Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How to keep the bugs away?

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:19 pm
Hello, ladies!
I have been following imamother threads for four years now, and began responding to some occasionally, (rarely, really) but never started my own.
So here's my first (very parve) post!
What do you do to keep mosquitos and other little bugs out of your sukkahs!?
My husband is very mitztaer from the bugs, and we have had to stop our seudah and eat inside because of it, which is really upsetting to me.
He said that next year we will do something about it. I told him that I'll ask neighbors what they do, but now I realize that if I ask you, imas, I'll get many more answers!
So... How to keep the bugs away?
Looking forward to your responses!
Thank you!

simcha2

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:28 pm
We have a mosquito control company come before chag and spray. Makes a huge difference

Cheiny

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:30 pm
simcha2 wrote:
We have a mosquito control company come before chag and spray. Makes a huge difference

Oh I wouldn’t like the chemicals,,,,there are more natural solutions, such as burning a large citronella candle, keeping a dryer sheet in your pocket, and wearing long sleeves and socks!

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:31 pm
Last year a friend told me she puts Bounce Sheets along the top of her succah walls and that keeps the BEES away. Not sure about the other bugs.
I never tried it, but she said it worked great for her. But it must be the original Bounce, not the dollar store brands.

simcha2

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:31 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Oh I wouldn’t like the chemicals,,,,there are more natural solutions, such as burning a large citronella candle, keeping a dryer sheet in your pocket, and wearing long sleeves and socks!

They offer an organic spray. But we've tried everything and this is the only thing that lets us actually enjoy the chag.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 9:47 pm
Thank you! Keep the ideas coming!

sheifelah

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 10:31 pm
I also really can't stand the mosquitos. They literally ruin enjoyment of being in the sukkah for me. 🙁 And there are SO MANY this year. Crying

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 11:00 pm
I have the same problem with fruit flies. Any safe ideas on how to get rid of them? (Not kill them, just make them go away)?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Sep 29 2018, 11:37 pm
I bought a new contraption (a container in which I fill with a sugar+water solution) where the bugs fly in but cannot escape. I place two of them outside the sukka to keep the bugs away. So far it's worked this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics