostale also sells tank tops with built-in shelf bras. Cute and comfortable and very inexpensive. (I wear something similar when I sleep.) DD started with those before moving on to bras.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:06 pm
tachles wrote:
I only started wearing one when my school sent in a note that they’ll be checking for scoliosis and that girls will be expected to wear a bra as they’ll be removing their shirt for the exam.
I was so relieved. I wish my mother had gotten me one sooner.
This was in 5th grade and I was 11 I think..
I definitely think you should get your daughter something if she’s showing.
Good luck
Which school checks for scoliosis? Isn't that the pediatrician's job?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:10 pm
Mim2006 wrote:
my 11 yr old started showing a bit - when is normal nowadays for girls to start wearing a bra - do I just start with sports bra from local store? - she's definitely not ready for a whole fitting...

this is my oldest and not wanting to repeat my mothers mistakes of how she handled this with me...I want to make sure my daughter is comfortable whatever/whenever we do.

Good for you for being on top of things!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 4:42 am
amother wrote:
Which school checks for scoliosis? Isn't that the pediatrician's job?

Pretty sure it’s a requirement - at least in NJ - tho I’ve heard stories from friends in NY too. My kids’ school has the girls come in wearing bathing suits.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 5:34 am
My mom didn't do anything regarding bras and so everyone in school made fun of me.. I bought one myself when I was 14. Still resent my mom for this all these years later.
Maybe you can talk to her about the development of the breasts and how bras are important for the back so she doesn't have back problems later on etc. I find if you talk about the medical aspect it takes the potential embarrassment out of the picture.

carnation

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:15 am
I buy with my children a sports bra when they're about 10 ( before they need it ) and call it a "half undershirt". I tell them they can start using it whenever they like.. I tell them I want them to have it in their closet in case they need it.

Last edited by carnation on Wed, Oct 31 2018, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

oneofakind

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:49 am
You can always opt out of the scoliosis exam if you want to. The nurse can do it just fine through a shirt if they wanted to (my kids' school had 2 nurses. one made them take off the shirt, one didn't) I liked the sports bras from Walmart.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children