Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Reputable Kosher Vitamin brand/ Functional Medicine

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:48 pm
I'm seeing a Functional Medicine Dr for my son with ADHD and other issues. Teading Dr Hyman's book "The Ultramind Solution", I know that a key part of the recommendations will be vitamins supplements. (He's already been taking ADHD meds and more for a while with varying success, I'm looking into other options right now.)

Supplements aren't really regulated and many aren't great and even outright lie. I know I won't be able to go by the brands the Dr will reecommend. There are quite a few kosher brands but I'm wondering if any are considered specifically good/bad.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:50 pm
Thorne and TwinLab are both excellent brands. You can check the kashrus of them on iHerb. The website always tells you if they have a heksher or not, and who does the supervision. It also lists possible allergens.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:01 pm
Shaklee is a reputable brand too. Most of their products have a hechsher.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:15 pm
Shaklee uses a ton of junky fillers in their stuff. I'm not impressed.

I don't think any of the frum brands are necessarily better than others. I would just look into each product on its own merit (fillers, etc). That being said, we do some functional med stuff, and many of the recommended things we need don't come in a clean frum version so I usually just go with it if it says vegan. Bioray and cardiovascular research make some excellent products that are kosher certified. NOW has some good stuff too.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Shaklee uses a ton of junky fillers in their stuff. I'm not impressed.

I don't think any of the frum brands are necessarily better than others. I would just look into each product on its own merit (fillers, etc). That being said, we do some functional med stuff, and many of the recommended things we need don't come in a clean frum version so I usually just go with it if it says vegan. Bioray and cardiovascular research make some excellent products that are kosher certified. NOW has some good stuff too.

Ty! That's what I'm afraid of from the frum brand's!

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Ty! That's what I'm afraid of from the frum brand's!
I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research! In any case, many of the frum versions are combos or multis and those are generally not recommended by functional medicine unless you try each component first and know that you do well on each one separately. Feel free to post on here what you're looking for and I can help you search. You can also ask your rav about non-kosher supplements and what the deal is. I've been able to find most of what we need in an acceptable vegan or even certified kosher form, even if not from a frum brand.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research! In any case, many of the frum versions are combos or multis and those are generally not recommended by functional medicine unless you try each component first and know that you do well on each one separately. Feel free to post on here what you're looking for and I can help you search. You can also ask your rav about non-kosher supplements and what the deal is. I've been able to find most of what we need in an acceptable vegan or even certified kosher form, even if not from a frum brand.

I dony know what he'll be recommended yet...I can imagine some possibilities are fish oil, magnesium, zinc, D, maybe B something or other! It could be some things will be recommended right away, but I assume others once the testing is done and results are in.

So the bottom line is that anything Vegan is ok? And if it's not Vegan and nothing comparable with a hechsher exists, I should ask a Rav?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
I dony know what he'll be recommended yet...I can imagine some possibilities are fish oil, magnesium, zinc, D, maybe B something or other! It could be some things will be recommended right away, but I assume others once the testing is done and results are in.

So the bottom line is that anything Vegan is ok? And if it's not Vegan and nothing comparable with a hechsher exists, I should ask a Rav?
We were told vegan is okay for us, you should probably ask your own rav for yourself. We do a lot of magnesium, I could not find a single one of the recommended forms from the frum brands but I did find one 2 with a hechsher. Recommended zinc I was able to find from solgar. I have no experience with vit D. B's you need to be careful with because of forms (methylated vs not), there's one methylated b complex from a frum brand that looked okay.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
We were told vegan is okay for us, you should probably ask your own rav for yourself. We do a lot of magnesium, I could not find a single one of the recommended forms from the frum brands but I did find one 2 with a hechsher. Recommended zinc I was able to find from solgar. I have no experience with vit D. B's you need to be careful with because of forms (methylated vs not), there's one methylated b complex from a frum brand that looked okay.

Can I ask which magnesiums you are using? Thanks!

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:19 pm
I give my son magnesium from a company called jigsaw Health. https://www.jigsawhealth.com/s.....esium

He takes zinc made from solgar and omega 3 from zahlers. B6 made him cookoo.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:24 pm
If your child can’t swallow pills bluebonnet makes a liquid mag that we were very happy with.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:35 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Can I ask which magnesiums you are using? Thanks!
Magnesium threonate from NOW and magnesium taurate from cardiovascular research

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:39 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I give my son magnesium from a company called jigsaw Health. https://www.jigsawhealth.com/s.....esium
This magnesium has a lot of other things in it. I would not give it unless I already made sure my child does well on methylated b's. This contains b6 too but a really small amount. The amount of magnesium malate in a full dose is a really large amount too, it's a lot of malic acid.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:42 pm
Sorry we get one that is B Free. I must have used the wrong link.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Sorry we get one that is B Free. I must have used the wrong link.
This one? https://www.jigsawhealth.com/s.....free/

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:52 pm
Yes! That’s it sorry. The B vitamins made him wacky. The adult dose is 4 pills a day my 8 year old who is a large kid takes one pill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)