Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Bedtime shema: how much do you say?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:48 am
BT here. What things do you say with your kids and just yourself before going to sleep? Each siddur is different, so what is compulsory and what is optional? Do you say the brocha hampil first or last and do you talk after?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 3:03 am
I remember as a kid saying Shema & V'ahavta. I'm not sure about the next 2 paragraphs. But then my father started saying Yoshev b'seser with me one posuk at a time til I knew it by heart.

In recent years I wasn't saying as much but now I've started saying the whole thing from a siddur.

I didn't say hamapil because I have terrible insomnia. (That's why I'm typing this at 3 am my time). However I wanted to say the tefilah so I say it without Hashem's name, and therefore (I think) I can still talk.

devash1

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 6:40 am
I have said the whole thing for the past 10 years. I started because I was having trouble sleeping and I figured it was good hishtadlus. I felt like once I started I couldn't stop. I say hamapil last but I'm not so good about not talking afterwards.

chani8

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 10:16 am
With the kids (years ago) and for myself, only the one line and the first paragraph.

dinatov

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 10:18 am
I only say she a and v’ahavta with my little kids. At abt 4/5 we add Hamalach and I say it from a side ur but not hamapil.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 10:21 am
We say Shema, V'ahavta and Hamalach with the kids (same for me, I don't get to say more).

heidi

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:16 pm
שמע, ואהבת המלאך
with my kids.
I say the whole thing from a siddur except for הריני מוחל in the beginning which I stopped saying a couple years ago when I realized that I don't mochel some people. I also don't say hamapil bcz I have awful sleeping and staying asleep issues.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:19 pm
Up till High school or bas mitzva I said Kel melech neman and veahavta, hamalach, yivorechicha, hinei lo, rigzoo.
In High school I started saying the whole shema except hamapil. I never say hamapil.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:37 pm
No one says Adon Olam?

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:53 pm
Quote:
No one says Adon Olam?
I do. I say everything that's in my siddur. Happens to be hareinu mochel isn't.

sirel

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:54 pm
With my kids I say
shema and the first paragraph
Hamalach
the pesukim
shir hamaalos
and adon olam.

It's mostly me singing/chanting, it really calms everyone down. some even fall asleep during. Slowly when they get older they know all the words already and join in.

around age 10-11 I introduce the other paragraphs and encourage them to say one every night, switching off every day until they are fluent and feel comfortable saying it without feeling burdened.

I don't say hamapil with the littles. It's too much pressure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics