Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israel in the winter

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 4:41 pm
Found cheap airline tickets to israel for winter break. Wondering if it’s worth it to go for a family vacation then or too risky with the weather? Are attractions like Eretz Bereshit open year round? The zoo? Digs. Can we go in the Dead Sea?

Thanks for any feedback

pesek zman

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:14 pm
I went in february to Jerusalem and tel aviv. Tel aviv was lovely (sunny and pleasant) by Jerusalem was awful! Freezing cold (and I wore boots, a down jacket and wool sweaters) and wet. Cold down to your bones. We went for a simcha but Otherwise wouldn't have gone that time of year

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:37 pm
You never know how the weather will be in Yerushalayim. Some years we have really warm winters with almost no bad weather. That's when we daven extra hard for rain. Wink
If this is your only chance of coming, then come. There are always things to do here - just bring rain boots.

Juicy

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:31 pm
I was there December- January. The weather in Yerushalayim was glorious, 70- 75 till about 4 pm and a cooler in the evenings. Dead sea and meron were both hot then. We did have one very rainy day but we spent it indoors at museums. Go for it...

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:52 am
I think a lot of people would prefer cool weather to boiling hot weather for touring.

I went once in Dec/Jan and it was beautiful weather, hardly needed a coat. Some years Jerusalem gets snow but that is not always the case.

You never know.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:15 am
Dead Sea should be fine during the winter, it might not be great for swimming, but hiking and touring should be fine most days in the winter.
Yerushalayim, as people said could be hit or miss. It can be cold windy and rainy (or the slight chance of snow) or cool and dry. I guess it also depends where in the world you are coming from. However there is tons of stuff you can do indoors or just wearing a coat. The Kotel tunnels for instance, museum, the zoo is open year round obviously. The city does shut down at a slight hint of snow though, but being in Yerushalayim on a snow day is always special. It's like a national holiday here (but probably a nightmare for tourists).
Tel Aviv has a midler winter but it can be very rainy and chilly, depends on the day.
You can always just change your plans and spend time down south (Eilat for instance) if you encounter unusually cold weather.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics