Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Equivalent of 3 oz yeast

Lizajen

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:27 pm
My challah recipe calls for 3 oz yeast. How many teaspoons/ Tablespoons is it? Thanx so much!

oliveoil

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:31 pm
Is it a huge recipe?

I think it's 9 tbsp or 12 envelopes

Each envelope is 0.25 oz. So you need 12 of those for 3 oz.

Each envelope is also 2.25 tsp.

2.25 x 12 =27

3 tsp in a tablespoon, so 27 tsp = 9 tbsp.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:32 pm
(unless your recipe calls for 3 oz fresh yeast and you're trying to convert it to dry. That's a totally different equation.)

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:33 pm
Based on a calculation I did online the other day it's 17 tsp

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 3:49 pm
Lizajen wrote:
My challah recipe calls for 3 oz yeast. How many teaspoons/ Tablespoons is it? Thanx so much!

3 ounces fresh yeast converted to dry yeast is about 10 teaspoons dry yeast (or 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 6:03 pm
What ra mom said. About 3 tablespoons. Roughly. It doesn’t have to be precise because the yeast reproduces itself. If you use a bit less, it may take a tad longer to get going; use a drop more and it may rise an eyeblink sooner. Use 9 tablespoons and it will rise so fast it’ll have no time for flavor to develop, it’ll taste and smell like a brewery, and if it doesn’t overrise in the oven and deflate like a leaky balloon, it’ll be full of enormous holes from the oversized bubbles that will form in the dough.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 6:15 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Is it a huge recipe?

I think it's 9 tbsp or 12 envelopes

Each envelope is 0.25 oz. So you need 12 of those for 3 oz.

Each envelope is also 2.25 tsp.

2.25 x 12 =27

3 tsp in a tablespoon, so 27 tsp = 9 tbsp.
You’re confusing units. Fresh cake yeast is measured and sold by weight, dry yeast sold by weight(when in bulk) and measured by volume. 1/4 oz. dry is the equivalent rising power of 1oz. fresh, but unless you have a lab scale (commercial bakers do) you’re not weighing out your dry yeast. You’re measuring it with a spoon. And even if you do weigh your yeast, you don’t use the same weight of dry as fresh.

The difference in weight is the water contained in the fresh yeast. Like the difference in weight between fresh plums and prunes. If a recipe called for a pound of plums and all you had was prunes, you wouldn’t use a pound of prunes. You’d use as many prunes as are made from a pound of plums, which is probably between 4 and 12 depending on the size of plums. This is waaaay less than a pound of prunes, and then you’d soak the prunes to rehydrate them.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 7:51 pm
zaq wrote:
You’re confusing units. Fresh cake yeast is measured and sold by weight, dry yeast sold by weight(when in bulk) and measured by volume. 1/4 oz. dry is the equivalent rising power of 1oz. fresh, but unless you have a lab scale (commercial bakers do) you’re not weighing out your dry yeast. You’re measuring it with a spoon. And even if you do weigh your yeast, you don’t use the same weight of dry as fresh.

The difference in weight is the water contained in the fresh yeast. Like the difference in weight between fresh plums and prunes. If a recipe called for a pound of plums and all you had was prunes, you wouldn’t use a pound of prunes. You’d use as many prunes as are made from a pound of plums, which is probably between 4 and 12 depending on the size of plums. This is waaaay less than a pound of prunes, and then you’d soak the prunes to rehydrate them.

Actually the OP did not clarify if she's trying to convert fresh yeast to dry yeast. My calculation was for 3 oz dry yeast (weighed) into tablespoons. Many countries weigh all their ingredients, so if she's using a non-American recipe, it's very likely her recipe calls for a weight amount of dry yeast, which she is trying to figure out without a scale.

I did add in a subsequent post that if she's converting fresh to dry it's an entirely different calculation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads