Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need additional income to afford DS's tuition--any ideas?
1  2  3  Next

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:54 pm
DS is in mesivta and after bargaining down his tuition it's still way over our budget. I already have a full-time job but I have to come up with the money somehow. (No, dh can't contribute, let's please not go there.)

So...I don't work on Sundays and I can put in several hours at night. I'm excellent with technology and I'm good at writing, editing, and proofreading. For a while (many years ago) I wrote research papers but that's a gray area so I'm not sure I want to do that. I thought of tutoring privately but there are so many available tutors that it's unlikely I'll find anything. I'm a fast learner and I stay committed to projects I start. I'm not picky about the pay, I just need to come up with $800 per month ($200/week).

Any ideas? Suggestions? Please post or PM me.

Thank you!

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:56 pm
I know women who teach hebrew school in non frum places it pays really well. I dont know if that is an option for you.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:00 pm
Which area of the globe are you located at?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:00 pm
Can you do weekend babysitting? Meaning having children who's parents go away for a full weekend etc. , they sleep by you too . People charge a few hundred a weekend to do this. Thursday night through Sunday Night for example.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:02 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I know women who teach hebrew school in non frum places it pays really well. I dont know if that is an option for you.

I don't think I know enough about Judaism to teach others. I'm certified in secular subjects though, and have several college degrees (not TTI), which I probably should have mentioned earlier.

In any case, you gave me food for thought. Maybe I'll call Oorah and see if they have anything. I don't need a stimulating part-time job; any work will do.

Thanks for responding!

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:04 pm
A friend of mine taught 7th graders pirkei avos. It was nothing super deep and textual but she made great money.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:05 pm
Dogsitting on Rover.com. It is a lot easier than babysitting. You can limit to jobs where the dog is brought to stay at your house.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
Dogsitting on Rover.com. It is a lot easier than babysitting. You can limit to jobs where the dog is brought to stay at your house.

I'm scared of animals, but I appreciate that you took the time to respond..

Babysitting sounds like an idea though. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if there is even a need for Sunday babysitters. Maybe I'll take out an ad in the paper.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
A friend of mine taught 7th graders pirkei avos. It was nothing super deep and textual but she made great money.

That sounds like something basic that I can do. Do you have any idea whom I would call or where I can find a job like this?

I really appreciate your ideas!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:26 pm
I know someone who teaches at a non-Jewish online college. I think you just need a college degree to do it, doesn't matter in what. She makes it sound like it's pretty basic and it's some extra cash. I think you can also do it on your own time like you post an assignment and then grade it when you get a chance type of thing as opposed to set hours.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:39 pm
Look into online typing and transcription jobs.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:39 pm
Sunday clubs for girls. If you don't have a skill to share, you can do something basic like baking.

rgr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:53 pm
Teach English to Chinese students online Google VIP kids
You can do this in the evenings

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:54 pm
https://t.vipkid.com.cn/ Teach English online

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:06 pm
Wishing you luck Op.
I think the babysitting on Sundays or overnight would be awesome, huge need. For a girl to sleep in my house I paid $120 a night so it can be great pay.

Off topic but can you fill me in on Lakewood Mesivta tuition rates?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:07 pm
Also, instead of going the research paper maybe you can work with college students as a collaborative coach to help them learn the skills to write their own papers?

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:08 pm
Writing articles for a magazine?

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:40 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Look into online typing and transcription jobs.

I did. I type fast (somewhere around 80 wpm, last I checked) so this was my first thought. For someone putting in the number of hours I would, including Sundays--outside of my full-time job--the average monthly earning is $250. I need more but if I'm desperate maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the reminder!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:46 pm
mandr wrote:
Writing articles for a magazine?

I thought about this one. The writing isnt the issue; for me, the challenge is coming up with a topic people want to read about...except mental health. When given a subject/title I can run with it but how would I go about getting that? I wouldn't know what's in demand and I doubt that the editors of large magazines have the time of day to give me.

I'm not trying to be difficult or pessimistic, I promise, I'm just realistically considering everything. I'm taking every suggestion seriously and I really appreciate them, ladies!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
Which area of the globe are you located at?

Lakewood. Sorry!

I can travel on Sundays, though.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics