Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Severance pay, pay out for vacation days

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 10:49 am
My company is closing, it's a division of a bigger company. They say it's not making money so they have to close it. Small business. What is standard for severance pay? Should I be getting vacation days I didn't use paid out? I was saving them for December:(

Mommy1:)

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
My company is closing, it's a division of a bigger company. They say it's not making money so they have to close it. Small business. What is standard for severance pay? Should I be getting vacation days I didn't use paid out? I was saving them for December:(

Call your state to find out what your rights are as an employee. Call your Company's HR rep to find out what their policies are for unused vacation/sick time. You might be eligible for unemployment and cobra too.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:12 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
Call your state to find out what your rights are as an employee. Call your Company's HR rep to find out what their policies are for unused vacation/sick time. You might be eligible for unemployment and cobra too.

Unfortunately its a smallish company so no hr dept.

cm

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:13 am
This is probably all in the employee handbook.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:14 am
Whatever it says in the employee handbook. Some companies will pay out and some clearly state that they won't.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:15 am
amother wrote:

AFAIK, in the US, there is no obligation to pay severance unless you have an employment contract that requires it. There is, however, an obligation to pay accrued vacation.

I don't think that a small division of a larger company is subject to the WARN Act, but you should look into it

Good luck.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:16 am
It's a very small unofficial company. All I had was a contract which doesn't say anything Sad and no hr dept, no one to speak to except my boss. He says th company has no money so he doesn't want to give me any severance or vacation days !

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:29 am
There is no legal requirement to pay severance but I believe most states do require that one pay vacation days. You should check with the applicable department in your state in terms of that. How many days vacation have you accrued.

Best of luck finding a new better position.

You should file with unemployment immediately - it's easily done online now.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:37 am
Amarante wrote:
There is no legal requirement to pay severance but I believe most states do require that one pay vacation days. You should check with the applicable department in your state in terms of that. How many days vacation have you accrued.

I have 4 days left....

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:37 am
Amarante wrote:

I have 4 days left....

Mommy1:)

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
AFAIK, in the US, there is no obligation to pay severance unless you have an employment contract that requires it. There is, however, an obligation to pay accrued vacation.

I don't think that a small division of a larger company is subject to the WARN Act, but you should look into it

Good luck.

Unfortunately not true in all states... I just went through this myself. Company shut the local office, anyone who didn't use their accrued PTO lost their PTO.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:44 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
Unfortunately not true in all states... I just went through this myself. Company shut the local office, anyone who didn't use their accrued PTO lost their PTO.

I'm in NJ. Any idea on the laws?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics