Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Old Monsey Thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone remember the milk man delivering milk and bread every morning? Can't remember his name.

I think Mr. Ciffer (probably mispelled that) used to do it.

I remember when I was very young, my parents had this metal box with a hinged cover on our front steps. It doubled as a seat for us while we waited for the bus. That was the milk box, where he put your deliveries.

The Ciffers lived in this ancient house - it was really really old - on Albert Drive. You could see it from Main Street. It stood there for ages because it was a landmark of sorts. Don't know how but they got permission to tear it down and build a bunch of houses on the lot.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:13 pm
I’m only in Monsey for eight years, but I can remember a time when it took 8 minutes to drive from my house to Target, when now it takes 15-20 on a good day.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:19 pm
Chef-Ah.
And even before that, Bnei Akiva.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:37 pm
southernbubby wrote:
How do you go up, or down, if there is ice or snow?

You skid and slid and the cars always get stuck there during a snow storm.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
I think Mr. Ciffer (probably mispelled that) used to do it.

I remember when I was very young, my parents had this metal box with a hinged cover on our front steps. It doubled as a seat for us while we waited for the bus. That was the milk box, where he put your deliveries.

The Ciffers lived in this ancient house - it was really really old - on Albert Drive. You could see it from Main Street. It stood there for ages because it was a landmark of sorts. Don't know how but they got permission to tear it down and build a bunch of houses on the lot.

How many years ago was this? Because I remember around 16 years ago there was a guy Mr. Cinner who delivered milk, bread and juice but he stopped after about a year or so.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:40 pm
Maya wrote:
I’m only in Monsey for eight years, but I can remember a time when it took 8 minutes to drive from my house to Target, when now it takes 15-20 on a good day.

It looks like the traffic is not as bad around 10 a.m.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:42 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like the traffic is not as bad around 10 a.m.

Maybe it’s not bad, but it’s way worse than eight years ago. Very Happy

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:47 pm
Maya wrote:
Maybe it’s not bad, but it’s way worse than eight years ago. Very Happy

When I moved to Monsey it was a town known for "no honking".... not anymore!!!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:20 pm
I Remember the old Mrs. Frank doing longhand addition on a paper bag, Mr. Klein on a pizza truck, the Mr. Nagel was from Monsey Housewares not the grocery, I remember when Wesley plaza was Dutch Square, the nurses at Good Sam were nuns, the four corners were main and main and ysv was on both corners, the nursing home was maple leaf owned, the annoying fire bell ran every time there was a fire.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:25 pm
Once a week, I think on Wednesdays, we used to get fresh bread from Franks, straight from the oven, piping hot, not sliced. We would cut thick slices and cover them in butter. YUM!

I remember going to the old Mendlowitz meats, off 59. After he moved to higher up 59, that's where the first Amazing Savings opened.

As teenagers we would hang out in Pathmark or 711. There was also an entertainment place somewhere down Old Nyack Turnpike with skeeball and air hockey etc.

Once in a while we would play pool in Brothers Billiards.

Shopping was in the Nanuet Mall, or we went to Paramus, not on Sundays, or Secaucus. Then Woodbury Commons opened, about 1/10 of the size it is now.

As kids our shoes all came from Litzmans.

Did anyone else use Dr Levine? Do you remember him always yelling at Shirley?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:26 pm
Thanks Southernbubby for starting all this. I'm enjoying sharing the memories. And thanks to whoever started this thread.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
Southernbubby's thread about moving to Monsey (may your move be with much Hatzlacha!) has triggered some nostalgia in some of us old Monsey amothers.

I thought it would be fun to start an old Monsey thread for those of us who remember Monsey the way it once was....

..when there was a pizza truck that came around to sell pizza

...later became an old pizza shop...

..Van Ripers (if you went to BY) where you could get fresh strawberries and ices during lunch break, so long as the Rebbetzin was safely in her office

..Nagels - the grocery and the hardware store

..Monsey Glatt...the old store, where Shopper's Haven now stands....

and any other memories you wish to share, just for the fun of it.

I thought of putting this in the Social Scene, but anonymous posting was disabled there.

If you grew up in Monsey, or visited relatives there, and have memories to share, join the fun!

I thought the place where shoppers haven isn’t was a factory that manufactured outlet covers..

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:41 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Who remembers when Heshy's was the only pizza store (near the tracks)?

Mr. Nagel is still holding court...now appearing in Wesley Kosher.

I remember that pizza store owned by Heshy Gottesman.
Mr. Nagel used to be at wesley kosher but I have not seen him there in a long time.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:46 pm
Why do I think the pizza store at the tracks was called Oneg?

Remember 1 Stop Kosher?

I remember Shefa! It was in the Old Hatzlachah, or somewhere else? I didn't have a good sense of direction as a kid!

I remember Rickels, but didn't know it was a place of entertainment!

When I got my drivers license, I begged to go to Pathmark that evening - it was the only place open at night!

little neshamala

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Once a week, I think on Wednesdays, we used to get fresh bread from Franks, straight from the oven, piping hot, not sliced. We would cut thick slices and cover them in butter. YUM!

I remember going to the old Mendlowitz meats, off 59. After he moved to higher up 59, that's where the first Amazing Savings opened.

As teenagers we would hang out in Pathmark or 711. There was also an entertainment place somewhere down Old Nyack Turnpike with skeeball and air hockey etc.

Once in a while we would play pool in Brothers Billiards.

Shopping was in the Nanuet Mall, or we went to Paramus, not on Sundays, or Secaucus. Then Woodbury Commons opened, about 1/10 of the size it is now.

As kids our shoes all came from Litzmans.

Did anyone else use Dr Levine? Do you remember him always yelling at Shirley
?

Haaaaaaa ha ha yes! Went to him when I was a little girl

little neshamala

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:

Mr. Nagel used to be at wesley kosher but I have not seen him there in a long time.

I think I remember hearing recently that the old Mr Nagel from monsey housewares was niftar recently....I hope im wrong but I dont think I am

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:59 pm
Anyone remember Benyamin Falk and the Health Food store.. He seemed to know everything about vitamins and nutrition

alef12

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
I remember that pizza store owned by Heshy Gottesman.

He finally retired

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:20 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I think I remember hearing recently that the old Mr Nagel from monsey housewares was niftar recently....I hope im wrong but I dont think I am

They were 2 brothers. One owned a grocery store and currently works in Wesley kosher. His brother that owned the houseware store was niftar recently. His son is the current owner of Monsey housewares.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
They were 2 brothers. One owned a grocery store and currently works in Wesley kosher. His brother that owned the houseware store was niftar recently. His son is the current owner of Monsey housewares.

I didn't know that he was niftar. BDE
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics