Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
5'4 ideal weight question?
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:05 am
I'm 5'4 and fluctuate between 140-150 pounds. I try to exercise and eat well but I'm overweight according to BMI. At my skinniest, I was 130. I don't think I was ever under 125, even as a teen.

Are some body types going to be at the upper limit of normal BMI no matter what? I would never be able to weigh 115 or 120 even though many 5'4 people do. I am not small framed and I look more broad than petite.

Can my goal weight be 130? Is it realistic to realize some people's body types can't be the lower range of normal BMI?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:09 am
Of course. Everyone is different. And at 144 you are not overweight.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:09 am
How old are you?

I'm also 5'4 and I was always slim as a teen. I doubt I ever weighed more than 115 lbs. But as I grew older, my metabolism slowed down. And now I'm similar to your weight. I know that's considered overweight for my height, but truth is, I don't sweat it much. I try to eat healthier when I'm able, but I look okay overall, and I've just accepted that this is who I am and what I look like.

I think age has alot to do with it. If I would get to 130 lbs. that would be amazing. I don't know if I can realistically do even that.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:13 am
I am your height and the medium ideal weight for that height (according to BMI plus other books I've researched this from) is 130. 117 is the lower end of the range for small-boned people and 143 is the upper end of the range for larger-boned women.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:20 am
U sound just like me! Same stats exactly.
I am broad too, with heavy bones. Built like a peasant LOL rather than a princess.
I have a nice, well-proportioned figure but I am and never was willowly or slight, even at my thinnest during my teens, when if I say so myself I was considered very attractive.
I also can't remember ever weighing under 125.
My girls are built like me too and are fine with it, even if most of their classmates are thinner.
Sometimes they get frustrated that they are not built more delicately, especially when they go shopping but overall they like their curvy, feminine bodies and I am very grateful for that.
I say don't sweat it. If you are fit and healthy and you like the way you look, who cares about BMI?

Aylat

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
I'm 5'4 and fluctuate between 140-150 pounds. I try to exercise and eat well but I'm overweight according to BMI. At my skinniest, I was 130. I don't think I was ever under 125, even as a teen.

Are some body types going to be at the upper limit of normal BMI no matter what? I would never be able to weigh 115 or 120 even though many 5'4 people do. I am not small framed and I look more broad than petite.

Can my goal weight be 130? Is it realistic to realize some people's body types can't be the lower range of normal BMI?

Yes. My husband at his very fittest and leanest was at the very upper end of normal bmi. I am also in the upper half of normal bmi even at my skinniest. There are limitations to the bmi measurement and this is one of them.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:43 am
I’m finding this conversation interesting because I am also 5’ 4”. The most I ever weighed was about 145 and I was a size 8. Is that really considered overweight?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:56 am
Once upon a time they said cm height - 10 like 1m70 must weight 60 kilos.
Then they said bmi 20-25, then 19- 26, then blah blah.
Some atheletes are "obese" but thin... because muscle.

Nowaday they really, really are reconsidering "all this" and seem to go more and more by how healthy you are.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:22 pm
I am 5'4" and am currently 130 lbs. I look very thin though. People think I am 100lbs. I don't know how it makes sense. So I say if you are 145 that sounds normal.

ces

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
I am 5'4" and am currently 130 lbs. I look very thin though. People think I am 100lbs. I don't know how it makes sense. So I say if you are 145 that sounds normal.

Whereas I am 5'4" and 133# and I still look pregnant. I also have a really hard time finding clothing that is flattering and slenderizing on me

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

I am 126-128 pounds and 5’4” and people also think I weigh between 110-115. When I was was 110, people thought I was 100. Everyone is different.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:39 pm
I think BMI and number on scale are given too much importance. Body builders and athletes will come up as "obese" when they actually look great and are in amazing shape. Go by the mirror. If you like what you see, don't let a number convince you otherwise.

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 2:24 pm
I'm 5"4 and my body likes to stop at 141 lbs. If I diet, I can get it down to 130 but as soon as I stop watching what I eat, I go right back up to 141.
I wonder if I would get down to 125, if it would stay that way.

I am not petite, but I have narrow shoulders and I weighed about 115 until I had kids.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 2:49 pm
ces wrote:
Whereas I am 5'4" and 133# and I still look pregnant. I also have a really hard time finding clothing that is flattering and slenderizing on me

I have the same problem only since having my kids bec all my extra is in my lower stomach and inner thighs. I am struggling even though I dont consider myself "fat" but everyone around me does and "lets me know".

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:12 pm
A small pc of muscle. And larger fluffy pc of fat can weigh the same much.
So ignore the lbs. It has a lot to do with how fit you are.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:16 pm
[img]C:\fakepath\20181008_221404.png[/img]
Same weight yet different proportion/makeup

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:46 pm
It’s so interesting how everyone looks different . I’m five five and around there and everyone always tells me how slim I look .

MrsDash

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:42 pm
There’s no way for anyone here to provide an accurate answer to your weight question.

Just know, the BMI is a very BASIC calculation for what’s considered “healthy.”

I’ve been working at a gym for over 3 years now, and can tell you that it’s nearly impossible to guess someone’s weight, or health based on their height and gender. I practically weigh people almost every day, and the inconsistencies between their weight and height is astounding to say the least.

Let’s just say I’m on the cusp of what BMI considers “overweight” but my dress size suggests otherwise!

BMI is all we have right now. (You could get your body fat checked with the calipers, which I find a lot more accurate than the BMI calculator.)

ETA- fat distribution is a major factor as well!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:59 pm
I'm 5.4 1/2 & I weigh 185 so how obese am I considered? As a teen I weighed bw 113-127 with sane height

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’m finding this conversation interesting because I am also 5’ 4”. The most I ever weighed was about 145 and I was a size 8. Is that really considered overweight?

According to the BMI chart, yes. But many dietitians, nutritionists, and doctors, use BMI in conjunction with other methods of measurement such as waist-to-hip ratio.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise