Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How long can 6 year old walk at one time?
1  2  Next

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:00 pm
How many minutes one way would you expect a 6 year old to be able to walk on Shabbos?

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:03 pm
Mine can walk 20-30 min. We don’t use the Eruv so they figured out pretty early if they want to go places they need to walk.

Last edited by mha3484 on Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

mrsjay

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:04 pm
35 minutes max...but I'm basing that on my children.. every child is different.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:06 pm
My small almost seven dd can walk up to half hour. Reason why I’m mentioning small is because I feel that it makes a difference in her strength

Simple1

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:08 pm
It depends how motivated he is.

mamaroo

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:15 pm
My 3 yr old can walk for an hour on Shabbos.
We do it every other Shabbos, but I trained him walking with him on weekdays and each time a little bit longer.

little neshamala

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:27 pm
My almost 6 year old easily does 25 min as long as he is wearing good shoes and is nicely distracted

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:28 pm
mamaroo wrote:
My 3 yr old can walk for an hour on Shabbos.
We do it every other Shabbos, but I trained him walking with him on weekdays and each time a little bit longer.

My small 3 year old wouldn't walk past the second house.... so although she's by baby I'm mostly locked in on shabbos. (She has some low muscle tone in her legs we are working on)

My very big 5 yo (I also believe size does matter) Can walk 30 minutes or so.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:30 pm
Depends on the kid. I have one great walker and one much more easily tired. Helpful if there's a playground about 2/3 of the way there...

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
My small 3 year old wouldn't walk past the second house.... so although she's by baby I'm mostly locked in on shabbos. (She has some low muscle tone in her legs we are working on)

My very big 5 yo (I also believe size does matter) Can walk 30 minutes or so.

It takes more energy to move for a bigger kid than smaller. But low tone can make it harder to walk further.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:34 pm
My kids are all low tone so I ditch the stroller between 2 and 3 and really encourage them to walk as much as possible.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
It takes more energy to move for a bigger kid than smaller. But low tone can make it harder to walk further.

By bigger I meant tall. My mistake. She's actually quiet thin for a 5 yo but a tall like a 6yo+

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:43 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My kids are all low tone so I ditch the stroller between 2 and 3 and really encourage them to walk as much as possible.

I tried that. But she sits down and refuses to walk. She can run and play easily because then she is distracted but she also sleeps more than average her age. It's exhausting for her!
She also has close to no trunk muscle power.
She doesn't have the strength to push her own weight and peddle a bike... and at 3.5 years old she's all of 29 lbs.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:44 pm
Are there hills involved? I used to walk mine across town to shul, about a twenty-ish minute walk (without him, it was five minutes less). When we got to the top of a big hill, we stopped for a drink and/or a short snack. Then he felt good to go on.

Also, he's a sprinter/shlepper, with nothing in between, so I worked that. You have to know your kid. And walking to playdates is certainly easier than home from them.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:57 pm
My 7 year old can hike for at least 4 miles.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 7:41 pm
It depends of you live in the city or suburbs with hills. We live in Monsey & my 7 year old can walk about 1/2 hour.

momof2+?

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 8:33 pm
Am I the only one whose 5 1/2 year old son doesn’t walk for these lengths of time? He is a strong kid, loves sports and outdoors. Doesn’t like walking. Period.
35 minutes?! 4 miles?! Huh?
He complains about 4 blocks!

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 8:43 pm
Half hour is long!!
That said, my lively 3 year old walks better than my lazy 8 year old.

It totally depends on the child, not the age.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 4:27 am
Complaining is ok. But a healthy child should be able to do it especially if motivated. Caveat they do little steps compared to us. But some kids already hike.

sirel

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 4:31 am
when we went camping and did a hike (easy, no major climbing involved), everyone down to the 3 year old was able to walk for 3 hours. But I don't know how many miles, we walked slow and took breaks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics