Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is 20Mbps internet speed enough for me?
Previous  1  2

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:45 pm
doctorima wrote:
You can order the modem from Amazon or Ebay. We got one made by Arris for about $50-$60 that works great, one-time charge, simple installation, no issues, and no hassle with Optimum. See here for some options: https://compatiblemodems.com/optimum/

You can also ask about getting the installation fee waived, which they'll sometimes do.

Thanks for the link. Would you mind posting the link to the one you bought?
Also are you saying that if I buy my own modem optimum doesn't have to come install it?
Thanks so much for your help.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:11 pm
The model we bought and have been quite happy with is Arris SURFboard SB6183, which DH found on the recommended list at the time. I think you still need them to come install the cable wires into your house if you've never had service before. The modem alone without a cable to connect to is useless.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:16 am
doctorima wrote:
The model we bought and have been quite happy with is Arris SURFboard SB6183, which DH found on the recommended list at the time. I think you still need them to come install the cable wires into your house if you've never had service before. The modem alone without a cable to connect to is useless.

Thanks so much for all your advice.
I looked up this model and found it on Ebay for $50.
Another question- do I need to buy a router too?
Also about waiving the installation fee- how would I ask that..?

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:13 am
I believe they give you the router for free, on the condition that you return it to them if you cancel service, though you should verify this when you call to sign up.

At that time, you should ask if they can waive the installation fee. Tell them you're on the fence if you want to give them a trial, and while the promo offer is appealing, the install fee is making it too expensive to give them a shot, and see if they can waive it to bring you on board. They may say no (in which case you can ask for a manager if you want to push it further), but you have nothing to lose.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics