Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
One thing you remembered from school?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 10:19 pm
A teacher in high school told our class that wearing makeup as an adult makes up what you are lacking internally shock

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:21 am
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me remember the rest of the song of Reb. Friedman?

מ'טאר נישט גיין מיט א shtaty bow
מ'טאר נישט פרובירן צו זיין אויף show

she also referred to a face with makeup as a פנים חדשות - פנים חלשות

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:17 am
I learned that it's horrible to be an a-hole. Be nice. Especially to kids.

When I was started 6th grade, my dysfunctional parents decided that there wasn't time to go school supply shopping that year. I cried, and begged, and of course dreaded the first day of school, with my empty briefcase.

My hebrew teacher said, "that's no problem at all! why don't you come to my house after school - I'll give you the supplies you need"

My english teacher screamed bloody murder and mortified me in front of the class. As if it was my fault.

To this day I resent her more than anyone.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:40 am
amother wrote:
When learning about the Sotah, my teacher used to always say:
No one wakes up one morning and decides to be a Sotah!
Girls, it starts now!

Another teacher: If you cheat on your tests, you'll cheat on your taxes and you'll cheat on your husband.
Lol, we loved that one.

shock

I always think I've heard it all.......

Sleepymama

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 5:52 am
Of everything I learned in all my years of school one thing stands out and stays with me and I think about it all the time. It was my 8th grade chumush teacher. During afternoon recess she stood by her desk and davened mincha. Just the way she davened effects me to this day. She was so focused and so present you could just tell that she had stepped out of this world and was standing before the kisay hakavod. Usually we were outside during recess but sometimes I would come in the room for some reason to get something and there she was in a totally different world, and it was so clear that she was in a compete dialogue with hashem. She has no idea that this is probably the single most powerful thing I learned in school. Just to have a model for what true tefillah can be. I think about her before I daven shemona esrei it helps my tefillah so much. It's not what our teachers teach us, but who they are that ends up making the biggest impression.

jerusalem90

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Unfortunately what I remember isn't all good but maybe authority figures in the school can learn a thing or two about sensitivity to students. I was a good student from a simple family. We followed all rules & I bh never saw the principles office. In high school I had very severe acne. In 12th grade it came to a point that I didn't want to leave the house. My simple mom took me to a beautician & she made me a foundation the exact color of my skin. It covered my pimples & I looked great. For people that didn't know I have acne they wouldn't dream I was wearing foundation. I got to school & the principal realized that I looked good for a change. She gave me such a run down that dont I know that makeup isn't allowed & I can't go into class if I dont wipe my face. I was so shocked I went home. I never ever got in trouble since first grade, I was a good student & layed low. What was the principal thinking??My mom called her & took care of the matter. Principals & teachers have to use common sense when picking on a girl!!! Even when someone does break a rule it needs to be dealt with sensitivity.

I always thought that people who ban makeup should allow foundation and powder, they're a totally different category.

Lipstick, eye shadow, blush, mascara -- all of those draw attention to yourself and enhance your beauty.

Foundation and powder merely hide your blemishes -- seems like a lot more modest of a purpose.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:47 am
How in second grade after my sibling got married I came about half an hour late to school after sheva brachos each night. (I had an older sister in high school and that worked with her schedule to miss one period and my dad wanted to drive only once)
Every morning when I walked in I got a yelling from my teacher about coming late and disturbing everyone during tefillah.
Not sure how the teacher thought a seven year old is in control of the time she comes to school!!!
I couldn't be on time since I was the first stop on the bus and was picked up 1 hour and 15 min. Before school starts.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:15 pm
Chava had relations with the snake. After that all humans were born with a Zuhama, a spiritual impurity on them. By Matan Torah, the Zuhama (spiritual impurity) was removed from all Jewish people. The reason that gentiles want to marry Jews is because they sense that Zuhama is missing from the Jewish people. Actually I was told this by my Rav.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:18 pm
Wow. I have so much to say on this thread. Just the shock shock shock shock and the "wow how beautiful!" 's.

One thing I need to comment on is the makeup. That is just beyond. (One of the many beyonds)
Two of my neice had terrible acne. One in 10th and one in 11th grade wore makeup in school. Noone said a boo. Official school rule is no makeup. Only foundation in 12th grade if terrible acne. But they were 10th and 11th. Noone said anything. She graduated with high honors. (Satmar schools. In willi and kj btw.) I think satmar is "frum" enough....
That principal was just plain mean.

What I remember most from school, in 7th grade we had a sweet teacher. She was struggling badly at the time. 2 or 3 uears prior she was responsible for her younger sibling when a terrible tragedy happened and that child was killed.
When she was teaching us she was in a bad place. She was anorexic, her nails were full of fungus, her hair was starting to fall out and very rough, she was also super super thin and had a constant cold with terrible acne. The poor thing. She was also an older girl.
But obviously was a very very special person.

And we didn't help matters. Being girls fingers thru puberty we were MEAN. I wasn't from the ringleader but I enjoyed joining in some of it.... I remember we made her cry more than once.....

All the years the guilt of how we hrbaved was constantly on my mind. Before I got married in called her and introduced myself. I told her how sorry I was for the way I behaved. It was a short conversation.

But she said she never held a grudge and contrary to what I thought she actually loved us and was so happy to hear when we are doing well and she only wished us well. And that we were just kids who were going thru our own difficult time.....

I was blown away to say the least. When she was down in the dumps and we were trampling her she had so much love and compassion, she never even resented us!!!!
I'm still in awe of her. And I think about her often. How a person is who they are, not their struggles. And to always look for that real person inside.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
Three things I learned the hard way:

2. When you take an instant dislike to someone the moment you meet, don’t feel guilty and ignore it. It’s your intuition and it’s usually rightaccept it and don’t feel guilty. Eventually you’ll find out your intuition was right.
Not so sure about this.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
Chava had relations with the snake. After that all humans were born with a Zuhama, a spiritual impurity on them. By Matan Torah, the Zuhama (spiritual impurity) was removed from all Jewish people. The reason that gentiles want to marry Jews is because they sense that Zuhama is missing from the Jewish people. Actually I was told this by my Rav.

Ugh.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
Not so sure about this.

After a good deal of experience and regret, I found this to be true for me. Every. Single. Time I have an instant dislike for someone— not “ she doesn’t seem very friendly” , or “ what a boring person” “what a nudnik” or “what an irritating person” but a deep visceral dislike (maybe it’s something inimical in their eyes), the person proves to be a snake. I no longer deny my instincts. They’re there to protect me.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 1:35 pm
how to braid a 6 braid challah
hilchos shabbos
hilchos basar v'chalav

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
After a good deal of experience and regret, I found this to be true for me. Every. Single. Time I have an instant dislike for someone— not “ she doesn’t seem very friendly” , or “ what a boring person” “what a nudnik” or “what an irritating person” but a deep visceral dislike (maybe it’s something inimical in their eyes), the person proves to be a snake. I no longer deny my instincts. They’re there to protect me.

This is true. And whenever I didn't trust myself, I regretted it.
Then there was one new neighborhood I just couldn't stand. No real reason. Just here personality. I had some opinions/intuitions about her (that I kept to myself....) about keeping my guard up in certain areas. and every one turned out to be right.

But mostly her posnality just annoyed me. And so I worked on it. Taking her in small doses (when she wanted LARGE ones.) And not before breakfast. Lol.
And I have to say, she really grew on me.....

Onother thing about school I remember, a teacher once said, if you want a good thing it is ok to run after it.
Like all young teens friends pasha was a complex one. And I really liked a kid but after not getting my gestures returned twice I gave up.
After hearing that I tried another few times and we ended being good friends all thru the end of middle and then high school.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 7:53 am
groovy1224 wrote:
One time in high school we had to switch classrooms suddenly (can't remember why- maybe the AC wasn't working?) and so we had to move desks because the new classroom was empty. The teacher remarked that what everyone should do is bring in a desk for a fellow student instead of for herself- it's the same amount of work, and you get a mitzvah!

I do that with my children sometimes.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:18 am
amother wrote:

I agree. I've had the first impression that a person is boring and ended up dead wrong --absolutely amazing human being that I've fallen in love with.

BUT: when I've had the impression "this person is morally unstable" I've always been right. Usually it's because (1) they are making incredible claims which I suspect are lies and turn out to be lies. Or (2) they get angry and aggressive when you politely ask about inconsistencies in their stories or show a flicker of doubt for their capabilities (saying "it's worth it to try, but you should have a back up plan in case that doesn't work").

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:05 am
This probably isn’t inspirational, but we used to memorize Navi by singing it in 10th and 11th grade. We had to pick a tune that was appropriate for the words. I’m close to 40, and I can still sing the perek of Chazon Yeshayahu by heart. And no, I’m not sure why that one stuck.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:25 am
I had a very special high school teacher who told us to set our Shabbos table by Thursday night. She said you will be calmer with your preparations, it will make you feel that Shabbos is coming! I do that to this day - setting my table is the first thing I do to prepare for Shabbos. Whatever I end up cooking, my table is set and I feel calmer. I think of this teacher every week, over 20 years of marriage B"AH. May her neshama have an aliya in this zchus.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:27 am
Another thing - I had a teacher in high school who used to give out her tests individually to each student - it had your name on top, pre-written by the teacher. We all just thought she was super-organized. Much later, I heard that this allowed her to customize tests where needed, without embarrassing any student.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:37 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had a very special high school teacher who told us to set our Shabbos table by Thursday night. She said you will be calmer with your preparations, it will make you feel that Shabbos is coming! I do that to this day - setting my table is the first thing I do to prepare for Shabbos. Whatever I end up cooking, my table is set and I feel calmer. I think of this teacher every week, over 20 years of marriage B"AH. May her neshama have an aliya in this zchus.

I wish I could do that. It would make me so much calmer. Unfortunately, my toddler will unset my table as many times as I set it. So I can only set it immediately before we eat.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational