Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Old Monsey Thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:13 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Why do I think the pizza store at the tracks was called Oneg?

It was Oneg for a while. It changed names at least once, probably more times.

Who remembers when we finally got a REAL restaurant in Monsey? I think it was called Cirque or something like that.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't know that he was niftar. BDE

He passed away recently.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
It was Oneg for a while. It changed names at least once, probably more times.

Who remembers when we finally got a REAL restaurant in Monsey? I think it was called Cirque or something like that.

European Home Food ...Sabel family wasn't a REAL restaurant ??

It was nicer and more b taamt then all the fancy shmantzy stuff today...

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:19 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

I thought they more of a catering business

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:20 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Haaaaaaa ha ha yes! Went to him when I was a little girl

We went to him for a lot of years. It didn't matter why you went, you always walked out with a prescription for "pink medicine" (amoxicillin). Also, after he examined you, you always had to wait in his office to discuss what was wrong. He wouldn't give a diagnosis in the exam room. He had those interesting suspension things on his desk that I loved to see.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:21 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

They didn't have a sit down restaurant, did they? But their food was delicious. Do you remember the sign they had "Never trust a skinny cook"?

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:47 pm
OMG I love this thread! I went to Dr. Levine to. He would look into my mouth (when I had strep, which was always as a kid) and say "That looks disgusting." Thanks a lot! They had a nurse Kathy who did the cultures much better than Shirley... The Norman Rockwell painting in the waiting room of a kid with his pants down getting a shot in his rear - that traumatized me! His "study" where he had this silver pendulum with two balls at the end... ANd he always prescribed "jewish penicillin" (aka chicken soup).

Remember when Main Street stores switched sides? Trading Post used to be on the west side of Main St. and now it's on the east. Monsey Housewares which was on the east moved to the west, before it moved again. I think. The Genuine Shop used to be on the top of Shoe Barn. Weingarten's was where Whoopi is now. The old Rockland Kosher location...

So many nostalgic stores that don't exist anymore: Eva's World of Fashion, Franks Bakery, One Stop Kosher, Monsey Kosher Plaza, Tov Tam Pizza, Saperstein's, Sweet Occasions, Sammy's Bagels, Avenue R (that wasn't too long ago), Eidensohn's, M&M Shoes, Neiman's Bakery, Meat Showcase, Your Home and Photo Center, Boscov's (and Sterns)

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:52 pm
mandr wrote:
OMG I love this thread! I went to Dr. Levine to. He would look into my mouth (when I had strep, which was always as a kid) and say "That looks disgusting." Thanks a lot! They had a nurse Kathy who did the cultures much better than Shirley... The Norman Rockwell painting in the waiting room of a kid with his pants down getting a shot in his rear - that traumatized me! His "study" where he had this silver pendulum with two balls at the end... ANd he always prescribed "jewish penicillin" (aka chicken soup).

Remember when Main Street stores switched sides? Trading Post used to be on the west side of Main St. and now it's on the east. Monsey Housewares which was on the east moved to the west, before it moved again. I think. The Genuine Shop used to be on the top of Shoe Barn. Weingarten's was where Whoopi is now. The old Rockland Kosher location...

So many nostalgic stores that don't exist anymore: Eva's World of Fashion, Franks Bakery, One Stop Kosher, Monsey Kosher Plaza, Tov Tam Pizza, Saperstein's, Sweet Occasions, Sammy's Bagels, Avenue R (that wasn't too long ago), Eidensohn's, M&M Shoes, Neiman's Bakery, Meat Showcase, Your Home and Photo Center, Boscov's (and Sterns)

Is Elsee still there on Main Street?

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Is Elsee still there on Main Street?

Yeah but that's a new store. It opened around 2005ish.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:58 pm
mandr wrote:

Trading Post closed.
Isn't your home and photo center still open(although they changed names?)

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:02 pm
Esties was on top of shoe barn.
Shimon mendlewitz was were tip top is now, then moved to where A&B fish store is, then he opened Monsey glatt.
Wesley kosher was grand union.
Auction mart was in the old bldg across shoppers haven. There's an optical store there now.
Dr Levine acted nuts, but was really kind. I saw that side of him when I was a passenger in a car accident.
I knew shmona prakim by heart, and some safa stories.
Genuine boutique was in her house on Edwin lane for years.
If nagels was out of milk, you would try Frank's bakery. Most of the time if one of them was out, they both were.
Rav Yaakov kaminetzky, ztl, lived here. That's why there were no sit down pizza places.
Omg, a guy took me on a date to Cyrk.
Mikey Montel had a bagel shop. Started where purple pear is, then moved to atrium.
Some other restaurants opened and closed, can't remember them all.

Hey, this is fun, skipping down memory lane.

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:05 pm
The Nanuet mall had bambergers, now Macy's. Behind the mall there was a bambergers outlet. We waisted so much time and money there buying skirts or tops that would never match anything!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:06 pm
Kosher Town where the take out place is now next to stolin shul. Next to One stop the baby clothing store. I cant remember the name. Nation wholesale liquidators. Better walking shoes /Felberbaums was on Rita in the back of a house

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:07 pm
mandr wrote:
Yeah but that's a new store. It opened around 2005ish.

Elzee is closed and empty. So is trading post.
Your home and photo is closed too. Value cleaners uses that space.

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
Kosher Town where the take out place is now next to stolin shul. Next to One stop the baby clothing store. I cant remember the name. Nation wholesale liquidators. Better walking shoes /Felberbaums was on Rita in the back of a house

Loved National Wholesale Liquidators. Also Shopwise and SaveRite

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:14 pm
mandr wrote:

Your Home and Photo downsized and is now open in their home doing only engravings and Miele vacuum cleaner service.
Eidenshon's is not past tense yet, but will soon be.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:14 pm
Loved National Wholesale Liquidators, that's where I got my china when I got married. And so many other things over the years. And I loved going to Shopwise.

I always think I want to move back to Monsey and give my kids the wonderful experience we had growing up there. Unfortunately that doesn't exist anymore. Monsey has changed so much, I get so sad every time I go back and see the multi family houses on small lots and all the traffic.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:16 pm
No more elzees for a while already.

Remember Jay stores, underworld near pathmark?
Also I miss baby garden.

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:20 pm
Shoe town - that was on 59 in front of evergreen.
Then action mart, and now polka dots, apple Bank and some other stores are in that location.
I can't remember we're the original Nagel housewares was. It took over amazing savings, and before that it was near nussies. But where was it before?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:39 pm
thanks wrote:
Shoe town - that was on 59 in front of evergreen.
Then action mart, and now polka dots, apple Bank and some other stores are in that location.
I can't remember we're the original Nagel housewares was. It took over amazing savings, and before that it was near nussies. But where was it before?

The empty property where Rockland Kosher does the rides on chol hamoed. One stop, a baby store and housewares. They had 2-3 aisles
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics