Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Coed preschool classroom

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:29 am
I have no objection to a coed preschool classroom.
We live in an area that has a lot of diversity.
My daughter is 4 and her class is really small, so it has been decided to combine the boys and girls.
Some of the parents are against this and the morahs have decided to combine the class but keep them in two seperate groups (no idea how thats even possible, seems like they are just trying to appease the other parents)
Anyways, my daughter is very bright. She has asked me before if she is allowed to play with boys. Seems like she is picking up a vibe from some of her friends.
I am sure that some of the girls in her class will be coming to school with a bad attitude towards the boys in the class and I would like to counter that.
How can I explain what is going on to her?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:35 am
It's pretty much the norm. But yes sometimes they separate recess or touching games like "cat and mouse". You can say no touching or whatever you think. Or you can say ask the mora.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:40 am
Wow. I have no words.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:45 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Wow. I have no words.

no words for what?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
no words for what?

For some people’s idiocy.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:52 am
For the idea that there is an issue with 4 year olds of opposite gender posing a problem.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:54 am
OH, I agree! Problem is, the voice of extremism is usually louder that the others, so my daughter will be hearing it, and I will need to explain it to her.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:16 am
That's insane.

I wouldn't send my kid to such a preschool if there was another option. Because I dont beleivr its the right thing in a fotmal setting
(Just about putting them on a path. NOT that little boys and little girls can't play together) But not to TOUCH? If this was the best school option for other reasons then so be it.

Don't these kids play with their neighbors?

My 5 yo daughters best friend was my neighbors 5 yo som till recently. (You know.... they change with the weather. Lol) they'd hold hands and she said she's going to marry him one day. Rolling Laughter

We lived in Kiryas Joel and we all thought it was hilariously cute and so innocent.

I think I would tell me daughter something to the affect that they are Jewish children as much as she is. And she can play with whoever she wants to in school.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:33 am
On my chassidish block the boys & girls play together much older than 4 years old! I remember growing up was also like this.
I understand why some moms do object though, they're just not used to it. But if you think it's ok, just tell your DD she can play with the boys.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:11 am
That sounds really extreme. You may want to consider a different preschool.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:18 am
When I was 4 I lived out of town and there was frum COED preschool. I was always playing with the boys and I did have girlfriends too. But one thing that bothered me till this day is that we had bathroom stalls and the opposite gender would peek into the bathrooms, when we were there. Apparently no supervision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers