Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lots of Monsey advice needed
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:33 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
You sound pretty much ok. Smile I guess it's more of a culture shock when you come from the city to Monsey. But coming from the South it's not THAT much, but still is.
The thing is, Monsey is not out of town anymore and it's definitely not the city either. So you get a really interesting mixture.
The part of being more anonymous is definitely a factor.
Finkelstein is a great source for Judaica, you got that part real fast! Smile
You sound like a well rounded person that'll acclimate wherever you are!
Good for you and lot's of success!

Thanks! and Thanks to everyone for this advice. I have sent it to my husband so that we can keep track of the suggestions.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:37 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Welcome to Monsey! Smile

From a longtime Monsey resident that still remembers Kleins pizza shop on Main st and other obsolete landmarks.

That was new. I still remember when pizza came in a pizza shop truck.

For linen, Mrs. Stern on Albert Drive has a gorgeous selection.
Bedroom furniture, mattresses - Dina Hain.

alef12

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:37 pm
[quote="southernbubby"...I also don't speak much Yiddish.[/quote]

I grew up in Monsey and live here now and I don't speak ANY Yiddish. The only time it presents a problem is when I can't communicate with the Tzedaka collectors LOL

Where in Monsey are you moving? The different areas can be VERY different. For example, I live in Wesley Hills. It's almost country-like in my yard. I have a big garden, chickens and bunnies and honeybee hives. Everyone says "Good Shabbos" to each other on Shabbos and some of the biggest complaints on my neighborhood WhatsApp are about the antics of the local wildlife (geese, bears, deer, skunks , groundhogs... )

There are areas only a few minutes drive away that are like the city, with tons of traffic and everyone living on top of each other.
Monsey isn't really one "community" but different areas can have "community"

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
That was new. I still remember when pizza came in a pizza shop truck.

For linen, Mrs. Stern on Albert Drive has a gorgeous selection.
Bedroom furniture, mattresses - Dina Hain.

ok, me too, The old Mr. Klein would come with that silver top on the pizza truck and the neighborhood would smell heavenly, and he would serve from that open window. yeah yeah, I didn't want to give away my total age Smile

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:41 pm
OP, keep in mind that I'm the tall lady , usually running into Finkelstien library a few hours before Shabbos to select books for my kids. If you see a lady just tossing the books from the frum books section into my bags, looking like I'm in a hurry, without kids in tow, at a crazy hour before Shabbos, make sure to say "Hi, Thunderstorm" 😀

little neshamala

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:49 pm
[/quote] I grew up in Monsey and live here now and I don't speak ANY Yiddish. The only time it presents a problem is when I can't communicate with the Tzedaka collectors LOL

Where in Monsey are you moving? The different areas can be VERY different. For example, I live in Wesley Hills. It's almost country-like in my yard. I have a big garden, chickens and bunnies and honeybee hives. Everyone says "Good Shabbos" to each other on Shabbos and some of the biggest complaints on my neighborhood WhatsApp are about the antics of the local wildlife (geese, bears, deer, skunks , groundhogs... )

There are areas only a few minutes drive away that are like the city, with tons of traffic and everyone living on top of each other.
Monsey isn't really one "community" but different areas can have "community"[/quote]

Yeah, this

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:52 pm
alef12 wrote:
[quote="southernbubby"...I also don't speak much Yiddish.

I grew up in Monsey and live here now and I don't speak ANY Yiddish. The only time it presents a problem is when I can't communicate with the Tzedaka collectors LOL

Monsey isn't really one "community" but different areas can have "community"[/quote]

Spring Valley. I don't want to say the exact street until we sign the papers with the landlord but it is near Nitra, Krula, and a few others.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:55 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, keep in mind that I'm the tall lady , usually running into Finkelstien library a few hours before Shabbos to select books for my kids. If you see a lady just tossing the books from the frum books section into my bags, looking like I'm in a hurry, without kids in tow, at a crazy hour before Shabbos, make sure to say "Hi, Thunderstorm" 😀

Well if you ever want to meet in that cute park in Nyack by the Hudson river, I can bring my grandchildren. There is a splash pad in the summer.

I am not sure if I will go to Finklestein on Friday but recently they were giving out free Jewish Presses so I will have to see how my Friday's go.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:56 pm
Oh I was going to warn you about bears but I don't think think they frequent spring valley so often.
Sounds like you will be in a chassidish area. You'll teach us all yiddish soon

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 2:00 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Oh I was going to warn you about bears but I don't think think they frequent spring valley so often.
Sounds like you will be in a chassidish area. You'll teach us all yiddish soon

And there's a nice amount of traffic there too. But I'm assuming you have been there when visiting your kids that you know all this already. Hatzlacha grocery is probably the most convenient for you but they are not cheap.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 2:13 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
And there's a nice amount of traffic there too. But I'm assuming you have been there when visiting your kids that you know all this already. Hatzlacha grocery is probably the most convenient for you but they are not cheap.

I know because I have been there. I have never been to Redelicious which is open 24/6. Those hours appeal to me but what are the prices like?

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 2:18 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like this move is really happening, G-d willing. It is really hard for me to imagine living somewhere else at the moment but hopefully this move is what Hashem has in store for us.

Monsey imamothers, please advise me on the following:

Where do you buy linens?
Where do you buy appliances?
Where do you buy mattresses?
Where do you buy bookcases?
Which store has the best produce prices?
How do you arrange grocery delivery?
Where do you buy light fixtures?
What about other furniture such as sofas?
Is the Monsey swim school pool crowded at open swim times?
Where can I take the Monsey grandchildren for swimming lessons (just trying to help out)?
What about other pre-school type dance classes or tumbling?
What about a Molly Maids type crew to clean out from the old tenants who are extremely clean people to begin with?
We may buy some of their furniture from them if that would come out cheaper.

My Monsey children had their approach when they moved in but didn't need all of these things.

Fancy linens for our bedroom are bought from Dainty Linen. Very inexpensive linens with high thead count are bought in Macys close out department.

Appliances are only from Town. Best price and amazing customer service.

Mattresses are bought online. Jewish stores can't come close to what we paid.

Bookcases are custom by a very inexpensive man who does shuls. I welcome you to see them. If you like, I can give you his info. It came out cheaper than store bought by far.

Best produce prices is not in Jewish stores. I go to Montvale for quality and freshness. I only buy produce from Jewish stores on Wed Firer convenience. They "get their load in" once a weej I was told by managers of two stores. Best prices for CY milk, eggs, meat, etc. is All Fresh.

You may want to rethink food delivery if you are picky.

I buy sofas online (black Friday) and on 17. Many go to Costco for leather sofas.

Some really cute fun activities (free and low cost) around. It makes me want grandchildren.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 3:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
Fancy linens for our bedroom are bought from Dainty Linen. Very inexpensive linens with high thead count are bought in Macys close out department.

Appliances are only from Town. Best price and amazing customer service.

Mattresses are bought online. Jewish stores can't come close to what we paid.

Bookcases are custom by a very inexpensive man who does shuls. I welcome you to see them. If you like, I can give you his info. It came out cheaper than store bought by far.

Best produce prices is not in Jewish stores. I go to Montvale for quality and freshness. I only buy produce from Jewish stores on Wed Firer convenience. They "get their load in" once a weej I was told by managers of two stores. Best prices for CY milk, eggs, meat, etc. is All Fresh.

You may want to rethink food delivery if you are picky.

I buy sofas online (black Friday) and on 17. Many go to Costco for leather sofas.

Some really cute fun activities (free and low cost) around. It makes me want grandchildren.

I saw several ads for the custom bookcases but they start at $400 each for 36'by 84'.

We did go to Billy Beez, Demerest Farms, Laurance Farms, and got free admission from the library to a children's museum in Poughkeepsie.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 3:39 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
ok, me too, The old Mr. Klein would come with that silver top on the pizza truck and the neighborhood would smell heavenly, and he would serve from that open window. yeah yeah, I didn't want to give away my total age Smile

Smile

momX4

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 4:35 pm
Welcome to Monsey.

I signed my DD up for Sunday fun school http://gsssignup.com

Finkelstein Library has mommy (or Bubby) and me programs for free. They have loads of Jewish books as well.

All grocery stores deliver. You can shop and they will shlep.

Community connections is a great source for sales for various things.

Palisades Mall is really close.

Use Waze to get around. All streets have names.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:10 pm
when are we doing an imamother monsey meet-up?

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I saw several ads for the custom bookcases but they start at $400 each for 36'by 84'.

We did go to Billy Beez, Demerest Farms, Laurance Farms, and got free admission from the library to a children's museum in Poughkeepsie.

You can get free admission in the library for a number of attractions.

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:34 pm
momX4 wrote:
Welcome to Monsey.

I signed my DD up for Sunday fun school http://gsssignup.com

Finkelstein Library has mommy (or Bubby) and me programs for free. They have loads of Jewish books as well.

All grocery stores deliver. You can shop and they will shlep.

Community connections is a great source for sales for various things.

Palisades Mall is really close.

Use Waze to get around. All streets have names.

Check delivery times and whether they have refrigerated trucks. I have gotten so much unusable food that despite the convenience, I pick out my groceries. All will load into your car.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:04 pm
I moved out of Monsey 14 years ago, lived there nearly all my life until then. My parents and in law's live there, so we visit often, and I save some shopping for Monsey trips.

I've gotten gorgeous linen at reasonable prices at the linen store above Rockland Kosher. I forgot what it's called.

Since when does Finkelstein have lots of Jewish books?? Not when I lived there!

And what was Klein's pizza?? Where was it? I'm 40; am I too young to remember it?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:17 pm
Squishy wrote:
You can get free admission in the library for a number of attractions.

This is one of monsey's best kept secrets.........
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating