Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
PLEASE! for the sake of basic hygiene and manners
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Seventy pieces of paper towel is hardly a huge storage issue.

Many people keep paper guest towels in their guest baths and there is no problem of storage or paper towels becoming unusable from wet hands.

I think my roll of paper towels costs about $1 and has at least 75 squares so it's hardly a major financial investment.

This one is from Bed Bath and Beyond for $20

This one is $12.99

While these are all very nice, I don’t have room for them in my bathroom or on my kitchen counter.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:47 pm
Also, to the person who was disappointed that the paper towel thing wasn’t from bb&b, I believe the second one is the one from bb&b

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:50 pm
While I like to use napkins to wipe my hands when I'm away, I don't expect hosts to cater to me. I just look for a clean tissue and don't make a big deal about it.

And it's really not polite to get involved in anyone's hand washing, except one's own small children.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:58 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Also, to the person who was disappointed that the paper towel thing wasn’t from bb&b, I believe the second one is the one from bb&b

Yes, but the first one matched my crown molding in my dining room molding perfectly. I want it for the sink there. It looked like a custom piece which it turned out to be. Sad

4pom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
While I like to use napkins to wipe my hands when I'm away, I don't expect hosts to cater to me. I just look for a clean tissue and don't make a big deal about it.

And it's really not polite to get involved in anyone's hand washing, except one's own small children.

Bravo. Voice of sanity!!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Not everyone keeps extra napkins or tissues around.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:

I always manage to find some on the set table, in a nearby bathroom, or wait to air dry.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I always manage to find some on the set table, in a nearby bathroom, or wait to air dry.

Doing that means your wet hands dripping over my freshly cleaned floor...

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:43 pm
The point of this post was not to be OCD about this or criticize anyone. I didn't mean to offend any of you. I posted to suggest a more sanitary way of cleaning that fits in with basics of hand washing hygiene. We can't eliminate all harmful germs, but we can try to do the basics.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Doing that means your wet hands dripping over my freshly cleaned floor...

Lol. I hate drips. Even when I have a towel right next to me I always shake into the sink first.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
The point of this post was not to be OCD about this or criticize anyone. I didn't mean to offend any of you. I posted to suggest a more sanitary way of cleaning that fits in with basics of hand washing hygiene. We can't eliminate all harmful germs, but we can try to do the basics.

The Key word here is "basic". What you and I (and others) dont agree on is whats basic. Imo, washing hands before eating is basic, having dozens of cut paper towels on hand is not.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:25 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I keep liquid dish soap in my kitchen, and that’s what I wash my hands with. I don’t have separate hand towels for everyone or even separate paper towels, because when hosting 20+ people per meal, that gets way too expensive. I’m with you on serving pieces though. I always make sure that every dish has its own serving piece before it goes out of the kitchen.

I hope all are aware that regular liquid soap may not be used on Shabbat. It must be well diluted with water (before Shabbat) to be permissible for use on Shabbat. I recently found this out,

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:27 pm
purell or shabbos dish soap should be fine

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
The Key word here is "basic". What you and I (and others) dont agree on is whats basic. Imo, washing hands before eating is basic, having dozens of cut paper towels on hand is not.

If you ask someone outside the frum community what basic hand washing hygiene entails, you might be surprised by the answer.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
If you ask someone outside the frum community what basic hand washing hygiene entails, you might be surprised by the answer.

My parents are both BTs and it has never crossed my mind that having individual towels for each person is "basic". This is actually the first I'm hearing of this

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:

Gimme a source, I'd be glad to see. I want to see it defined as "basic" hygiene/etiquette, not just convenient, or a good idea, or even the "cleanest option". Does anyone say that single-use, disposable hand-drying options are a sanitary REQUIREMENT.

My non-frum grandparents have a single hand towel in their bathroom, and will rotate cloth kitchen towels as necessary even when all dozen+ grandchildren/great-grandchildren are visiting at the same time.

I am scared to wipe my hands on the gorgeously lacy and embroidered towels at my non-frum aunt's house, I just pray that holding my hands near enough to drip onto my skirt and not the floor will be enough...

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:

soap and water.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
I hope all are aware that regular liquid soap may not be used on Shabbat. It must be well diluted with water (before Shabbat) to be permissible for use on Shabbat. I recently found this out,

My rav says it’s perfectly fine

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:

Every dinner table should have a big pile. No matter how many I put before the meal it empties out before the meal is over....

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:25 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Gimme a source, I'd be glad to see. I want to see it defined as "basic" hygiene/etiquette, not just convenient, or a good idea, or even the "cleanest option". Does anyone say that single-use, disposable hand-drying options are a sanitary REQUIREMENT.

My non-frum grandparents have a single hand towel in their bathroom, and will rotate cloth kitchen towels as necessary even when all dozen+ grandchildren/great-grandchildren are visiting at the same time.

I am scared to wipe my hands on the gorgeously lacy and embroidered towels at my non-frum aunt's house, I just pray that holding my hands near enough to drip onto my skirt and not the floor will be enough...

Basic means to prevent the spread of germs. You can define basic as just washing with water without soap, but that's not what I consider basic.
Google it. Here's one I found:
https://www.betterhealth.vic.g.....tant:
"Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them
It is best to use paper towels (or single-use cloth towel)."
There are many websites that detail using clean or single use towels. Here's another:
https://infectioncontrol.tips/.....hool/
https://www.foodsafety.gov/blo......html
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashin......html
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette