Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
One thing you remembered from school?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:32 am
I remember the teacher who sat next to me during her final, took my paper and wrote hints near all the questions I was finding difficult. She knew I studied really hard and saw my frustration at not knowing the answers. My frustration was being expressed verbally and not in a very respectful way - she stayed calm, completely ignored the chutzpah aspect, and even sat and helped me until I was done. Her compassion and caring left more of an impression on me than anything I learned textually.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:38 am
I still know the ma nishtana in Yiddish by heart. I learned it in second grade.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:47 am
I also went to BY of Monsey and memorized all those things.

Don't remember a word except that when the text said "Da" (as in hebrew for you should know) we had da*n well better switch it to "Aleinu Ldaas" or we wouldn't get any credit for the paragraph.

It didn't give me ANY basics in faith. It just highlighted the idiocy of some school protocols tbh.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:51 am
One of my high school teachers used to drill into us "Don't be the type of person who is thirty years old and still blaming all her problems and failings on the parents /school/ community she grew up in..."

It was one of the best schools lessons I got.

(Of note before we graduated that same teacher told us "For all those I said the wrong thing to , for all those who will find themselves wishing they never listened to me, for all those who would have done better had I stressed other things let me say that I'm sorry and ask for your forgiveness")

groovy1224

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:56 am
One time in high school we had to switch classrooms suddenly (can't remember why- maybe the AC wasn't working?) and so we had to move desks because the new classroom was empty. The teacher remarked that what everyone should do is bring in a desk for a fellow student instead of for herself- it's the same amount of work, and you get a mitzvah!

Was a small little thing, but stuck with me for some reason. When you open your eyes to ways you can do small favors for other people without much effort (let's face it, we're all busy and sometimes don't have time for grand gestures) it makes a big difference in you life and relationships.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:06 am
Unfortunately what I remember isn't all good but maybe authority figures in the school can learn a thing or two about sensitivity to students. I was a good student from a simple family. We followed all rules & I bh never saw the principles office. In high school I had very severe acne. In 12th grade it came to a point that I didn't want to leave the house. My simple mom took me to a beautician & she made me a foundation the exact color of my skin. It covered my pimples & I looked great. For people that didn't know I have acne they wouldn't dream I was wearing foundation. I got to school & the principal realized that I looked good for a change. She gave me such a run down that dont I know that makeup isn't allowed & I can't go into class if I dont wipe my face. I was so shocked I went home. I never ever got in trouble since first grade, I was a good student & layed low. What was the principal thinking??My mom called her & took care of the matter. Principals & teachers have to use common sense when picking on a girl!!! Even when someone does break a rule it needs to be dealt with sensitivity.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:13 am
In first grade we were having a short "test" on some hilchos yomtov for rosh hashana/yom kippur (one of my first tests I had ever taken). I was having a hard time remembering a certain answer to a question. As everyone was finishing up, girls handing it in, waiting at teachers deak to ask questions ect, I too went to ask question... But teacher obviously wasnt going to give me answer. I decided I was gonna quickly go check for the answer in my notebook. I though teacher wouldnt notice cuz a lot was happening around her. I got the answer I was looking for and handed it in. At recess time the teacher asked me to stay back and brought me to the office (was the school secretary office). She questioned me how I got the answer... Ect. I told the truth and she gave a small lecture about cheating. But she was very calm and kind in the way she gave it

I never cheated again for all of my schooling years.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:27 am
The principal of our school sat with me to perfect my handwriting.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:29 am
When I came late...my hs principal told me I won't ever be able to marry because when she will be asked info about me for a shidduch she will tell them that I always came late to school.

giselle

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
From art class: when drawing a human head, make the eyes right in the middle of the face, not near the top

Yes I remember that from my beloved teacher Shavy Shurkin a”h.

tf

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:37 am
dankbar wrote:
One thing I remember is how when one kid was singled out by authority for tsnius....(She was keeping school rules in school) for no good reason....it didn't strengthen her tznius just the opposite....it made her repulsive to all these restrictions. It shamed her & it wasn't fair....So what you learn from this....a whole lot...you decide

There are lots and lots of lessons I Learned this way. Much much more than actual lessons to memorize. I learned not to do to others what you don't want for yourself. To me it was ironic that adults didn't do as they learned. I try my best not to follow their example and hope I don't fall through.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:07 pm
"When I came late...my hs principal told me I won't ever be able to marry because when she will be asked info about me for a shidduch she will tell them that I always came late to school." SERIOUSLY??? That's disgusting!

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:16 pm
In high school, when a teacher was sitting shiva, another teacher used class time to pull us out of school and take us to pay a shiva call. She taught us all the rules and the whys, and told us she would take the lead and none of us had to talk if we didn't want to. It was real life yahadus, and really helped me in the futurw.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 5:14 pm
Three things I learned the hard way:
1. Don’t lend anything you want back.
2. When you take an instant dislike to someone the moment you meet, don’t feel guilty and ignore it. It’s your intuition and it’s usually rightaccept it and don’t feel guilty. Eventually you’ll find out your intuition was right.
3. When someone who never gave you the time of day suddenly turns up sweet, don’t engage, don’t pass GO, don’t collect $200. Remember you’re late for an urgent appointment and leave.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 5:20 pm
I remember the way a teacher made me feel like garbage because I wasn't from the right type of family hashkafically (from her perspective) and literally made me feel worthless any chance she got.

I became a teacher so no student of mine ever has to walk out of a classroom feeling the way she made me feel.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 5:33 pm
In first grade, probably the first time the teacher handed out a worksheet. The teacher asked "where is xxxxx?" I answered. The teacher kicked me out of the class because I did not raise my hand. I was so shocked, because I didn't know I was supposed to raise my hand. I remember crying and refusing to stand outside. The teacher let me stand inside the classroom by the door.

The reason why I didn't want to go into the hallway was because the previous year I spent the first day of school in the hallway. My mother told me who my teacher was, so I went to that classroom. The teacher told me I'm not on her list and told me to go to the office. It was my first day in school (I can't even imagine, but my mom sent me on the bus with my sisters) I did not know where the office was. So I sat in the hallway for what felt like hours, crying. A sweet women passed and helped me get back into my original class. Then office wasn't sure why my name wasn't on the list.

No surprise that I never liked school.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 5:46 pm
Another incident that stands out in my mind is when I was tutoring a classmate of mine who due to unfortunate circumstances was very behind the rest of the class, and I asked a teacher if she had a modified test that required knowing less material, she replied that she does not have one but invited me to make one up based on the material I actually cover - thus relieving me from the pressure of covering everything and allowing me to make sure this classmate will do well. But her next stipulation showed me what an amazing person she was - she requested that I hand it into her before she teaches my class so that she can rewrite it in her handwriting and the girl will never know that what she’s receiving is different. She taught me what extra consideration and going out of your way to make others comfortable means.

I’m so saddened by all those who’s memories of school center on negativity. I had plenty of bad experiences but they’re not the ones that stand out in my mind. Not are they the ones id choose to think of as a teachable moment

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:

I’m so saddened by all those who’s memories of school center on negativity. I had plenty of bad experiences but they’re not the ones that stand out in my mind. Not are they the ones id choose to think of as a teachable moment

Some people can take positive and pass it on. Some people get hit with so much negative they learn to take that negative, turn it positive and grow despite it.

Everyone has their own way to create teachable moments.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 4:20 pm
When learning about the Sotah, my teacher used to always say:
No one wakes up one morning and decides to be a Sotah!
Girls, it starts now!

Another teacher: If you cheat on your tests, you'll cheat on your taxes and you'll cheat on your husband.
Lol, we loved that one.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 9:50 pm
I grew up in a city known for hot summers and cold winters, where many people don't have central AC. My BY high school teacher told us that the reason there was more crime in the summer was because women wear less clothing. I thought, sure, people spending more time outside and longer days and kids having time off from school has nothing to do with it. So when she told us that going to college would destroy our neshomos, I considered the source and paid no attention.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational