Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of offering a service; what are your thoughts?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 2:39 am
I'm thinking of ways to earn money, so that I can meet basic living expenses. I like to do things I'm good at. Don't laugh, but I'm good at making nut-milk. My children love it! I love it too! For small eaters, it's a great meal replacement on its own, and for regular eaters, it's a great boost when added to a protein shake.

I'm thinking to offer a service: I would go to people's homes and teach them how to make nut milk with their blender. Or, I'd make it in my home and deliver. Nut milk has a very short shelf life. It can be refrigerated for up to three days, no longer. In my home, a batch of nut milk never lasts that long. It's that tasty, it gets gobbled up in no time.

The nut milks that are currently sold in stores contain ingredients I'd rather not consume. The nut milk I make is made of nuts and water, nothing else. (Unless you want to add sweetener or flavors such as cinnamon, vanilla, etc.) We like ours plain.

What do you think of this idea?

(Location: Brooklyn)

pknt

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 2:47 am
It seems like a great idea! You're making me thirsty!
Ppl are always looking to buy new and healthy things.
If you choose to go into the line, please post it, I'll be your first costumer!

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 3:03 am
Sounds like a nice idea! I would think if you teach people how to make it on their own, you would need to find new consumers constantly, bc your givibg them the tricks of the trade, then they wont need to get it from you anymore. I think rather sell it ready that way you have return customers who like your product

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 3:12 am
I would not pay someone to teach me something that I can quickly learn on youtube.

However - since I don't have the inclination to make the product - I would purchase it from you.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
I would not pay someone to teach me something that I can quickly learn on youtube.

However - since I don't have the inclination to make the product - I would purchase it from you.

This.

Does it really go bad within 3 hours? Even with refrigeration?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 3:31 am
DrMom wrote:
This.

Does it really go bad within 3 hours? Even with refrigeration?

Three days. On the fourth day I wouldn't consume it.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:29 am
I would think you would exhaust the market for people learning how to make nut milk pretty quickly.

Selling it is a better option although you run into issues of selling food since people would have no idea of the conditions you make the stuff in. Also some jurisdictions have requirements in terms of how and where you make food that is sold.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:32 am
Personally, I would not use such a service. If having home made nut milk was that important to me (and I do know a few people like that) I would make it myself, I would not want to spend money on the technical part of the milk.
I also dont think you will have repeat customers for learning to make the milk and to sell the milk will obviously have to be cheaper than any natural food store selling the same thing.
So I think you have to think long and hard to see if this is really viable and will be something profitable.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:32 am
amother wrote:
Three days. On the fourth day I wouldn't consume it.

Ah, my bad.

How big is the market for this stuff? Can it be frozen?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:34 am
Also, there are about a trillion different youtube videos on this. Why would someone want to pay to learn this? Asking seriously, not bashing your idea, just trying to understand why you think this would be something viable.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:41 am
I could see having a group of women come over and pay for a class.

Personally, I'd love to know more about making sauerkraut with live cultures, how to make Indian paneer, and other types of cheese making. Learning how to do canning safely would be a good one, too.

There are a lot of food prep skills that our grandmothers knew, and we're losing that knowledge base. With global warming, pesticides, GMO, drought, and all the rest of stuff that's going on in the world, I think we're going to be seeing a lot more backyard gardeners and "back to earth" movements, like in the 70's

CatLady

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 6:58 am
I'd attend a workshop on making nut milk. Bonus points if we learned what to do with the remaining pulp. Extra bonus points for vegan cheese-making recipes!

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 7:04 am
I’d pay for the milk, not for the class. Why not just sell the milk?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 7:15 am
Most people wouldn’t pay you to come to their houses to teach them how to make something that has 2 ingredients.
Maybe just sell your milk without explaining how to make it so people will want to buy more more.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 7:59 am
I can see people being interested in buying it. Classes may be fun but I can't see a consistent income from that.

Maybe offer a delivery service twice a week?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:10 am
I buy chestnut milk or spelt milk or anything from the organic shops. Stays good more than 3 days.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:33 pm
I think it could be a viable business, and it's certainly easy to start out small. You'd need to think about how you'd sell it, (what kind of containers, what size), how you would store inventory, pricing, etc.

I imagine it would have to be the kind of business where people submit orders and you fill them (as opposed to you just making quantities of the milk and then trying to sell it, since we are talking about such a perishable item).

Start on a smaller scale, test the market, see how many people are interested, and go from there.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:34 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I buy chestnut milk or spelt milk or anything from the organic shops. Stays good more than 3 days.

Pasteurized? Additives?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:36 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I think it could be a viable business, and it's certainly easy to start out small. You'd need to think about how you'd sell it, (what kind of containers, what size), how you would store inventory, pricing, etc.

I imagine it would have to be the kind of business where people submit orders and you fill them (as opposed to you just making quantities of the milk and then trying to sell it, since we are talking about such a perishable item).

Start on a smaller scale, test the market, see how many people are interested, and go from there.

Great thinking all around! You covered all the bases. Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:36 pm
Raisin wrote:
I can see people being interested in buying it.

Maybe offer a delivery service twice a week?

I like this suggestion. Thanks!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics