Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to bathe a kid with stitches?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:29 am
My DS got stitches on his leg yesterday. The area is below the knee, closer to his ankle. He is not allowed to get it wet at all for at least 10 days. I would sponge bathe him etc. , but he is my bedwetter and really smells badly if he doesn't have a real bath or shower.
What can I do to guarantee his wound won't get wet when I wash him down? Any tips?

simcha2

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:31 am
They make wound covers for the shower.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:32 am
Does he take showers? I would just shower each body part like its yomtov.

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:38 am
I would wrap his leg in saran wrap several times then put a rubber band above and below the wound.
Try to keep the leg out of direct shower spray but if it gets a little wet the saran wrap should hold.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:43 am
If he's a bed wetter, I would put him in a bath, keep that leg raised on the tub wall and also wrap his leg in a bag and keep it sealed with a large rubber band, not too tight. Then when he gets done bathing, you take off the bag and dip that foot into the water while he's standing.
Good luck

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:44 am
The last time I had surgery, they covered the wound with a water proof bandage and I could shower. Call up the doctor's office and see if they can put one on. I know they also sell these types of waterproof bandages on the web but you probably want one right away - maybe a good local drug store stocks.

Before that, I have wrapped the foot in a large plastic trash bag and sealed the top with the surgical waterproof tape so there is a seal and then a shower. It worked pretty well.

emunahmother

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:45 am
Does your shower head come off? If yes, I would wrap in Saran Wrap like a previous poster explained and then help him wash the area with that leg resting on the ledge if possible.

I was recently in the hospital with one of my kids and they provided a thicker version of Saran Wrap to cover the pick line (sp?) for the IV. They would wrap over it, going extra above and below. Oh and they also mentioned not to submerge it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:46 am
Fill the tub very low & he should keep his leg raised.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:14 am
Are you sure he can't get it wet at all? We've had a few stitches and they've always been allowed to shower after the first day or so just no bathing or swimming.
If you really can't get it wet, there are waterproof dressings you can buy to cover it.

yogabird

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:22 am
www.amazon.com/Shower-Shield-C.....rier/

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:27 am
mommyhood wrote:
Are you sure he can't get it wet at all? We've had a few stitches and they've always been allowed to shower after the first day or so just no bathing or swimming.
If you really can't get it wet, there are waterproof dressings you can buy to cover it.

You are right. I just checked the instructions my DH gave over from the doctor. It can't get wet for 48 hours and then we actually have to wash it and apply antibiotic ointment and change the dressings. Thanks for having me double check!
Thanks all for the advice, at least I'll know how to bathe him today and tomorrow. I appreciate all the ideas
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics