Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Dairy Sheva Brachos Menu
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:05 pm
Good afternoon ladies!

In about two weeks I will be making sheva brachos for my little brother. I'll be cohosting with my sisters. My brother likes dairy food, so we'd like to make a dairy sheva brachos. Thats about as far as we've gotten with the planning.

There are alot of cooks in this proverbial kitchen, and settling on a menu is turning into a bit of a mess. My brother would like the party to be "very fancy," but has given no further guidance. None of us though are what you'd call "very fancy" people, and many ideas that are being tossed around are very expensive, very impracticle, very strange. We're in a pickle.

Have you made beautiful dairy sheva brachos? Please post your menu! I'm hoping ideas of conhesive menus will help us narrow things down a bit.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:19 pm
I have not made a dairy Sheva Brachos but I'm considering making my next son's Bar Mitzvah Seuda dairy , in a couple of months. These are just some dishes I was thinking about.

French onion soup(the one with a piece of toast and melted cheese on top)
Or Cream of Mushroom soup

Cheese blintzes with strawberry sauce

Maybe a cheese vegetable calzone type of dish

Eggplant Parmesan

Baked salmon for those that don't want eggplant Parmesan

Greek Salad (with feta cheese)

Dairy Caesar Salad

Some kind of pasta dish like Fettucinni Alfredo

Broccoli Sweet Potatoe Cheese Quiche

Mini sushi pies

Desserts : dairy ice cream, cheese cake, individual cheese Babkas

But I can't decide which of these to choose from and in what order to serve it. I was considering doing it buffet style but then it takes away from the "formal" feel.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

happymom123

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:45 pm
One thing to note, just because it's a dairy meal, doesn't mean everything needs to have dairy in it. Your sides and salads can all be parve and there are hundreds of fancy options for those. It can be very heavy to eat so much dairy in one meal

esther11

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:47 pm
I think a bit part of being fancy is how you set up the plate. You can elevate most basic dishes with a little more finesse and creativity. You can have cheese blintzes with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of strawberry sauce, and when plated nicely it will look classy. If you just put in middle of the table will look basic.

Fettuccini Alfredo served in an aluminum pan versus plated and sprinkled with herbs and cut up cherry tomatoes will look beautiful.

Same with teriyaki salmon: cut it into 1 inch cubes and stick on mini skewers/large toothpicks over a bed of angel hair pasta. Versus a piece of salmon on a plate.

Even pizza, make miniatures (I’m thinking like 2 inch diameter) and they will look cute/fancy as opposed to basic. Basically anything in mini or single serve is fancier: pizzas, quiches, kugels, desserts, etc.

Maybe once you have an idea of what to serve you can see if anyone has ideas of how to elevate it.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:56 pm
Penne a la vodka is really easy to make and yum. Use good Parmesan cheese (the real stuff from Italy) for best results.

Sample menu:

Cream of mushroom soup

Penne a la vodka

salmon, roast potatoes and salad.

dessert - I would do a dessert buffet. An ice cream bar would be fun. Cheesecake, tiramisu, etc.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:31 pm
Heavens to betsy! You guys make good food!

Thank you for all the ideas!

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I have not made a dairy Sheva Brachos but I'm considering making my next son's Bar Mitzvah Seuda dairy , in a couple of months. These are just some dishes I was thinking about.

French onion soup(the one with a piece of toast and melted cheese on top)
Or Cream of Mushroom soup

Cheese blintzes with strawberry sauce

Maybe a cheese vegetable calzone type of dish

Eggplant Parmesan

Baked salmon for those that don't want eggplant Parmesan

Greek Salad (with feta cheese)

Dairy Caesar Salad

Some kind of pasta dish like Fettucinni Alfredo

Broccoli Sweet Potatoe Cheese Quiche

Mini sushi pies

Desserts : dairy ice cream, cheese cake, individual cheese Babkas

But I can't decide which of these to choose from and in what order to serve it. I was considering doing it buffet style but then it takes away from the "formal" feel.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

so am I Cool

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:33 pm
esther11 wrote:
I think a bit part of being fancy is how you set up the plate. You can elevate most basic dishes with a little more finesse and creativity. You can have cheese blintzes with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of strawberry sauce, and when plated nicely it will look classy. If you just put in middle of the table will look basic.

Fettuccini Alfredo served in an aluminum pan versus plated and sprinkled with herbs and cut up cherry tomatoes will look beautiful.

Same with teriyaki salmon: cut it into 1 inch cubes and stick on mini skewers/large toothpicks over a bed of angel hair pasta. Versus a piece of salmon on a plate.

Even pizza, make miniatures (I’m thinking like 2 inch diameter) and they will look cute/fancy as opposed to basic. Basically anything in mini or single serve is fancier: pizzas, quiches, kugels, desserts, etc.

Maybe once you have an idea of what to serve you can see if anyone has ideas of how to elevate it.

This is very true.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:28 pm
OK guys, here is what I've got so far. I hope you'll help me narrow it down and fancy it up!:

App: Greek salad and creaser salad served family style. On each plate: Nachos with guacamole and salsa OR Mozzarella sticks and dipping sauce OR Falafel balls and humus with Israeli salad. Need to choose one!

Soup: French onion soup with cheesy croutons

Main: Probably serving main as a buffet. We probably need 3 mains and 3 sides for the amount of people who will be there: Fettuccini Alfrado, Penne vodka, mac and cheeses, Moroccan tilapia, some sort of salmon (need ideas!), mini pizzas, mini broccoli quiche, sweet potato fries, oniony potatoes and peppers

Desert: No idea. My brother loves chocolate chip pancakes with ice cream. Is that too much for desert?

I'm ready for critiques!

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:35 pm
DVOM wrote:
OK guys, here is what I've got so far. I hope you'll help me narrow it down and fancy it up!:

App: Greek salad and creaser salad served family style. On each plate: Nachos with guacamole and salsa OR Mozzarella sticks and dipping sauce OR Falafel balls and humus with Israeli salad. Need to choose one!

Main: Probably serving main as a buffet. We probably need 3 mains and 3 sides for the amount of people who will be there: Fettuccini Alfrado, Penne vodka, mac and cheeses, Moroccan tilapia, some sort of salmon (need ideas!), mini pizzas, mini broccoli quiche, sweet potato fries, oniony potatoes and peppers

Desert: No idea. My brother loves chocolate chip pancakes with ice cream. Is that too much for desert?

I'm ready for critiques!

Way too much food! Really unnecessary to have so much and I think takes away from the elegance. Are you serving bread? I have some ideas of how to simplify the menu.

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:13 pm
DVOM wrote:

I'm ready for critiques!

I would start with a plate of Caesar salad, baguettes with tapenade and herb butter, then salmon ( simple with lemon and herbs), mini pizzas, fettuccini Alfredo, and something green- zuchinni or green beans or brocolli- could also do sweet potatoes if you want, but not a must . For dessert- chocolate molten cakes with vanilla ice cream and berries or if you want something easier that doesn’t need to be cooked last minute then just do brownies or cookies or tiramisu instead of the molten cake.
Trader Joe’s sells the molten cakes in the freezer.

Pancakes for a crowd is too much work and I think they are only worth it fresh= not worth it.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:30 pm
I agree that it's too much. And I also like starting with a salad on everyone's plate with bread sticks or something.

Otherwise everyone will be full before the main dish and sides are served.

Then serve the soup
Then two options of mains and two sides are enough (a veggie side and a starchy side)
For dessert, if your brother loves chocolate pancakes and ice cream, maybe do the pancakes in a waffle maker and stack it with icecream and syrup for a pretty presentation .

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:24 pm
Salmon wellington is elegant and EASY! Roll out two slabs of defrosted puff pastry, brush on side with dijon mustard, lay slab of salmon (skin off). You can add ribbons of raw spinach or very well-drained defrosted and drained from frozen spinach) then cover with the other rolled out puff pastry. Then pinch the edges of the two slabs of puff pastry with the tines of a fork, and cut a few vents into the top puff pastry.

Very elegant and delicious, (and the easiest dish I know)!!

Edited to add: bake at 350 until golden brown.

Last edited by Frumwithallergies on Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

librarygirl

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 1:58 am
DVOM wrote:

I would reverse this: nice plated Greek salad, and you can put nachos and guacamole on table if you want. Don't do mozzarella sticks. As soon as they cool off, they're nowhere near as good.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:40 am
I'm going to disagree with everyone else. I like your menu. Its easy enough plating the first course but you will not enjoy the sheva brachos if you are spending it artfully arranging rice in beautiful shapes or sprinkling fresh parsley on pasta.

Although you probably don't need 2 types of fish and 3 types of pasta. I would do two pasta, one fish dish. Include some healthy diet friendly hot veg dish like roast veggies.

To start, garlic bread or foccacia is nice.

Chocomama

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:49 am
If you plate your starter salad, it makes the room look really nice and festive. I've seen plated Caesar salad with store-bought dressing squirted on in a squiggly line at so many simchas. I don't think you have to do mozzarella sticks or a hummus platter since your main is so robust.

For dessert, at a milchig sheva brachos, I've seen choc chip cookie ramekins (recipe in Susie Fishbein Teens and 20 somethings can search for it online) with a scoop of milchig ice cream on top. Easy to prepare in advance and stick in the oven right b4 dessert so its fresh.

FWIW:

My cousins sheva brachos was dairy and they like things fancy so they had paper goods and linens that were pretty but the food was easy to prepare and serve:
Plated salad
soup
salmon, cubed red potatoes, vegetables, maybe something else I forget
dessert

mazal tov Smile

DREAMING

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:17 pm
DVOM wrote:

I'm ready for critiques!

Mozzarella sticks are best served fresh and "hot". I think you don't need mac-n-cheese.

btdivorcedmom

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:22 pm
Dairy meal doesn't mean you need to have a lot of dairy. You can serve all parve with fish for a main course, if you wish. You can add some feta cheese to one of your salads, and/or have dairy blintzes . You can have dairy desserts such as ice cream and/or cheesecake, and fruit with real whip cream.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:24 pm
Chocomama wrote:
If you plate your starter salad, it makes the room look really nice and festive. I've seen plated Caesar salad with store-bought dressing squirted on in a squiggly line at so many simchas. I don't think you have to do mozzarella sticks or a hummus platter since your main is so robust.

For dessert, at a milchig sheva brachos, I've seen choc chip cookie ramekins (recipe in Susie Fishbein Teens and 20 somethings can search for it online) with a scoop of milchig ice cream on top. Easy to prepare in advance and stick in the oven right b4 dessert so its fresh.

FWIW:

My cousins sheva brachos was dairy and they like things fancy so they had paper goods and linens that were pretty but the food was easy to prepare and serve:
Plated salad
soup
salmon, cubed red potatoes, vegetables, maybe something else I forget
dessert

mazal tov Smile

I would do something similar to chocomama, with focus on the table set up and plating.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:05 pm
cheese blitnzes you can make fancier by cutting up on a slant & serving both halves upright. Same presentation you can do with wraps or spring rolls. You can do for app or dessert crepes folded three times to form uneven triangle wih berry & cream or choc syrup. Dessert plate can have some mini pastry at one side & glass stemmed mug with warm drink like cinnamon cappuccino with little marshmallows etc...or u place two cinnamon sticks on plate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics