Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Medication frustration vent

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:20 pm
I don’t know if it’s just me but everything Time I need to get a new prescription it’s always a whole process and something else.

This weeks issue. Trying a new medication. Dr told me she’ll prescribe a base dose and then smaller 10 mg dose and we can combine them until we found what works with instructions on how to do so.

I had gotten only the base prescription and called the doc for them to add the additional 10. Then call the insurance company to make sure it can be approved. After speaking with them they don’t approve it and I need the doc to call in the higher dose. Call the pharmacy to make sure they get the new prescription. Call the insurance to make sure. They process approval. Call the pharmacy to let them know they can rerun the prescription now that it’s approved. They tell me let me check if I have the meds yes. Should be ready in an hour. 3 hours later. We’re woekjng on it it will be ready at 6. At 7 I go to the pharmacy. Wait online 20 mins. Oh we don’t have the full dose we’ll order it for Thursday. Comes Thursday I call to find out what happened. Oh they never send it. They are nice enough to call around to find another branch that has it. Calls the doc to tell them to call into the new pharmacy. Apparently they don’t realize the urgency and don’t call it in on Time.

I had wanted to start the new dose on shabbos anyhow but it’s just so frustrating that it’s always an isssue. If it’s not thsnthen it’s “oh we can only fill every 30 days and only give u 30 lillls” so if I need it before school I am either going at midnight or at 6 am to get it in time.

Because it’s a controlled substance they can’t transfrr the prescription them sleves. Ther is no paper prescription that I can go around and find. Pharmacy that has what I need so I am left relying on other people
I get that the govt wants to add a layer of protections against prescription drug abuse but making it so hard for the people who actually need it isn’t fair either. I am lucky I am interested in filling it for my child. But I can’t imagine how someone who may be reluctant about being dependent on meds may deal with these issues

Wow thanks for lettting me get this all off my chest and please let me know if this is just me or this is the system

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:32 pm
Let me share a wacko crazy idea that helps me whenever this sort of thing happens. Disregard if you think it's rubbish, or of you have read it here before (I have posted this several times).

In this generation, saying and writing words are a very important part of the hishtadlus required to get anything done. So whereas they could build the Eiffel tower and all other buildings older than about 100 years without a single telephone call, text message or email, imagine how many words would need to be written and spoken just to put up a garage these days.

The same is true for raising children. It just all requires more words- emails to teachers, phone call, WhatsApps and etc. Words that were not required to raise a child 100 years ago.

This is all ok because the world was created through words, so it makes sense that as we get closer and closer to Moshiach, the correct hishtadlus for anything will involve more and more words.

So yes you had a lot calls to make and many words to say. Hope that it is all good histadlus and you see good results soon.

So yes imho it is the "system", meaning the whole system of the creation and culmination of the universe,

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:17 pm
A few practical tips from someone who has dealt with this.

1) If our doctor writes "for ADHD" on the scrip, then he can order 60 days instead of 30.

2) Many docs, during medication trials, order a small enough dosage that you can take 2 or 3 pills as your base dose, then add. It seems to be 7-10 days later that a new scripis readily accepted by insurance, so there's enough to gradually up the dosage to last that long.

3). The pharmacy can generally do a refill a couple of days before the last pill. You can ask how far in advance you are allowed to order.

Take an old pill bottle. Put in one pill for each day in advance of the end that you can do a refill. Wrap in foil, and keep in a safe place. When the rest of the bottle runs out, you'll know it's time to refill. That gives you a small cushion so that you're not frantically trying to fit your life around pharmacy/doctor hours at the last second.

None of this guarantees that you'll never have another week like this one. But it might put a few more odds in your favor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)