Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nervous! Leaving baby at my in laws overnight

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:22 pm
My sister is getting married in 2 weeks. My in laws are the only one who would be able to babysit my 2.5yr old daughter that night. Although she goes to sleep nicely at home and sleeps through the night. AND As much as I know she’s happy in their house. (I have some sister/brother n laws home) I am a bit nervous that she’ll tantrum or carry on before she goes to sleep there.
Would you prepare your toddler in advance and tell them you’ll be dropping them off and picking them up the next morning? Would you just go as if your going for a regular visit and then put your child to sleep once they get tired without mentioning that you will be leaving the house?

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:26 pm
Why don't you take her to her aunt's wedding?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:26 pm
I domt believe in tricking kids: I think they'll learn that what you say doesn't mean anything. But I also wouldn't prepare her 2 weeks in advance: I think that speaks more to your anxiety than hers. A few days before I would tell her thar she's going on a special trip to Grandma. Have her pack a favorite toy or doll. Make it something exciting. And try not to stress about it. She'll be fine!

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:32 pm
Theres nothing to be nervous about, so she'll tantrum, it's ok. Shes not a newborn. Shes going to her grandma.
But do tell her a day or two before that shell be spending the night with grandma, shes old enough to understand. Make is sound exciting & fun.
Amother mauve, toddlers don't belong at weddings.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:00 pm
Don’t make her wonder if mommy will ever return.
Make her trust you.

Tell her she will sleep in bubbys house, show her the bed if you get a chance, and explain that mommy will be back when she wakes up In the morning.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:

I don’t take kids under a certain age to weddings. They get overwhelmed and I want to enjoy myself. I have a sitter in my house until after the wedding.

Op, don’t be nervous! Just make her excited. Tell her 1-2 days in advance that she’s going to bobby and pack up her favorite doll etc.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
My sister is getting married in 2 weeks. My in laws are the only one who would be able to babysit my 2.5yr old daughter that night. Although she goes to sleep nicely at home and sleeps through the night. AND As much as I know she’s happy in their house. (I have some sister/brother n laws home) I am a bit nervous that she’ll tantrum or carry on before she goes to sleep there.
Would you prepare your toddler in advance and tell them you’ll be dropping them off and picking them up the next morning? Would you just go as if your going for a regular visit and then put your child to sleep once they get tired without mentioning that you will be leaving the house?

Of course you should prepare her! 2 1/2is old enough to understand, and if you just try too put her to sleep without telling her the deal, if she awakens in middle of the night, she will be frightened and will lose trust in you. Tell it to her as if it’s a big treat because now she’s “a big enough girl” to have a sleepover,

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:29 pm
Just curious, are you in laws not invited to your sister’s wedding? I am curious because in my community in laws would definitely be invited and if they wouldn’t be then they would be very upset so I am wondering what the customs are in other communities.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious, are you in laws not invited to your sister’s wedding? I am curious because in my community in laws would definitely be invited and if they wouldn’t be then they would be very upset so I am wondering what the customs are in other communities.

Of course Theyre are invited. They’ll be at the wedding for 2-3 hours. But like I mentioned I have 3 sister n laws old enough to babysit who would be staying home.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:

Op here, I don’t think my 2 1/2 yr old daughter belongs at the wedding. I’ll take her along to the shabbos sheva brochos. But having her at there would be an extra burden on me and I would like to enjoy and be present at the wedding. She has a good bedtime routine and she wouldn’t even appreciate if I brought her along.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics