Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need additional income to afford DS's tuition--any ideas?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:54 pm
run a creative writing workshop for teens?
See if any Jewish publishing houses or magazines are looking for proofreaders or editors.
There are websites where you can offer your editing services and people hire you. Here are some: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/.....50364

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:14 pm
Raisin wrote:
run a creative writing workshop for teens?
See if any Jewish publishing houses or magazines are looking for proofreaders or editors.
There are websites where you can offer your editing services and people hire you. Here are some: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/.....50364

This link looks interesting. I'll put aside some time tonight to go through it carefully. Thanks so much!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:36 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Can you do weekend babysitting? Meaning having children who's parents go away for a full weekend etc. , they sleep by you too . People charge a few hundred a weekend to do this. Thursday night through Sunday Night for example.

I work until late Friday afternoon and leave very early on Monday morning. From Friday afternoon until Sunday evening would be ideal, though, because my kids are older and they love to help out with babies. Maybe for someone that has a simcha and can't take their children along. I have the playing and sleeping room so that would be fine.

Do any of you ladies see a need for this? Would you trust a random person with your children for that long? If there's really a demand then this sounds like a good idea.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone who teaches at a non-Jewish online college. I think you just need a college degree to do it, doesn't matter in what. She makes it sound like it's pretty basic and it's some extra cash. I think you can also do it on your own time like you post an assignment and then grade it when you get a chance type of thing as opposed to set hours.

Are you able to ask her how she got into that? I did some poking around about this and it looks like they all want people that have online teaching experience. I'm going to keep at it because I really like this idea.

Thanks!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:40 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Sunday clubs for girls. If you don't have a skill to share, you can do something basic like baking.

My daughter is doing that. I toyed with the idea but I don't know if I want to step on her toes. Also, in the neighborhood that I live people hesitate to pay $8 for 2 1/2 hours of clubs, so...

Thanks for the idea, though.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:41 pm
Don't even start with writing for Jewish publications. They are inundated with writers so they could be very picky and don't pay much.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:42 pm
smileforamile wrote:
https://t.vipkid.com.cn/ Teach English online

I like this one. I have some ESL students in my own classroom so this might just happen. I just filled out their application. Say a prayer that it works!

Thanks for the link!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
Wishing you luck Op.
I think the babysitting on Sundays or overnight would be awesome, huge need. For a girl to sleep in my house I paid $120 a night so it can be great pay.

Off topic but can you fill me in on Lakewood Mesivta tuition rates?

Overnight babysitting won't work because I leave too early in the morning, but Shabbos and Sundays work. If you hear of anyone that's looking for it, PM me and I'll give it a try. I probably won't charge a lot because I'm just starting out.

I honestly don't know what other places charge tuition but I nearly keeled over when I heard how much they're asking for--more than double I've ever paid for any of my kids. I asked for a discount (I assume they start high and expect people to ask) but it wasn't a significant drop. I'm not complaining because I really want him to be matzliach in yeshiva and if it means additional work for me, so be it. He's my only son.

Last edited by groisamomma on Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

ahuva06

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:54 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I honestly don't know what other places charge tuition but I nearly keeled over when I heard how much they're asking for--more than double I've ever paid for any of my kids. I asked for a discount (I assume they start high and expect people to ask) but it wasn't a significant drop. I'm not complaining because I really want him to be matzliach in yeshiva and if it means additional work for me, so be it. He's my only son.

I just want to say kol hakavod to you for going the extra mile for your son's hatzlocha. It should be a zechus for you!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:55 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Don't even start with writing for Jewish publications. They are inundated with writers so they could be very picky and don't pay much.

Thanks for this. I was thinking along the same lines.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:05 pm
oneofakind wrote:

It's interesting you say this, because I know people who really supplement their incomes this way.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:14 pm
After being busy with this since 6 am today, I finally landed an interview for next week. Say a prayer for me, ladies!

I'm still open to ideas and still pursuing the ones posted here. Thank you everyone!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:40 pm
the person I asked said she teaches at University of Phoenix. You have to have a masters in the subject area they need teachers for. It tells you the opening right on their site.
Don't know if you have a masters degree or not but that's the info.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:50 pm
I've written a bit for Jewish publications. They pay a decent rate per word if you are providing topics they want, with research, interviews, as opposed to your waxing about your personal musings. However, considering the hours that go into these articles, it is only cost effective if you are a quick writer. And there is always the risk that they will want you to rewrite the article to suit their needs...unpaid work. For me, it will never be more than a hobby.

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:53 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I thought about this one. The writing isnt the issue; for me, the challenge is coming up with a topic people want to read about...except mental health. When given a subject/title I can run with it but how would I go about getting that? I wouldn't know what's in demand and I doubt that the editors of large magazines have the time of day to give me.

I'm not trying to be difficult or pessimistic, I promise, I'm just realistically considering everything. I'm taking every suggestion seriously and I really appreciate them, ladies!

I was actually approached to write for a local publication (and I'm no writer!) on a specific topic. I declined because that area had no interest for me but I told the editor what I DO enjoy writing about and she gave me some topics for future issues. I write pretty quickly and I found it nice to earn $150 for a research article that took me an hour to write.

flmommy

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:57 pm
Can you donate your services to the mesivta for an extra break in tuition? Offer to write the weekly /monthly newsletter or be in charge of something for a bigger break.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:01 pm
groisamomma wrote:
My daughter is doing that. I toyed with the idea but I don't know if I want to step on her toes. Also, in the neighborhood that I live people hesitate to pay $8 for 2 1/2 hours of clubs, so...

Thanks for the idea, though.

$8? I though it was at least $20 for 1.5 hours. But maybe those are for classes that teach skills, art, song, dance etc. The cheaper clubs are more to keep kids busy, I guess?

Optione

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:34 pm
groisamomma wrote:

I'm not trying to be difficult or pessimistic, I promise, I'm just realistically considering everything. I'm taking every suggestion seriously and I really appreciate them, ladies!

As I was reading your responses, I was actually thinking how pleasant and calm you sound!

ROFL

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:38 pm
SAT tutoring on line pays really well. Google it and you will find loads of sites to go to

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone who teaches at a non-Jewish online college. I think you just need a college degree to do it, doesn't matter in what. She makes it sound like it's pretty basic and it's some extra cash. I think you can also do it on your own time like you post an assignment and then grade it when you get a chance type of thing as opposed to set hours.

I have a friend who does this. There is a regularly scheduled class time.

There are for profit after school programs that hire teachers.

Also, I think you should consider tutoring. It pays well. And you have a leg up that you are certified.

Hatzloucha
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics