Home

Lots of Monsey advice needed
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:37 am
It looks like this move is really happening, G-d willing. It is really hard for me to imagine living somewhere else at the moment but hopefully this move is what Hashem has in store for us.

Monsey imamothers, please advise me on the following:

Where do you buy linens?
Where do you buy appliances?
Where do you buy mattresses?
Where do you buy bookcases?
Which store has the best produce prices?
How do you arrange grocery delivery?
Where do you buy light fixtures?
What about other furniture such as sofas?
Is the Monsey swim school pool crowded at open swim times?
Where can I take the Monsey grandchildren for swimming lessons (just trying to help out)?
What about other pre-school type dance classes or tumbling?
What about a Molly Maids type crew to clean out from the old tenants who are extremely clean people to begin with?
We may buy some of their furniture from them if that would come out cheaper.

My Monsey children had their approach when they moved in but didn't need all of these things.
Back to top

mandr









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:50 am
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like this move is really happening, G-d willing. It is really hard for me to imagine living somewhere else at the moment but hopefully this move is what Hashem has in store for us.

Monsey imamothers, please advise me on the following:

Where do you buy linens?
Where do you buy appliances?
Where do you buy mattresses?
Where do you buy bookcases?
Which store has the best produce prices?
How do you arrange grocery delivery?
Where do you buy light fixtures?
What about other furniture such as sofas?
Is the Monsey swim school pool crowded at open swim times?
Where can I take the Monsey grandchildren for swimming lessons (just trying to help out)?
What about other pre-school type dance classes or tumbling?
What about a Molly Maids type crew to clean out from the old tenants who are extremely clean people to begin with?
We may buy some of their furniture from them if that would come out cheaper.

My Monsey children had their approach when they moved in but didn't need all of these things.


Just answering what I can:

Linens from Linen Garden on 10 Albert Drive
Appliances from Auction Mart
Mattresses from Little Price in New Square (but that was a long time ago so not sure if they still sell)
Bookcases from ikea
Best produce and cheapest is not the same lol. Best produce is at evergreen or Rockland kosher. Cheapest is maybe All Fresh.
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:56 am
Are you going to have to change your screen name Wink?

hatzlocha with the move
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:56 am
mandr wrote:
Just answering what I can:

Linens from Linen Garden on 10 Albert Drive
Appliances from Auction Mart
Mattresses from Little Price in New Square (but that was a long time ago so not sure if they still sell)
Bookcases from ikea
Best produce and cheapest is not the same lol. Best produce is at evergreen or Rockland kosher. Cheapest is maybe All Fresh.


Thanks!
Back to top

thunderstorm









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:00 am
Linens- IKEA in Paramus NJ or Target in Spring Valley. I've ordered from Dainty Linen as well, but not worth the money I spent.
Grocery Orders- all groceries allow you to email in orders and they put it together and deliver for a fee.
Beds- Sleeptight Bedding by the Atrium
Appliances- Auction Mart/Kitchen Tradition. Make sure when they say warranty included that they carry through. They weren't honest and never took care of the warranty as per my invoice.
Light Fixtures- Lowes right near Target
Spotless Cleaning- but it may be cheaper to just hire a cleaning woman for a day
Don't know about swimming. There are hours in the evening as well at RCC.
Back to top

naturalmom5









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:02 am
You can order direct from their website...

https://www.shopevergreenkosher.com/

For sure not the cheapest, but largest variety very nice stuff
Back to top

amother




Puce


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:07 am
Linen- Jewish Mimi’s by Rockland kosher. Personally I do ikea/ west elm but go to her for all 48 inch things.

Beds- Dina beds (845) 426-7373. Great quality at close out prices. Delivers that week. Can get a shade box spring so it’s pretty.

Bookcases- we did Ikea

Grocery- all fresh is cheap and smaller so quick to go through. Always fresh cuz lots of turnover. Rockland or evergreen are fun outings and have more diverse selection. Depending where u live there maybe a smaller closer place also. Ever place will ask for ur number and start an account and deliver no problem. They all also offer phone/ fax delivery and Rockland has online also

Last I checked monsey swim school pool is not too crowded but I think there maybe someone who does swim classes in life plex as well.
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:11 am
We're so excited to have you close by!!! I'd love to meet you!

Linens, I was very impressed with the service of Dainty Linen on Morris Road.

Appliances - Auction Mart (send regards to Miriam Kizelnik Wink )

Mattresses - Sleeprite in the Atrium shopping center

Bookcases - you can go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Ikea. If you want to buy a more balabatish seforim shank at a place where they will set it up for you, you'll need a Jewish furniture store. I can't recommend any specific one because I haven't used any in a while.

Best produce prices is All Fresh. Best quality is Rockland. There's something with Monseyites and the stores they shop in. It's a whole drama. You'll see when you get here. People have love and hate relationships with specific supermarkets. You'll try them all out and see which suits your personality best. And I'm NOT being sarcastic here.

Home delivery gets arranged at the customer service desk of the supermarket. You give them your name and address and phone number and then when you shop, you tell them you want the order delivered. Alternatively, you can call in, fax or email an order and have it all assmebled and delivered to your door.

Light fixtures we bought in Home Depot

I haven't bought a sofa in awhile, though I do need one soon. There have been two-three new heimish furniture stores in Monsey, such as Furniture Gallery, Silver Leaf, and one more. I don't know anything about them, but I would call them and get prices before going down to choose a specific couch. There is one established (not new) store I would tell you to stay away from, but I won't post the name here.

Monsey swim school pool is the one at RCC. When I was there last, it wasn't crowded except sunday when it was very full with girls. These days I enjoy Lifeplex's pool.

For dance classes, you can check out the COmmunity connections. I know people who are happy with ConfiDance.

Cleaning crews there are also a dime a dozen. I used Cleaning Depot and they were fine.

If you're looking to buy furniture cheaply, you might want to check out Kupas Ezra secondhand furniture or BH (are they still open?). There are also yard sales in NJ nearby. And plenty of people advertise in the Monsey View willing to sell used furniture for good prices.

Hatzlacha!
Back to top

little neshamala









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:23 am
OP grocery wise Evergreen has the biggest selection of items, and they also have a lot of items go on sale. I have often seen meat and chicken specials for the same sale price that all fresh (known for being the cheapest) has.

Sofas-you can check Raymour and Flannigan on rt 59-theres the regular store, and right next door they have their "clearance" store of marked down items. You can find a real deal over there.

Monsey swim school at RCC isnt usually crowded.
Back to top

little neshamala









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:26 am
Also if you want you can go to thecommunityconnections.com and view their latest issue online. Its one of monseys larger (if not largest) circulars and you can look through the ads for answers to your questions
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:10 am
little neshamala wrote:
Also if you want you can go to thecommunityconnections.com and view their latest issue online. Its one of monseys larger (if not largest) circulars and you can look through the ads for answers to your questions


I have been going online with community connections and Monsey View
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:12 am
Thanks guys for all your great advice!
Back to top

amother




Firebrick


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
Are you going to have to change your screen name Wink?

hatzlocha with the move


Considering she lives in Detroit, which is either North or Midwest depending on who you ask, I can’t imagine she would.
Back to top

ShishKabob









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:45 am
Welcome to Monsey! Smile

The community connections should cover all grounds regarding where to buy stuff.
Good luck with your move.

Please prepare yourself for a major change and a culture shock.
It's like moving to Israel when you've only been there for a visit and didn't get the feel what it actually feels like to live there.

Please don't take it the wrong way. Just, many people come to Monsey with a certain picture in their mind and then they get very disappointed. So, just expect mega adjustments, that's all.
Wishing you lots of healthy, peaceful, successful years ahead of you no matter where you are.
From a longtime Monsey resident that still remembers Kleins pizza shop on Main st and other obsolete landmarks.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:34 pm
I like Mimi's Linen. They have a nice selection of $89-99 sets. I have for my kids and guests amd they've held up nicely. For myself I get the pricier sets.

I'm surprised no one said to buy from Town appliance. It's in NJ so you wouldn't pay tax and the customer service is great they really know their stuff.

Mattresses I have from mattress maven in Lakewood.

Bookcases I have from staples. I like them better than IKEA
https://www.staples.com/sauder.....uct_482969

Supermarkets you should try each one to see what you like best. I have not had good experiences with delivery for produce they don't take the time to pick out the freshest. I prefer to shop in store and have them deliver what I picked so I don't have to shlep the bags.
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
Considering she lives in Detroit, which is either North or Midwest depending on who you ask, I can’t imagine she would.




I was brought up in the south.
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:22 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Welcome to Monsey! Smile

The community connections should cover all grounds regarding where to buy stuff.
Good luck with your move.

Please prepare yourself for a major change and a culture shock.
It's like moving to Israel when you've only been there for a visit and didn't get the feel what it actually feels like to live there.

Please don't take it the wrong way. Just, many people come to Monsey with a certain picture in their mind and then they get very disappointed. So, just expect mega adjustments, that's all.
Wishing you lots of healthy, peaceful, successful years ahead of you no matter where you are.
From a longtime Monsey resident that still remembers Kleins pizza shop on Main st and other obsolete landmarks.


My son and his wife and kids live there so I spend a lot of time there already. The main culture shock is the traffic but I see that there are many different groups of yidden and I also see where neighbors may be each of a different group and it seems to be okay. I imagine that there are times when it is not okay. I like the Judaica section at Finklestein Memorial Library. It looks like there are loads of organizations and worthy causes there. Small towns depend on lots of individual participation but large communities usually means being more anonymous. Did I get the culture shock right? I also don't speak much Yiddish.
Back to top

ShishKabob









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:27 pm
You sound pretty much ok. Smile I guess it's more of a culture shock when you come from the city to Monsey. But coming from the South it's not THAT much, but still is.
The thing is, Monsey is not out of town anymore and it's definitely not the city either. So you get a really interesting mixture.
The part of being more anonymous is definitely a factor.
Finkelstein is a great source for Judaica, you got that part real fast! Smile
You sound like a well rounded person that'll acclimate wherever you are!
Good for you and lot's of success!
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My son and his wife and kids live there so I spend a lot of time there already. The main culture shock is the traffic but I see that there are many different groups of yidden and I also see where neighbors may be each of a different group and it seems to be okay. I imagine that there are times when it is not okay. I like the Judaica section at Finklestein Memorial Library. It looks like there are loads of organizations and worthy causes there. Small towns depend on lots of individual participation but large communities usually means being more anonymous. Did I get the culture shock right? I also don't speak much Yiddish.


I dont speak a word of yiddish and have lived in monsey all my life. You wont feel it unless you happen to be living in a chassidish neighborhood
Back to top

southernbubby









  


Post  Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
I dont speak a word of yiddish and have lived in monsey all my life. You wont feel it unless you happen to be living in a chassidish neighborhood



well, it is in Spring Valley
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] Monsey View vs. Community Connections vs. Front Page
by amother
14 Yesterday at 11:46 pm View last post
Urgent Tehilim needed for young man in very critical conditi
by chaj
0 Yesterday at 3:57 pm View last post
by chaj
Urgent tehillim needed 91 Yesterday at 9:02 am View last post
Women's clothing Gemachs in Monsey?
by artsy
0 Sun, Dec 09 2018, 10:26 am View last post
Where to buy fabric in Monsey? 4 Sat, Dec 08 2018, 9:33 pm View last post

Jump to:  







Report offensive ad