Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is 20Mbps internet speed enough for me?
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:19 pm
Anyone has this speed and can tell me how it works for them?
I received an offer in the mail from Optimum for internet service -20Mbps for $19.99 / month.

It's just me and dh. We have an iPad and an iPhone.
We don't do constant streaming but we do watch an occasional movie plus you tube videos.
Currently we use the data that's on the plan but it doesn't have good service in our area so we are considering this only because of the great price.

Would this be sufficient for us? Or is it way too little.. and a waste of money?

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:33 pm
That should be fine for the usage you're describing. Once you're in, they'll try to upsell you to go for 50 Mbps for only another $5 or $10/month, but you don't really need it. Just check the fine print to see how long that initial offer lasts for, and how much it will go up to at the end of the promotional period.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 2:51 pm
doctorima wrote:
That should be fine for the usage you're describing. Once you're in, they'll try to upsell you to go for 50 Mbps for only another $5 or $10/month, but you don't really need it. Just check the fine print to see how long that initial offer lasts for, and how much it will go up to at the end of the promotional period.

Thanks. I called them yesterday and the guy was telling me that this speed is basically for seniors who don't use much internet. I told him the that the offer is misleading because it says "fast and reliable internet" so he got upset and told me that he's telling me the truth he doesn't want me to come complaining when it's not good...yadyada..
I took him seriously but yeah makes sense that he was just trying to upsell me..that's their job🙃

Thanks for the answer.. Would love to still hear from any I as who have this speed.

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 2:54 pm
Was this promotion for new members only?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:23 pm
Recently put in an optimum line with this plan so I am glad to help!
The internet is not slow at all!! In my opinion it is not worth paying a dollar more.
The only issue I have is that I put it in the front of my house and it doesnt reach all the way to the back.

Also they charge a monthly fee of $10 to rent a modem. Buy yourself one, they are about for $60 .

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
Recently put in an optimum line with this plan so I am glad to help!
The internet is not slow at all!! In my opinion it is not worth paying a dollar more.
The only issue I have is that I put it in the front of my house and it doesnt reach all the way to the back.

Also they charge a monthly fee of $10 to rent a modem. Buy yourself one, they are about for $60 .

Thanks! How many devices are you using it for? Also what's the total after taxes?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:28 pm
runninglate wrote:
Was this promotion for new members only?

I believe that yes. They aren't looking to lose out $$ from current customers😏

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! How many devices are you using it for? Also what's the total after taxes?

For the code you could use as many as you need but for the password to stay on it goes up to 5 devices on the account

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:34 pm
I have 15 mbps download speed. never been an issue. we stream netflix.

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:50 pm
Yes, they also told me it's too slow - that's their job! This offer is only for new members, but anybody can downgrade to even slower - 10 Mbps for $24.95 a month - see here: https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:07 pm
Where do you see that? The cheapest plan I see is 59.95

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:31 pm
When you go to that link, click on "Optimum Online" (instead of "Optimum TV") and it should be the cheapest plan listed.

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:39 pm
thanks!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:17 am
doctorima wrote:
Yes, they also told me it's too slow - that's their job! This offer is only for new members, but anybody can downgrade to even slower - 10 Mbps for $24.95 a month - see here: https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages

well, it's weird, not always the best way to do bussiness.. I did not want to pay a higher price and I was firm about it.. so if he's telling me it's not gonna work for me, then goodbye Charlie.

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
well, it's weird, not always the best way to do bussiness.. I did not want to pay a higher price and I was firm about it.. so if he's telling me it's not gonna work for me, then goodbye Charlie.

There isn't competition with internet providers, you wouldn't have that many other options.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:20 am
rgr wrote:
There isn't competition with internet providers, you wouldn't have that many other options.

Right. I don't need internet service now.. this deal came up so I figured if it's a good deal I'll get it, and it will be very useful for me. But for a higher price it's something that I'll live without for now.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:07 pm
As I told you above, I think you'll be happy with this speed, and if you're ready to spend the $ to get Internet, I'd go ahead and try it out and don't let them ruin it for you in their attempt to upsell. Just find out how long the promo pricing period lasts, and ask about additional modem rental costs as well (which can be avoided by buying your own).

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:31 pm
doctorima wrote:
As I told you above, I think you'll be happy with this speed, and if you're ready to spend the $ to get Internet, I'd go ahead and try it out and don't let them ruin it for you in their attempt to upsell. Just find out how long the promo pricing period lasts, and ask about additional modem rental costs as well (which can be avoided by buying your own).

Yes, I probably will get since you and other Imas are doing good with this speed. I was just trying to say that sometimes attempts at upselling can backfire.

About the modem- where would I get that? And does it work as well as what Optimum gives you? Will they tell you when you have service problems that it's not their modem and therefore not their responsibility to fix?

And do I need more then one modem?

The promo period lasts for one year.

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I probably will get since you and other Imas are doing good with this speed. I was just trying to say that sometimes attempts at upselling can backfire.

About the modem- where would I get that? And does it work as well as what Optimum gives you? Will they tell you when you have service problems that it's not their modem and therefore not their responsibility to fix?

And do I need more then one modem?

The promo period lasts for one year.

I believe there is also a one time set up fee for about $75.
When I canceled after I didn't need service anymore the agent was extremely tough in the way he tried to get me to stay on as a customer.
If you cancel and restart supposedly you need to pay that installation fee again

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:36 pm
You can order the modem from Amazon or Ebay. We got one made by Arris for about $50-$60 that works great, one-time charge, simple installation, no issues, and no hassle with Optimum. See here for some options: https://compatiblemodems.com/optimum/

You can also ask about getting the installation fee waived, which they'll sometimes do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics