Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daughters 'friend' cut her hair off - help!
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 2:20 pm
My dd slept over at a friend's house, and when she came home, the hair on the entire top of her head had been cut to about an inch long. Apparently her "friend" did it while she was sleeping.

So aside from dealing with telling my friend what her daughter did, and helping my daughter work through what her friend did - what do I do about her hair??? She can't just not go to school for the year or so it'll take to grow out. She can wear hats for now, but it would really help to have some other ideas. Even something that won't work now but will work when the hair is a little longer.

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 2:28 pm
Buy wide headbands - the type people use for a fall wig

emunahmother

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 4:21 pm
How long is the rest of her hair? How about a messy high bun

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 4:44 pm
How old is dd?

Just wanted to validate any feelings. This happened to someone I know while she was at sleepaway camp. The perpetrators were caught and sent home, because it was recognized how big of a deal this was.

If she is middle school or older, or even approaching middle school, I would consult with a hairdresser about extensions.

littleprincess

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
How old is dd?

Just wanted to validate any feelings. This happened to someone I know while she was at sleepaway camp. The perpetrators were caught and sent home, because it was recognized how big of a deal this was.

If she is middle school or older, or even approaching middle school, I would consult with a hairdresser about extensions.

I second the idea of extensions . My niece had extremely short hair for her brothers bar mitzvah and she was desperate for an up do . Hairdresser added extensions and she looked amazing

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 8:24 pm
Depends on the age of DD. Would a high ponytail work? Or a wide headband?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 9:31 pm
The parents of the girl who cut the hair should pay for the extensions until the hair is grown out to where it was.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 9:33 pm
emunahmother wrote:

Ooh. That’s a good idea bec it prob requires the least. No finding headbands/ putting in extensions, and it’s actually in vogue right now.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:58 am
Maybe you shud go to the hair salon & make a layered short haircut that is professionally cut.

weasley

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 4:03 am
emunahmother wrote:

Buy something like this -

https://www.amazon.com.au/SAYF.....S8ZP4

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:11 am
This would work really well, too. https://www.amazon.com.au/Medi.....opper

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This would work really well, too. https://www.amazon.com.au/Medi.....opper

if that fell off in school it would be beyond humiliating. I can imagine the original "friend" might "accidentally" pull it off to expose her handiwork

I second extensions

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:27 am
OP, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. (No pun intended)
How old is the person that cut your DDs hair? Is this considered "normal"? Or were they playing a game of "Truth or Dare" and took it too far?
It's so concerning that someone would do this to her friend. I just feel terrible for your daughter . She must be so hurt by this.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:46 am
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. (No pun intended)
How old is the person that cut your DDs hair? Is this considered "normal"? Or were they playing a game of "Truth or Dare" and took it too far?
It's so concerning that someone would do this to her friend. I just feel terrible for your daughter . She must be so hurt by this.

This. It's one thing if they were preschoolers. But if they are old enough for sleepovers, it's very upsetting.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:28 am
She can wear a wide sweatband. They're actually in style now.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:58 am
I had someone do that to my daughter, not while she slept though, while they played. I was super grate full that she did it to my daughter and not the other way around. She was a preschooler.
Hugs to you op. Sometimes it's more upsetting to the mother than the child, age factor in consideration.

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:01 pm
My daughter and her friend cut each others hair, but they were 4 years old.
I'm also curious how old your daughter is.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:02 pm
How old is the girl who did this??

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:09 am
Wow, thanks so much to everyone who replied!!

In the end we got her a few cute hats to wear at home, and a synthetic-hair half-wig to wear at school.

Unfortunately covering it up with clever hairstyling isn't an option yet, because the part that was cut includes the part right in front (like, from where bangs would be, to the back of the head) and it was cut very close to the scalp in places. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for later.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:16 am
Dd is nine and her friend is a couple of years older. No, it's not considered normal at all. Fortunately the other girl's parents are taking this very seriously.

Dd was really upset, obviously, but she likes her new "hair" and her hats and seems to be doing OK.

I'm feeling a lot like this poster:
ShishKabob wrote:
I had someone do that to my daughter, not while she slept though, while they played. I was super grate full that she did it to my daughter and not the other way around.

I feel so bad for dd, but also for the other kid and other kid's parents. I think ultimately they are in a much worse situation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children