Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Large bread machine

emes121

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:43 am
I am looking to buy a new bread machine. Any suggestions for one that has a large capacity(more than two challahs).
Also I got a Bosch universal kitchen machine. There are recipes for breads but does this machine work the same as a bread machine?
thanks

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:16 pm
When you say you can make challah in a bread machine, does that mean that you are not braiding the challah?

( I have never used a bread machine before but I make challah dough all the time with a Bosch))

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:20 pm
emes121 wrote:
I am looking to buy a new bread machine. Any suggestions for one that has a large capacity(more than two challahs).
Also I got a Bosch universal kitchen machine. There are recipes for breads but does this machine work the same as a bread machine?
thanks

You can make a 5 lb flour Challah recipe in the Bosch Universal Mixer, but you need to buy the stainless steel bowl first with accompanying dough hook, otherwise it will overheat the motor.

emes121

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:20 pm
I use the machine just to make the dough and it does its first rise in the machine. I shape it and then let it rise the 2nd time and then bake

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:24 pm
emes121 wrote:
I use the machine just to make the dough and it does its first rise in the machine. I shape it and then let it rise the 2nd time and then bake

I do the same with the Bosch. The difference between the Bosch and the bread machine is that I need to stay present during the 20 minutes of machine kneading in the Bosch. And during the first rising process, my recipe calls for punching down twice, so I return to the machine and turn it on for a quick spin to punch down.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:28 pm
I thought that the bread machine also bakes the dough- am I wrong?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:47 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I thought that the bread machine also bakes the dough- am I wrong?

Yes, if you want a plain loaf. Most people who use the bread machine for challah, use it for the dough only.

emes121

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 1:19 pm
how long does the process take from adding ingredients till after the first rise?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 1:58 pm
emes121 wrote:
how long does the process take from adding ingredients till after the first rise?

I keep the mixer on for 20 minutes after I put in the ingredients. Then let the dough rise in the machine for 1 hour.

Braid. Rise. Bake.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I keep the mixer on for 20 minutes after I put in the ingredients. Then let the dough rise in the machine for 1 hour.

Braid. Rise. Bake.

So if I didn’t want to bother with braiding the dough I would just keep it in the machine and get a loaf? I guess if I need more than one loaf for shabbos it wouldn’t pay to do it a few times...
Maybe someone could invent a machine that makes a few loaves???

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:53 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
So if I didn’t want to bother with braiding the dough I would just keep it in the machine and get a loaf? I guess if I need more than one loaf for shabbos it wouldn’t pay to do it a few times...
Maybe someone could invent a machine that makes a few loaves???

Yes you add the ingredients, set it, and get a baked loaf. Just 1 loaf at a time though.
And you need to learn to remove the loaf without ripping a hole in the bottom so it stays shaleim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads